My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much

Go down

My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much Empty My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much

Post by Beckie-V Fri Oct 15 2010, 10:38

Hi, I hav 2 staffy pups- Diesel & Nala- who are 8mths old and brother and sister. Nala has been neutered, and Diesel is booked in fr 2 wks time. They are lovely dogs and hav a tremendous temperament and are fantastic with my 3 children aged 7, 5 and 15mths. They are basically everything you could wan in a staff except on times they play fight that much it drives you round the bend.

They become loonies and will bomb it all over the house chasing each other and fighting- i say fighting- but its not they are playing, sometimes it sounds as if they're fighting but they're not. They are even worse in the garden, they run round like idiots barking and growling at each other to chase 1 another, they run round the garden like a pair of loons and I was jus after some advice on how to calm it down or when I tell them to stop they stop- Ive tried several times but when they are having their mad hour- no1 else exists!

I've tried separating them for 5 mins just to calm them down but then they start crying and squealing and fretting for each other as can't bare to be separated! It gets me down on times and if I could hav control over this then they'd be perfect dogs as this is the only issue I have with them.

They are brilliant with food, they are not greedy or posseisive over their food, any of us can go up to them while they're eating and stroke them, take their food off them an they even allow our cat to eat with them, they dnt soil in the house, they don't chew in the house, they sit, lie down on command, they get excited wen visitors come, but they calm down quickly, so Ive been lucky to hav such a pair of lovely dogs, its just the hypernes of their playfighting I'm at my wits end with. Can anybody please help??? Thanks

Beckie-V
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Nala
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much Empty Re: My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much

Post by Guest Fri Oct 15 2010, 11:12

brother and sister litter mates wow you got your work cut out ha ha
basically there still pups and its just puppy play there full of energy (maybe better to say turbo charged)the only ting i can sergest is give them pleanty of excercise to keep there energy tanks from going into overload and try to calm them down when they start acting up becouse left any longer than about 2 seconds and they will just flip the play switch and go total hyper.
and hopfully they will start settleing down when through the puppy hood stage unfortuattly that could be a year or so away.

and do they ever go to far with there play fighting and start real fighting Big Grin

Back to top Go down

My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much Empty Re: My 2 8mth old Staffys get too rough on times, how can I calm them down and stop them play fighting so much

Post by Guest Fri Oct 15 2010, 12:15

As bigwazza said u have defo got ur work cut out with litter mates lol!! I would sugest u make it very clear to them what is exceptable and what is not (i no beacause i am doing it at the mo with my two, a 12 month and nearly 5 month old who sound exactly the same as urs!) Playing is okay as long as they dont take it that 1 step to far are out of control. What u said about trying 2 separate is spot on and u just have to stick with it. Eventually they will learn if they go 2 mad they will be separated from eachother which obviously they hate! Ive been doing it with mine for about 2 weeks and they are just starting to 'get it'. Now when they start bombing round the house i say a firm sharp 'ah ah' and they stop straight away and sulk off giving me daggers lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 15 2010, 12:31

Yes, it's all perseverance, I'm afraid. They'll get it in the end, even if they do think you're the wicked witch of the west for stopping their play!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down