Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour

Go down

Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Empty Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour

Post by foxylady Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:38

Hi
I'm new to this forum and and looking for advice on something my new Staffy is doing.
Sophie is 11 weeks old, and I've had her for three weeks. She is my first Staffy pup, having had 3 Doberman boys over the years. (Big change I know..!)
She is a perfect dog in all other ways, and is great with other people, but her behaviour towards me has me baffled.
When I greet her on waking or coming back home, she approaches cautiously, tail between legs, then rolls on her back at my feet for a belly rub. The same happens if I say NO. I've also noticed she rarely looks me in the eyes and averts her head, and sometimes when I pick her up she growls at me.
We have lots of playing and training time and she's fine with me then, often coming onto my lap for a cuddle.
With my husband she's just the opposite...greets him like he's her long lost friend, licks him all over, and he can pick her up OK.
Can anyonyone tell me what am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Foxy

foxylady
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Empty Re: Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:47

You're not doing anything wrong. In her eyes, you're the boss! She's submitting to you. Dogs don't look their leaders in the eye, as that would be a challenge & I would say that the growl is more likely a 'grumble', just a way of her trying to communicate with you.

As she gets older the behaviour should lessen because she'll gain confidence. Just be gentle and calm with her and she'll be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 23:42

Skye does a grumble all the time, she is very vocal especially when shes been told NO! lol .. shes a diva tho' so she has no problem running up to people and saying hello, like caryll said above its probs because you are the boss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 08:19

Hi & Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Advice On New Puppy's Behaviour Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down