New rescue dog advice please

5 posters

Go down

New rescue dog advice please Empty New rescue dog advice please

Post by Bully-Lover Sat Nov 07 2015, 20:44

Hi

Guys im new and thought i would ask some much needed questions before i adopt a new friend in the near future!

I have a 5 year old cat and i live in a completely open plan house and im worried about sleeping arrangments for my new friend.

I do not want the dog and cat to be left alone together for both of their safety but im short of ideas of how to go about it. Even if the dog has passed a cat test.

I do have a large dog crate but is it too much for a new dog to be put in one to sleep through the night? What about a puppy pen?

I would have him/her sleep in my room but it isnt big enough.

So any advice?

Thanks alot guys Big Grin

Bully-Lover
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New rescue dog advice please Empty Re: New rescue dog advice please

Post by -Ian- Sat Nov 07 2015, 20:48

Hi & New rescue dog advice please Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrowIf you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrowWe have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
New rescue dog advice please Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New rescue dog advice please B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Nov 07 2015, 20:53

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

This is a regular question so you should find plenty about it on the forum. The first thing to consider is where the cat can escape to. There should be somewhere safe up high ideally.

A baby gate is a great idea as the cat can slip through the bars but not the bull in a china shop that is a Staffy Big Grin

Crating can work but I never use one but if used correctly can be fine for short durations. A much better option would be to confine your dog to one room if possible with the use of a gate.

I'm sure others will be able to add ideas.

New rescue dog advice please B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Bully-Lover Sat Nov 07 2015, 20:59

Hi

Thanks for the speedy reply!

There isnt really anywhere safe for the cat to run. There are only 3 doors inside my house Smile The bathroom and 2 bedrooms. The living room and kitchen is completely open plan. There is no frame to attach a baby gate to.

Is there anything bigger then a gate? lol

Bully-Lover

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 07 2015, 21:03

Hi and good on you for wanting to take on a rescue.

It does sound like a tricky situation if I have to be honest. I personally don't like crates for anything more than minimal use and particularly with a rescue. Depending on how long they have been in a centre, a rescue dog could find a crate more stressful than another would. I would also always suggest crate training a dog before using, which you won't have the option of doing.

I wouldn't rely on a puppy pen to keep an adult staffie in, and I'm not sure I'd rely on a baby gate either if the cat's safety is a potential issue. Chaos can clear a 5 bar gate if he puts his mind to it.

If you asked most of our staffies where they would choose to sleep, it would be in bed with you. Mine sleep under the duvet and I know they're not the only ones who do. How would you feel about that?

I volunteer at a rescue centre and I know our dogs are only shown as cat friendly if the staff are fairly confident. But, we all know that what you see in the centre is only what you see, and it might not be the whole story. You are right to be cautious. That's not to say don't do it, but your eyes are wisely open.

I'm not a cat person - others can advise better on that score - but the main advice is to make sure you provide your cat with plenty of high places if it does feel the need to get away. Even if that means buying a cheap 2nd hand bookcase or something, it's important that your cat knows it has that option.

My other advice is to keep the dog on a long lead and harness when they are together until you are confident that he really is relaxed about the cat. That way you have a safety net.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bully-Lover Sat Nov 07 2015, 21:12

Hi

I was planning on having the dog on a lead at all times while i can monitor them but its mainly at night and sleeping arrangements im stumped.

I would have him/her on my bed but OH doesnt like that. Says thats a pet free zone. Lol

Im unsure what to do

Bully-Lover

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 07 2015, 21:13

Get OH to sleep on the couch? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinW Sat Nov 07 2015, 21:15

How old is the dog ? the cat will stay out of the way till its sure. My big cat stayed on top of the kitchen cupboard for weeks, Iza was a pup and the cats boss her around now. Beware, cats go for eyes with very sharp claws lol they are not so innocent.
ColinW
ColinW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Iza
Dog(s) Ages : 1.8 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 633

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Sun Nov 08 2015, 07:31

Welcome from me and Misty. Great to hear about the rescue, lovely to hear of a dog having a new forever home. I'm not a fan of crates either, so can't really offer any advice. My hubby and I were adamant that we were only going to let Misty in our bed in the morning to say hello before we got up. We bought her a lovely soft huge doggy bed. That was used for about a week, guess where she sleeps every night? Yep in the middle of our bed, we perch on the sides hoping not to fall out. We are scared to move incase it wakes Misty up,and honestly, we wouldn't have it any other way. The not in the bed rule is easy to say before you have a dog, it doesn't always last once they have arrived! Good luck with your new addition.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinW Sun Nov 08 2015, 17:20

regarding babygates if in own house chances are wont jump over cause they know not too. Friend has 2 massive akitas and baby gate kitchen with no probs. Took them and babygate to his fathers house while he was away and they just jumped over Laughing but never when back home.

Was a lifesaver in my house, not used now.
ColinW
ColinW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Iza
Dog(s) Ages : 1.8 years
Support total : 633

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun Nov 08 2015, 19:05

Hi there if your home is open plan this may be idea to fill the gap buy the boxes and fill them and the units pretty sturdy. If you cant attach a babygate its all i can think of .http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/50305739/.

New rescue dog advice please B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317