Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour

3 posters

Go down

Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Empty Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour

Post by Harley Fri Oct 12 2012, 05:20

Hi guys,

I have a 6 month old boy who exhibits some strange behaviour and would like to know if any of you guys have experienced it with your dogs.

Harley is 6 months old and is quite a big boy, approx 17 kgs. He is extremely friendly with people and dogs but hates birds, he continually chases and barks at them.

At times he barks and growls at me, staying about 1-2 metres away. He growls, snarls and shows his teeth. To distract him I usually walk up close and put my hand near his mouth where he generally stops barking and starts licking my hand. He is desexed (at 14 weeks) and very healthy.

He also tries to nip at my hands and feet, and to me it looks like he is trying to play with me the way he plays with other dogs at the park. The problem is when I tell him to stop he then starts the barking and the growling as described above.

Im quite certain that he sees me as the alpha male and that he is not trying to challenge me...... when he is eating all I have to do is stare at him and he stops eating and more or less walks away from his food as if he is offereing it to me. Also when I offer him food he is reluctant to eat if I am very close to his bowl and waits for my command.

He is generally very excitable and Im finding it hard to train him. He knows the sit and stay commands but only willingly sits and stays when he wants.

Im a little confused. My 2 previous dogs ( a staffy and an english bull terrier) were a lot more obedient and I could control them with the tone of my voice. Harley is a challenge and seems to be very stubborn.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Harley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Empty Re: Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour

Post by Ben Fri Oct 12 2012, 05:35

Every dog is a bit different and he may in fact be more stubborn but you must be as well. The barking and growing must be stopped and you will have to give him a "quite" command and give him a treat when he stops (only when he stops). Ignore him until he does and be patient. The bird thing is normal. My dogs go crazy for all sorts of small furies and birds. The nipping can be dealt with by a strong "no biting" and turning away and ignoring until he stops. With a dog who reacts by barking and growling, I would say he is challenging you (even if you do have the food thing - which I personally wouldn't do- I just let mine be when they are eating). You cannot allow that or when he gets to the teen years he might be very difficult indeed. Be consistent and patient and you will get there. 6 months is a difficult age for many.

Check out this link for tips on the biting: http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/stopyourstaffypuppybiting.html

Last edited by bbimson on Fri Oct 12 2012, 05:38; edited 1 time in total
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Empty Re: Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour

Post by Ben Fri Oct 12 2012, 05:36

Hi & Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Advice Needed on SBT puppy behaviour Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12 2012, 06:35

Great advice from Ben , nothing to add , why don't you pop here and say hi as you are just new Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Fri Oct 12 2012, 08:19

Thanks guys, I guess I need to be consistent and patient. I need to also talk to my wife and two young children to also follow the rules. I don't know what will be more challenging. Lol.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12 2012, 09:24

Harley wrote:Thanks guys, I guess I need to be consistent and patient. I need to also talk to my wife and two young children to also follow the rules. I don't know what will be more challenging. Lol.

Sounds right to me. If everyone is not enforcing the same rules they can get confused. The barking and growling is most likely him trying to start play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12 2012, 10:42

Harley wrote:Im quite certain that he sees me as the alpha male and that he is not trying to challenge me...... when he is eating all I have to do is stare at him and he stops eating and more or less walks away from his food as if he is offereing it to me. Also when I offer him food he is reluctant to eat if I am very close to his bowl and waits for my command.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 'alpha' or 'pack leader' theories, they have basically been debunked & of no use whatsoever! Big Grin

I would also not challenge him over his food. Staring at a dog is a challenge, whether you mean it to be or not. He walks away from it because you have confused him & made him feel uncomfortable. That's why he doesn't want to eat with you near him, he's anxious that you are going to challenge him with staring. Much better to teach him the "Leave" command so that you can remove things from him (food included) if necessary.

At such a young age, you can expect the odd bit of disobedience. He's like a teenager & will push the boundaries. Just be consistent, patient and calm & he'll come through it a well nehaved & happy dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13 2012, 19:48

I agree with Caryll, why try to challenge him over his food? Let him eat in peace. No need to practise the alpha male thing over the food he has been given by you.

If he is eating something you HAVEN'T given him, and is harmful, then a strong "leave it" will be quickly learnt.

Ref the barking and growling and nipping at feet and hands, this is normal puppy behaviour. the nipping can be dealt with through consistent training that you will NOT play with him if he nips ("no" and turn your back). the barking and growling could be just his invitation to have fun with you?

As Caryll says, patience and calm is needed in these "teenage" years. He'll be OK - just no challenging stares over his food!

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Sun Oct 14 2012, 07:10

Guys, I don't have a stare off with Harley every time he eats. Lol. And I think it's a behavioural thing that when I'm around he waits for a command to eat...... as I usually make him sit before giving him food or a treat.

Anyway, I'm very proud of my little man today, I took him to an off lead area near my place yesterday and today and he behaved very well. No aggression, in fact he was quite the opposite, submissive and only hung around other dogs that were acting similarly. I am however very surprised at the conduct of some owners whose dogs were aggressive without being reprimanded. One particular dog was aggressive toward another staffy (which was very well behaved), tried to bite it whenever it got close. The staffy ignored it 3 or 4 times, and then it just snapped and went for it. The staffy owner grabbed her and reprimanded her. The other owner couldn't care less.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 19:09

Aaah - he sounds fine! And the other staffy owner was relatively lucky that the aggressive dog's owner "couldn't care less".

I'm certain that many Staff owners could tell you their own stories where their dogs have been attacked for no reason, or have retaliated when pushed beyond the point of exasperation, and then the other dog's owner will manage to make out that it was the Staff's fault! My pup was on the lead when a larger off-lead dog jumped on him and pinned him to the ground. I said "he's submitting, that's enough" and pulled the aggressive dog off and the owner said "he's just telling him off" !!! For what?

I had similar experiences with my Dobermanns when they were the "devil dogs de jour" , now it's the Staffies turn. Hopefully you don't have this anti-Staffy prejudice in Australia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:41

Staffys are very popular in Australia although there is a negative sentiment toward them by some people. So you do have to take extra care and make sure you abide by the correct dog etiquette when socializing them with other dogs. There is also a small proportion of Staffy owners who are irresponsible and encourage their dogs to be aggressive. These owners don't do the breed or other owners any favours.

This is my 3rd dog, having owned a Bull Terrier and another Staffy. All 3 had different personalities but all had the same charecteristics of being energetic, affectionate and loving.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:42

Just an update, have started taking Harley for 2 walks a day instead of 1. His Behaviour has changed dramatically and the nipping and barking/growling has stopped. He has also stopped pulling on the lead and is responding to commands off the lead.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:44

A tired dog is a good dog Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Tue Oct 16 2012, 13:46

jstaff wrote:A tired dog is a good dog Big Grin
Spot on Smile
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down