UPDATE: recurring bladder infection

2 posters

Go down

UPDATE:   recurring bladder infection Empty UPDATE: recurring bladder infection

Post by jenpjersey Sun Jul 24 2011, 12:47

Hi folks,

Can anyone help? I am getting really frustrated, we've had Tilly since May, she was 4 1/2 months when we took her from her litter. Trouble is she has had 3 UTI's since we've had her and subsequently 3 lots of antibiotics but we are no nearer discovering why! We've been back and forth to the vet with numerous pee samples and the last time (2 weeks ago) I booked her in for a full exam, she has had a full analysis including scan and ultra sound which ofund nothing serious wrong. She has healthy kidneys and they couldn't grow crystals so no stones either. She is 5 days clear of the last bout of antibiotics (which do clear it up straight away) and low and behold she is starting to show some blood spotting again in some of her pee's. Vet thinks she may just be suseptable to cystitus but we can't keep feeding her tablets like treats. I did notice an odour from her too, could it be more vaginal than bladder? She has been spayed and had no problems there at all (she did have an infection prior to spaying too so I can't even say that was a trigger). So sorry to rant and for the long post but am just wondering if we are missing something. Generally she is a great puppy (if a little lethargic?). We are off to the Vet again in the morning with yet another pee sample as he is going to try and culture it! Anything else we can do? Sad

Last edited by jenpjersey on Sat Aug 06 2011, 15:02; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : still had Tilly as 5 months old :-()
jenpjersey
jenpjersey
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

UPDATE:   recurring bladder infection Empty Re: UPDATE: recurring bladder infection

Post by janey Sun Jul 24 2011, 13:37

I'm really sorry to hear that, poor Tilly and it must be so frustrating for you! Its not anything I have experinced, but I do hope that you will get a result from the vet soon, as it sounds like you have tried most avenues. I know it maybe expensive but maybe another vet could have a look at her Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

UPDATE:   recurring bladder infection Empty Re: UPDATE: recurring bladder infection

Post by jenpjersey Sun Jul 24 2011, 13:44

Hi Janey,

I just feel so bad for the my little girl, can't be fun :-( I did see a different vet the last time we went which is why we went for the exploratory stuff. Someone suggested she may have a skin fold which catches some urine and causes an infection? Sounds daft but am giving her cooled steralised water not to see if I can't flush it out :-)
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:00

jenpjersey wrote:Hi Janey,

I just feel so bad for the my little girl, can't be fun :-( I did see a different vet the last time we went which is why we went for the exploratory stuff. Someone suggested she may have a skin fold which catches some urine and causes an infection? Sounds daft but am giving her cooled steralised water not to see if I can't flush it out :-)

Unfortunately this may be a side effect of spaying too early. The vulva doesn't mature properly & either stays too small or develops 'flaps' which hold urine. I would clean that area twice a day with boiled, cooled water and see if that helps at all.

Of course, it could be that the vet is right & she is just more susceptible to infections than others. The trouble is, vets don't always tell you if something has been caused by early spaying. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by jenpjersey Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:05

Thanks Caryll will keep cleaning and that'll hopefully help. To be fair to the vet, she did have her first one way before we spayed her, then her second a couple of weeks after that and then just recently the 3rd. Fingers crossed it works out. He is giving general antibiotics at the mo but he said maybe she needs a more specific lot hence trying to culture something :-( Will keep you posted, thanks again.
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:11

It can't be nice for her, poor girl! I hope the new tests will come up with something that'll help in the long term. Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:20

Moved to health section hope that's ok

Back to top Go down

Post by jenpjersey Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:28

ok thanks Marty
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jenpjersey Mon Jul 25 2011, 16:45

Good news, whatever she seems to have had yesterday has cleared up! took a pee sample to vets today and he is going to see if he can grown anything. No need of antibiotics today so I treated her to a new chew toy! He's given me cosequin for her to take, not only will it be good for her little joints as they contain glucosamine but he says there's proof that it can also help to strengthen the lining of the bladder which may help her too. Hoping she has finally beaten this or that maybe at least we can treat it properly. Feel much happier today and she seems to be much perkier! Smile
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 25 2011, 16:56

Great stuff. Although not too sure about trying to grow things on her pee Laughing Really good news, long may it continue Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jenpjersey Mon Jul 25 2011, 17:02

Laughing Janey, I can just imagine him having to feed it and water it each day, maybe he'll talk to it lol! I should maybe have said bacteria Big Grin
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 25 2011, 17:10

rolling on the floor Cracked me up, sorry!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25 2011, 20:52

jenpjersey wrote: Laughing Janey, I can just imagine him having to feed it and water it each day, maybe he'll talk to it lol! I should maybe have said bacteria Big Grin

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by jenpjersey Sat Aug 06 2011, 15:00

Janey you will be delighted to know the Vet did grow something on Tilly's pee Laughing
Finally got a call from the Vet this lunch to say they did culture a bacteria so will give her 3 weeks antibiotics just to clear things up. She has been on the Glucosamine tablets since our last Vet visit and, although they are expensive, have worked wonders and she is not going potty half as much and seems much brighter (see photos, this is her just 10 mins ago Love Struck ). Fingers crossed with these and her antibiotics, she'll be fully fit Smile
UPDATE:   recurring bladder infection IMG_1350
UPDATE:   recurring bladder infection IMG_1348
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 15:45

Hopefully now the vet knows what there dealing with, you can get it sorted, and that it is not an ongoing thing.

Tilly looks beautiful in your pics....so healthy and Glossy

Back to top Go down

Post by jenpjersey Sat Aug 06 2011, 15:53

I know Lisa, really looking forward to having her as well on the inside as she looks on the out Love Struck She is a real poppit, such a lovely girl considering she doesn't feel 100%.
jenpjersey
jenpjersey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down