Puppy Training - advice needed

Go down

Puppy Training - advice needed Empty Puppy Training - advice needed

Post by robynnepaige Tue May 14 2013, 21:57

me and my partner recently added a new addition to the family, a 19 week female white staff Big Grin she is wonderful during the day and loves playing with her toys, but has started to try and chew our sofa, we bough her a cage to go in at night when we are in bed or at work, but i'm finding it really hard to get her settled, all of her toys and treats are in the cage with her, i've tried leaving the tele on and a light for her but she is getting really distressed Sad any suggestions are massively appreciated!
robynnepaige
robynnepaige
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Willow
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy Training - advice needed Empty Re: Puppy Training - advice needed

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 22:00

Welcome Big Grin why don't you introduce youtself and your puppy to us here? Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Well, introducing them to the cage can take a bit of time. Sounds like you've made it comfy for her, but she has to like being in there. So you don't shut the cage door on her before she's comfortable being in there, and then you only do it a few minutes at a time and gradually build it up. As well as that, you have to ignore the crying, really. She cries for attention, so if you go to her when she cries, she'll know that crying gives her what she wants, which will make her do it more. It's hard, I know, but as long as you're getting her used to the cage, she'll learn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 22:13

You're going to have to been firm, although it can be upsetting to listen to them in distress, don't go to her when she's upset wait for a break even if its only for a few seconds, so she learns. With patience & persistence I'm sure she'll learn soon enough that's it's a warm safe comfy place for her to be, good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 22:15

Same as Tara, really.

You need to introduce her to the crate gently, a minute or two at a time, first with the door open & then closing it for just a few seconds & then opening it with loads of praise.

Is she allowed to go in there whenever she wants during the day?

It'll also help if you cover the top & three sides with an old curtain or blanket so that it feels nice and cosy for her - like a den.

Back to top Go down

Post by robynnepaige Tue May 14 2013, 22:31

thanks all, yes she can get into the cage throughout the day, she has food and water bowls in there as well and most of the time she will go in there to ea and drink rather than her main bowls. it's as soon as the door is shut she will get upset. i will try the suggestion of covering the sides and top as well as praising her with going into there, she is amazingly well behaved until it comes to the cage you wouldnt believe she was only 4 1/2 months old. thank you everyone Smile
robynnepaige
robynnepaige

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Willow
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 22:39

Just persevere. Close the door, then immediately open it & praise. Do that a few times, then start to gradually (very slowly) increase the time the door is shut.

Once she's comfortable with the door shut for about 20 minutes or so, you should be ready for night time.

But be aware that she might still cry - if she does, you'll just have to be strong & ignore her, or move her crate into your bedroom!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down