new puppy advice needed

3 posters

Go down

new puppy advice needed Empty new puppy advice needed

Post by paulak Mon Apr 16 2018, 10:01

hi all. just after some advice on puppy worming and flea treatments...so I get my new puppy in around 4 weeks or so and have started to get stuff together and today went in vets to price up injections...so for £85 I will get first vaccination course
microchip
and 3months worth of flea and worm treatment, which I'm kind of ok with to begin with but I am not happy to treat for fleas every month there after as I don't like treating for things they haven't got...my last dog only had fleas 2 times in the almost 9 years we had her and some white vinegar and water in a spay bottle and a flea comb soon got rid of them, can I ask what you do on the flea subject? also I know you need to treat for worms every month for the first 6 months and then every 3 month till 1 but then I only do it twice a year using the good old fashioned worming tablets...what do you all do and lastly I always get the first injections and then the first year booster and that's it, what about you do you get them yearly or not? would appreciate all views on these questions thanks...
paulak
paulak
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : willow
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

new puppy advice needed Empty Re: new puppy advice needed

Post by gillybrent Mon Apr 16 2018, 10:55

Vaccinations first. I would certainly get the puppy ones & then the first year booster. After that it's recommended every 3 years for the core vaccines & annually for Leptospirosis (if necessary in your area - your vet should know), and if any vet tells you the core vaccines should be annually, change your vet! Many people are now getting Titre tests done after the first booster to see if immunity is present & only vaccinating if there's a need. Personally, I would vaccinate every three years until such time as it's positively proved that the vaccines last longer.

Flea treatment. I don't de flea unless there are fleas! But I know a lot of (most) vets disagree.

Worming. As you say, worm monthly until 6 months. That's where I stop, I'm afraid. Unless, of course, I feel there's a need. For example, if I were to go on holiday to an area that has lung worm, or high instances of tapeworm, then I'd worm. If my dog starts to look dull, with a dull coat & there are no other symptoms, I'll worm.

Basically, it's down to knowing your dog & spotting problems before they start!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by paulak Mon Apr 16 2018, 11:16

thanks gilly, and yes I agree with everything you said, think both people and animals are far to over medicated with stuff these days, my husband and myself use a lot of natural things these day to treat are minor ailments, like different plants and weeds. so don't feel comfortable giving a dog any kind of on going medication for something they don't have..good to know I'm not the only one with these views Smile
paulak
paulak

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Apr 17 2018, 07:44

Just be careful not to fall into the trap of 'if it's natural, it's better'.

For example Nosodes are being used by some people instead of vaccinations - there is actually no scientific evidence to support their efficacy.

Many people use garlic to repel fleas, but if your dog gets an infestation of fleas, garlic will be of little help.

It's a matter of finding the safest 'minimum'.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by paulak Tue Apr 17 2018, 12:17

yes I agree, I was meaning treating naturally with the minor stuff not anything major. I just for example don't like the idea of using flea and worm treatments every month of the dogs life if they don't actually have them...thanks
paulak
paulak

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Apr 17 2018, 12:31

paulak wrote: I just for example don't like the idea of using flea and worm treatments every month of the dogs life if they don't actually have them...thanks

I totally agree with you there! Wink

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Tue Apr 17 2018, 23:19

I don't think i ever treated lexi once for fleas in the 14 years i had her, on a horse yard. So yeah. Treat if they have it.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content