Debs01
jshrew
stella
Gazagem
lovemystaffies
Luffy
11 posters

Go down

Jumping - When did it stop, if ever? Empty Jumping - When did it stop, if ever?

Post by Luffy Wed Sep 24 2014, 10:00

Hi,

Louie is now 9 months old and starting to get very heavy and chunky (about 21kgs). We have taken him to puppy classes in which he did very well and responded well to training, training has also continued after this but we cannot stop him jumping. He knows that he shouldn't be doing it and he doesn't jump up at us anymore, just other people out walking.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's dog had a problem at this age and stopped when they got older / more mature?

Thanks

Luffy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Jumping - When did it stop, if ever? Empty Re: Jumping - When did it stop, if ever?

Post by lovemystaffies Wed Sep 24 2014, 10:08

Madge always jumped and will now indoors if you let her. We worked hard on recall out walking and this has worked; whenever we meet anyone we call her in and she walks to heel (with constant reminders). It took a long time and consistent work. I don't think age makes a difference.
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Jumping - When did it stop, if ever? Empty Re: Jumping - When did it stop, if ever?

Post by Gazagem Wed Sep 24 2014, 10:15

Skye is 4 and will still jump up if you get her excited but she doesn't do it as much and will quickly calm down and sit when told.
Keep calm and use treats to help focus them but it takes time and for some people they still encourage Skye to jump.
Gazagem
Gazagem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy Wed Sep 24 2014, 10:53

Thing is his recall is good but when he comes back i have to put him on a lead to stop him running back and jumping. Once he sees someone else he is so excited that nothing else matters. Thinking he might calm down a bit when we get him neutered but i'm not holding out on that, maybe try a training lead again

Luffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Sep 24 2014, 20:00

sash still gets excited when people come to our house to see her and she will still jump up at her favorite people Laughing
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Sep 24 2014, 20:06

Yep still really working on that 'sit for fuss' Ledger is fine with me and about 99% with people in the street although some really encourage it! The issue is visitors he just gets so excited even a salmon steak didn't work and he caught me out the other week by launching waist height at my mortgage advisor. It's a tricky one as most people aren't visiting regularly so it's a very long slow process but seen on the dogs secret lives last night the getting a dog hyper with a ball etc but then treat and fuss when all feet on the floor so going to work on that
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Sep 25 2014, 11:20

I'm trying to get Axl out of jumping up at people, he gets so excited! He doesn't jump at me or my OH but he will jump at any visitors and anyone on the street if they try to make a fuss of him, it's either jumping or throwing himself on the floor and kicking his legs about Rolling Eyes
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 25 2014, 11:45

My Roxy still jumps with excitement - mainly when people are encouraging her though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 25 2014, 16:38

Vinnie still does it at 3,but he goes on the lead or for time out if it gets out of hand. Never does it when we are out though just at home Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy Mon Oct 20 2014, 17:46

Thought I would update this post with how I have cured our dog from jumping... A training collar!

Within 3 days it has changed our lives. Louie jumped once and I buzzed him at 1/5 of the power. The rest of the walk he didn't jump at all. 2nd day was exactly the same. 3rd day he didn't jump at all and hasn't since. Now we can walk anywhere without worrying if there is a small child round the corner etc and today he even heeled across the car park with people and dogs, off the lead.

Today am elderly lady commented on how placid and calm he is!

Please don't think that he is doing this because he is scared of the shock, he is the same lovely, friendly and happy dog. The shock is very weak and it's not done to hurt him, it's done to snap him out of the moment where he cannot hear commands because he is so excited. By far the best £25 I have ever spent

Luffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Oct 21 2014, 10:06

I personally wouldn't use a shock collar. With lots of positive reinforcement and consistent training he will get there!

Bane is just over a year old and he still forgets himself when he gets excited! Like Jules the people we have visit don't on a regular basis and when we do see people at the park for example they let him jump no matter how many times I say he shouldn't and we are trying to train him.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Tue Oct 21 2014, 13:44

Luffy, you might like to read this: http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232734877129&mode=prd
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Tue Oct 21 2014, 16:23

Agree with Emma shock collars are not nice its really only masking the problem.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Jumping - When did it stop, if ever? B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy Tue Oct 21 2014, 17:06

Well, this morning was the 1st morning that we didn't use it and it's been brilliant. No jumping at all now.

I understand people don't want to use them and this was a last resort for us after Louie jumped up at a lady and hurt her, he's also knocked over 2 young children, luckily their parents were fine as they knew he was not being aggressive. I'm not trying to get people to use one either however I was so surprised with the result I thought I would mention it in this post.

Luffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Oct 21 2014, 21:21

We have had the exact same experiences as you Luffy but I could still never justify using a shock collar. It just means I need to up my game in watching out when he is on his long lead and also to spend more time training him.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by RiV Wed Oct 22 2014, 01:08

Good question I was wondering the same Harrie jumps at people and sometimes they go to bend over and she hits them in the face.

Thanks for the info
RiV
RiV
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Nalabala Wed Oct 22 2014, 04:11

Nala still jumps (she's only 8 months) and we are just staying consistent with what we were doing as a puppy. Ignoring her until she sits (trying to do it by default rather than command). If that doesn't work we turn our back on her until we gets the point and her reward isn't a treat (we do treat in most other training things) but the treat is the pat/play she gets. Worked wonders for us when she was little but she's been losing some of her training the last couple of weeks so we are going back and doing the same to reinforce it.
Nalabala
Nalabala
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Wed Oct 22 2014, 10:08

I love Nala's cutesy ears Big Grin
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy Wed Oct 22 2014, 10:17

Louie is still the same well trained dog as he was before we used this. We really did try everything to get him to stop but he just wasn't getting it and as I mentioned in the previous post he is getting very heavy and the jumping just had to stop. The training collar has done exactly what we bought it for, in under a week, and will be going back in the box and probably on eBay.

Luffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nalabala Wed Oct 22 2014, 10:29

lovemystaffies wrote:I love Nala's cutesy ears Big Grin
Hehe me too! They always stay pricked like regardless of the position of her ears.. lying down, on her side, pushed back and she is running, sticking up when alert etc. I think they make her look like a bat so we call her batty (suits her personality too haha).
Nalabala
Nalabala

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Oct 22 2014, 11:06

Depends how much u let the dog away with mia still jumps up at me sometimes but with other people particularly elderly/disabled she sits and waits on being stroked she doesnt jump on kids either.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Jumping - When did it stop, if ever? B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down