Advice needed about additional dog

3 posters

Go down

Advice needed about additional dog  Empty Advice needed about additional dog

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 12:51

Hi all,
I am considering getting another dog as a companion for my Tyson who is a year old. I would love another Staffie but before going off half cocked and having regrets, I thought I would get some advice as follows:
  • Is another Staffie a good idea and if so should it be another male or a female?
    Should the companion dog be a puppy (8 weeks up) or of a similar age?
    What are other suitable breeds that are big enough to discourage dominance, can take the normal rough and tumble of a Staffie but are more chilled and less energetic?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated - Thanks

Looking for a playmate

Advice needed about additional dog  Johann10

Back to top Go down

Advice needed about additional dog  Empty Re: Advice needed about additional dog

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 12:56

i have only got one, but if you were to get another staffy them a female would be best

Smile

Back to top Go down

Advice needed about additional dog  Empty Re: Advice needed about additional dog

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 13:05

I would think a female would be best since opposite sexes get along better for the most part. The same breed is fine but if you want a dog a bit less energetic there is the English Bulldog. A bit pricey and some health issues though but a lovely breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 15:27

I have two a male staffy and a male american bulldog, although some people said they would never work together, they are brilliant! They are very much the best of friends and Harvey the younger staffy adores chance Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 18:32

Ty wrote:Hi all,
I am considering getting another dog as a companion for my Tyson who is a year old. I would love another Staffie but before going off half cocked and having regrets, I thought I would get some advice as follows:
  • Is another Staffie a good idea and if so should it be another male or a female?
    Should the companion dog be a puppy (8 weeks up) or of a similar age?
    What are other suitable breeds that are big enough to discourage dominance, can take the normal rough and tumble of a Staffie but are more chilled and less energetic?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated - Thanks

Looking for a playmate

Advice needed about additional dog  Johann10
Female, younger not so much a puppy perhaps several months old.
Mastiff are very lazy laid back, playful kinda dogs, who could take the rough and tumble and still be snuggly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 19:18

While it does sometimes work out with same sex pairings, it's usually better to get a second dog of the opposite sex.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Mon Oct 03 2011, 20:49

I don't have any advice but wanted to echo what Ella said really. We had a teeny tiny (runt of the litter) Jack russel, an entire male who was 5 when we got our other rescue staff a neutered male of 16 months and they were the bestest friends ever Big Grin x
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice needed about additional dog  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1978 Mon Oct 03 2011, 21:38

We have two staffie's, two very diffrent personalities poppy very excitable and shadow very chilled. both best of friends Smile if you were looking for another it would have to be a female. we had no problems getting a pup for a companion for poppy. just make sure he gets on with he/she before you buy as we did..
chris1978
chris1978
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & Shadow
Dog Gender(s) : female , male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by haddy Mon Oct 03 2011, 21:43

What sex you get really is up to you really.
There are pros and cons to each. I personally (although different breed) have two females. my boyfriends family at one point had (two females, two males and at a later point two females four males) and the fights that they had where between male and female. (and they were same breed)

mine have never had a fight, i might be just be lucky.
If you are prepared for a second one and all the work that goes with it, then it really is your choice on sex and breed.
haddy
haddy
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mouse
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 21:49

ardvark wrote:I don't have any advice but wanted to echo what Ella said really. We had a teeny tiny (runt of the litter) Jack russel, an entire male who was 5 when we got our other rescue staff a neutered male of 16 months and they were the bestest friends ever Big Grin x

thumbs up thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04 2011, 10:10

Thanks for all your thoughts. Tyson has had an English Bull dog over for a two week stay a few months ago and they got on like a house on fire. At times a bit rough but neither were aggressive cowered.

We play at the dog park almost daily after our walks where he loves to play with Tess, a Weimerane? of about 18 months for the running and chasing games and Buckley, a bull mastiff of Tyson's age for the roll over play wrestling. It is actually amazing to see how gentle these two are with each other and how each takes turns to 'dominate' each other.

I would consider a bull dog although I am not sure I could handle too much drool and a mastiff is just to big for my living arrangements.

My concern with getting a female staffie is the possibility of them hurting each other with rough play. He also plays with Lilly at the park who is a staffie of the same age but much slighter built and although she gives as good as she gets and never backs off, I think at times Tyson does seem to hurt her and will not let her bow out of the game gracefully when she has had enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04 2011, 10:14

I did not mention that Tyson is neutered. I decided that this was the best course since I was not going to show him and was not sure I could handle full on Staffie testosterone Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04 2011, 14:03

With staffies and similar breeds they do play VERY rough compared to other breeds but i wouldn't worry about it, i've had a few people comment that my two are fighting when they are only playing Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down