Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys?

2 posters

Go down

Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys? Empty Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys?

Post by IckleMini Sat Jul 30 2011, 13:51

Hi
We're picking up our puppy next Saturday and I would like to get him some toys this week so he has lots to play with when we get him home. It's been quite a few years since I've had a dog and having been to a variety of pet stores, the choice of toys is bewildering so I was hoping you could recommend what to spend my money on?

I am planning to crate train him as well so any advice on toys he could have in there would be great. Is it worth getting him a 'cuddly teddy' to snuggle up to or is this likely to get ripped in the first five minutes of getting him home?!

Thanks
IckleMini
IckleMini
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rommel
Dog(s) Ages : 18 June 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys? Empty Re: Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:11

Hi and welcome to the forum in case I hadn't said it already. Not that I'm advertising for a company but I love the Kongs. They last a bit and you can put a frozen veggie treat inside to keep them occupied and it helps with teething.

Ropes are also one of my favorites as they always love a good game of tug.

Back to top Go down

Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys? Empty Re: Can Anybody Recommend Good Puppy Toys?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:15

Roxys fave toy (and the cheapest, she has had since we brought her home) is a piece of plain old rope which we tied knots in the end of. We throw it, she chases it, runs around with it, tosses it up with her nose etc.... Simple, cheap and fun.
Also she loves her Puppy Kong Wubba. It squeaks, and has lasted really well for us.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kong-Wubba-Puppy-Dog-Toy-Small-NEW-/150606695906?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item2310dbcde2 (sorry, it's from the Australian ebay site, but thought it would show you what I mean)

Last edited by Loopy on Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:16

hi.

i too would recommend the puppy kongs to start with. the only toy i would put in the crate would be a little teddy but with no pieces that could harm if destroyed and dont spend too much cos it will get destroyed although not immediately. woody loved his little teddy but as he got older he has grown out of most toys as he is mr destroyer!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 15:49

Hi!

I would also recommend a kong, and i put peanut butter or a really cheap low fat sandwich spread in and then freeze it. I bought harv a teddy and it is the only toy he doesn't try to destroy now. I also like the rope toys and a frisbee is the new toy in this house and he loves it!

Back to top Go down

Post by IckleMini Sat Jul 30 2011, 16:01

Thanks for all your suggestions - I was a bit hesitant at geting a kong as my last dog (a Border Collie) had one and never played with it! However, I think I'll start with one of those and a rope toy and take it from there.
IckleMini
IckleMini

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rommel
Dog(s) Ages : 18 June 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 16:27

and also a soft toy that your pup can cuddle up with at night..remember he would have been used to sleeping with his brothers and sisters, and suddenly he will be on his own... just make sure it has no eyes or anything else sewn on that Rommel can chew off and swallow down the track...

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat Jul 30 2011, 16:34

Even if they don't like playing with the kong it can be nice for stuffing (with or without freezing it afterwards). I've never had a dog that enjoyed a kong on its own, but I have a small hope I might get my puppy to play with one for training purposes (tied on a piece of rope for chasing/tugging). He loves his kong wubba snugga and wubba friends (Both are soft and fluffy, and have nice "tail" pieces to chew) and he likes his kong wubba, too - but clearly prefers the fluffy varieties. (The snugga doesn't squeak, the regular wubba and wubba friends do.) We also have a kong tails, intended for training purposes (it's got a convenient handle for tugging, plus tails for the dog to chew in addition to the kong). I really should be getting a thank you note from the Kong company by now.. LOL! I had the plain kongs already, though, but the rest are bought after I got the puppy.

Stuffed toys are a favorite, and he likes his nylabone for the occasional chewing.. His favorite tug-of-war toy is one of my old socks (handy to keep in the pocket for training, too), and all the old socks with holes and the singles that are left after the washer has a nice meal can turn into a great toy, too - just stuff the ones with holes into one that doesn't and tie a knot so they stay in there. Voila - cheap, fun, environment friendly dog toy.

A tip if you have one nearby: Ikea have great stuffies without eyes/noses and such - around here they ALWAYS last longer than those made for dogs.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down