Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness

3 posters

Go down

Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness  Empty Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness

Post by lunathestaffy Wed Apr 22 2020, 14:37

Luna has always been a good girl when you ask her to sit or lie down,give her paw. However in the last week she refuses if you don’t have a treat in your hand?

She always sits when you ask her to. When you ask to lie down if she’s already sitting she’ll like nod her head towards the floor but not lie down. I have to repeat it two-3 times and sometimes point at the floor for her to do it.

Same with her paw, if you ask for it she will just stare you in the eyes, after repeating it a couple of times she’ll finally do it. My boyfriend joked that it’s because I cut her nails two weeks ago and now she thinks if she gives her paw I’ll cut them, but I doubt that as I never ask for her paw when cutting them?

Even when she’s in the other room and you call her she will like come to the door of that room so she can see you,then she decides weather to come over or not based on weather you have food or something.

It’s not that she forgot the tricks, as she can do them the first time shes asked if she knows u have food. So it must be more of her choosing that it’s not worth doing them unless she gets a treat.

How can I get her to learn to listen more when I don’t have treats for her to give? Or is this more of a teenage rebellion Laughing

lunathestaffy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness  Empty Re: Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Apr 22 2020, 15:03

How old is she again ?
Sounds like teenage rebellion and a perfect demonstration of a staffie’s intelligence.
She perfectly understands what you are asking but unlike working dogs who execute without even thinking, she’s also analyzing what’s in it for her Laughing

However infuriating it is, (try to) keep your even tone and insist politely until you obtain.
Maybe ask the exercise several times in a row but don’t give a treat each time.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness  Empty Re: Not wanting to respond to commands/ stubbornness

Post by lunathestaffy Wed Apr 22 2020, 17:28

She’s gonna be 10months on the 7th so in about two weeks.

That’s exactly what she is doing, my only question really is does that go away when she’s a bit older? Or should I try look up ways to get her to respect and obey me more?

In my opinion she thinks of me as the “leader”, I’m the one that feeds her and does all the grooming and what not and she listens to me a bit more than to my partner.

I know I can’t expect too much of a puppy, but have seen lots of dogs her age that are very obedient and basically do as their told, and it says a lot online about how staffies love pleasing their owners and all that so was wondering should I be doing more with her since she ignores you a lot of the time. She doesn’t look away or anything it’s just that she’s waiting there thinking weather it’s worth it or not.. overexcited good girl doesn’t do much for her tbh she wants foood 😂😂

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Apr 22 2020, 17:50

Are the other dogs you comparing her to of the same breed and age ?
My Opium is slowly starting to get over her big teenage tantrums and she’s 19 months old ...
Luna could also be bored of the exercises you are asking of her.
As for the food, she can have it if she executes to your expectations (speed and quality). Otherwise she’s won ...

Congratulations, she’s at an age where you have to outsmart her Wink Big Grin

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Apr 22 2020, 20:52

Try & work some games into it. Just running in for the off chance there might be a treat could be boring for her. Have a go at playing middle, call her to you, entice her round behind you to between your legs saying middle & treat. throw the next piece away from you & say get it then ask her to middle again. Katy loves this game & makes her much more attentive Smile I actually use her kibble for this, so reduce the amount in her bowl for dinner.

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down