Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy

4 posters

Go down

Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy Empty Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy

Post by Fudge Sun May 29 2011, 22:39

Hi everyone

I've been thinking about getting fudge a new friend for the past few weeks and have tonight found a 8week old pup which interests both myself and partner, but I'm not sure of what things I need to know about pup + parents/questions I should ask before purchasing said puppy. I never had the problem when I got fudge as I knew the owners (member of my partners family) and had met fudges parents alot of times.

Here is picture of the puppy and description given on website:

]Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy D700b716

***for sale*** staffy pups, 2 white girls left out of a litter of 7,the middle 1 and the 1 on the left, ready to go now, got pedigree papers £200 to a good home only

The pup in the middle is the one my partner has fell in love with. I have asked breeder if it's possible to see parents at visit which they said is fine as they are family pets. So really I think I'm asking what other questions should I be asking the breeder? Hope you can help, thanks.

Fudge
Fudge
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Fudge
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy Empty Re: Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy

Post by Guest Mon May 30 2011, 00:19

Well, you could ask about health testing, but if they are pets, they probably haven't been tested!

You could also ask to see the pedigree of the pup to make sure that there is no close inbreeding (father/daughter, brother/sister, mother/son).

Also, ask if the litter has been registered at the Kennel Club (pedigree papers could mean just that - the pup's ancestors written on paper & not necassarily registered at the KC).

P.S. She does look rather pretty!

Back to top Go down

Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy Empty Re: Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy

Post by Fudge Mon May 30 2011, 18:06

Thanks for the reply Caryll, I've sent a text asking if we can see pics of parents before traveling to visit pups so should hopefully see them soon.

I've just read another topic on here in regards to having 2 bitches, I was planning on getting another bitch but that topic has kind of stopped me in my tracks. Would you/anybody else on here not recommend getting another bitch with fudge only being 9months (and the softest dog I've ever met) I'm planning on having 2 separate crates for them for a good year or so. Getting a male isn't out of the question, but I don't fancy having to keep an eye on them at all times (fudge isn't 'done' yet as hasn't had first season and I have read conflicting opinions re best time to have bitches 'done')

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Fudge
Fudge

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon May 30 2011, 19:17

I wouldnt get 2 dogs or 2 bitches but thats me personally it can work for some but for me id rather have a happy house and my 2 are great together and I very much doubt my boy could be happy sharing his home with another male. Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31 2011, 16:43

When i got vinnie a friend (skye) .. i asked the breeder a vriety of questions such as:-

*Are they vet checked
*flead and wormed
*weaned
*temperament
*about the parents
*d.o.b
etc etc etc .. theres so many thing's you can ask, and if they are a good and reliable breeder they should have no problem in answering whatever you ask! Smile.
I was always told same sex mixes are the ones most possible to go wrong, so we played safe and got a female.
Good luck! =)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31 2011, 20:48

I would always rather have one of each, as I have in the past. I've known horror stories of fights between same sex dogs (especially bitches) but I've also known people who have had no problems at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 13:41

Ive got two males and they are fine but u can never let your guard down to much....i would of got one of each sex if i had the choice. I would be more concerened at the age gap Ty is 8 months older than Kaos, we got kaos at 11 weeks when Ty was 11 months and let me tell u it was very hard work. If your prepared for that then go 4 it but it really wasnt easy lol. Personally i would wait till fudge is at least 2 x

Back to top Go down

Post by four leaf clover Thu Jun 02 2011, 12:21

I have 2 bitches and they get on fine Smile
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help/advice needed re purchasing another puppy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 14:00

I'd rather have on of each just to be on the safe side but as people here have said, it can work out fine with two of the same sex.

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Thu Jun 02 2011, 16:41

i have tthree males and they doy play very rough and take a lot of work but so worth it in the end
meny moons ago we had two male english bull terriers that nead a lot of supervision till they got to abuat 3 and then they mellowed out

fourstaffs
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : william,harry,gorgie,bella
Dog Gender(s) : malex3,female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fudge Fri Jun 03 2011, 09:03

Thanks for all the replies, I've managed to talk the OH out of it for now as I think it would be to much hard work with having fudge, a 2 year old lad and a 6 month daughter. Were going to look into it again when fudge is older Smile
Fudge
Fudge

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down