How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ?

3 posters

Go down

How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ? Empty How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 17:47

I really don't think Monty is catching onto his :-\

Back to top Go down

How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ? Empty Re: How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ?

Post by janey Thu Dec 29 2011, 17:52

I'm sure is, its selective puppy hearing Smile

Moo was Missy when I got her at 10 months, gradually turned into Missy Moo and now just Moo, or whatever she gets addressed with depending whats she's been up too Laughing
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ? Empty Re: How long did it take for your pup to respond to its name ?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 17:54

Billy never had a name for the first few weeks, he was called NO
Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 19:03

As I was always told they respond to the way you say it not what you say, just try saying 5 different commands in the same tone, or 5 different names

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Dec 29 2011, 20:07

Tinkerbell doesn't respond to hers still and she has had it all her life. She only ever responds to it when it is followed by "what's this?" or "food" Laughing

You need to make sure when he has been naughty you don't say his name in a bad tone, instead say No or naughty etc. And like Dave says when you use his name say it in a different tone so he comes to you. He will soon learn it but at the moment the world is a busy place for him so he is propably not listening to you half the time! Laughing
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Thu Dec 29 2011, 20:54

At puppy classes we got told to say their name, and as soon as they respond, ram a treat into their mouths. Violet had a not bad response rate before that, but she certainly became more attentive when treats were involved!
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 21:18

linzy wrote:At puppy classes we got told to say their name, and as soon as they respond, ram a treat into their mouths. Violet had a not bad response rate before that, but she certainly became more attentive when treats were involved!

This is what we did as well and it didn't take very long to work

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 00:08

Definitely - name, look, treat. If you do that half a dozen times twice a day he'll soon get it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 21:51

janey wrote:

I'm sure is, its selective puppy hearing Smile

It deffinitley is, I worked that one out tonight Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down