How to calm him down? Stop jumping?

3 posters

Go down

How to calm him down? Stop jumping? Empty How to calm him down? Stop jumping?

Post by Titans mama Wed Nov 07 2012, 08:57

So Titans nearly 11 months old and we have ha him
For about 5 months. He was not trained when we got him at 6mo.

I have a few things bugging me.

When people come to visit he gets really exited, jumping And mouthing them, if they turn round and ignore his behaviour he gets worse, when the guest sits down he will pounce on there face (despite the fact they will be holding my 1year old son) he has gave my mum 2 black eyes by jumping on her face. And almost made her cry by excitedly biting her nose when she ignored him. Help?!

Him pouncing on u is a big problem, he does it most the time snd have spilt countless hot cups of tea and so worried my son gets burnt.

Another is stealing food, when we eat we have to put him in his crate, he was having his supper last night (he's on wag) and when he saw my son was eating somthing he left his supper pounced on my son pushing him over and ate his snack.

And the other Is just how he's so on top all the time, he had to lie on top of me AND my son when he has his bottle, if I push him off he continues to come back

Thanks in advance
Titans mama
Titans mama
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Titan
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How to calm him down? Stop jumping? Empty Re: How to calm him down? Stop jumping?

Post by Titans mama Wed Nov 07 2012, 09:12

Oh and another is he follows me all the time, I'm a stay at home mum, he will be sleeping on the couch and ill get up to change my sons nappy literally just on the floor and he will wake up and come and basically sit on y knee, then I have to push him away thorough the whole nappy change as he tried to lick little ones bum and nappy, but he won't listen when I say no
Titans mama
Titans mama

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

How to calm him down? Stop jumping? Empty Re: How to calm him down? Stop jumping?

Post by janey Wed Nov 07 2012, 09:24

When visitors come, keep him onlead, extend the length of lead lead the calmer he becomes, or you could use a baby gate, although that will only keep him out the way, rather than solve the problem. As for your baby I am afraid I wouldn't want to advise as I have no experience of that. You need to teach him a firm sit and stay, do this by using treats and repetion, they honestly don't take too long to pick things up and also make sure he is getting 2 good walks a day, there much better when tired. A change of diet might help also as wag isn't the best of foods, this can effect there behaviour Xx

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 09:40

Janey's advice is good. Keep him on the lead when visitors come over and tell anyone that comes over to completely ignore him until he's calm. Then they can give him gentle praise and maybe you can give him a treat for it. I know you're already getting them to ignore him, but if he's on the lead, they can ignore him and they'll be safe from him jumping at them.

Also, Wagg is meant to be...not that great a food. Here's a list of some good ones: http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

I feed Loki Wainwright's, which is meant to be good, and I, personally, haven't had any problems. I think Wagg is one of those foods that can make dogs very hyperactive, so though I'm sure switching his food won't solve the problem, it might help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 10:15

I agree with Janey as well. It just takes patience and consistancy. Also if you could have people come over more frequently he will get used to having them in the house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 10:46

Hello, welcome to the forum.

What a pickle! They can really try your patience at times, can't they? As Janey says, when people come to your house, put him on a lead and give whoever is visiting a handful of treats. Keep him with you until he is calm & then allow him to approach one of your guests. As long as he is calm he can be given a treat but only if he stays on the floor without jumping up at all! If gets excited, take him away to sit with you again & try again when he's calm.

You need to start to teach him some really strong sit, stay, down & leave commands - work on those several times a day for about 5 minutes each time & he'll begin to respond quite quickly.

When you're eating or drinking, make sure that he stays off sofas/chairs & sits (or lays down) nicely. Again, if necessary, put him on a lead until he starts to understand.

The following you sounds like a little seperation anxiety, which will lessen as he settles down more with you. As he gets more training & more 'at home' with you he will feel able to stay by himself when you move.

Everybody must do the same things, though, or he'll get confused.

If at all possible get him off of Wagg & on to a better food - it's almost certainly making him hyperactive. If you can afford it, James Wellbeloved is a good one for reducing hyperactivity, or maybe a fish based one like Fish4dogs (but that's more expensive).

Back to top Go down

Post by Titans mama Wed Nov 07 2012, 10:52

Thanks I will try him on the lead today. Stair gate doesn't work he jumps on the walls lol and can almost clear it, oh I never knew wag wasn't good he wa on somthing else which was recommended but changed because my local super market only ha small bags and also won't lie price came into it aswell
Titans mama
Titans mama

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Nov 07 2012, 11:33

Buy it online www.chemistdirect.co.uk is great Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Wed Nov 07 2012, 13:59

We are working on everything above--Callie loves to jump and greet. We have not needed the lead just yet but our trainer says that is next step.

I also found that having everyone be still, speaking quietly without a lot of movement, standing where they come into the foyer is also helpful--i.e. not only is she ignored, but nothing going on that she can react to. And as soon as she is calm she gets lots of pets from the guest and a treat.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down