Best way to respond?

3 posters

Go down

Best way to respond? Empty Best way to respond?

Post by Oswald Sun Jan 06 2013, 20:55

What is the best way to respond when Oswald gets over excited in the yard? For example he loves chasing a throw toy and brings it back to me to throw again but for some reason every now and then unpredictably, he watches the toy land and instead of running to collect it he runs me, jumping and biting and no amount of No! Stops him. Turning your back and ignoring him makes no difference (he actually bit my youngest in the bum a few days back) and I if I pick him up he is a snarling wiggling ball of teeth. We have just been coming inside (with him nipping at my legs or hanging off my pants) and leaving him outside for a few mins to cool off, then he is back inside happy as larry. I was going to say it does not happen inside but he does get a bit over excited if he is on the lounge and not sleeping but that is easier to deal with because he can't get on the lounge by himself so I just out him on the floor.

I really am at a loss how to respond in this situation and he is a perfect angel otherwise so would really appreciate some advice.

Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Best way to respond? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Best way to respond? Empty Re: Best way to respond?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 21:59

While it might not sound right ignoring him is the best option. He is just a pup and still learning bite inhibition and seeking attention. If you ignore him he will stop the behaviour in time since he will learn it gets the opposite response that he is looking for.

When he gets over excited stop all interaction for a few minutes and than start back up again. Make sure to supervise all interaction with him and your child if they are young and make sure everyone in the house is using the same training method.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:12

Yes he is still a puppy and will play rough. He's not being aggressive, but pups will play with their teeth, mouths and paws. The fact that he suddenly loses interest in his toy and turns to you instead is just that he thinks "right I've done that for as long as I want to, now what shall I do" and playing in his puppy way with you is his next choice.

Way to go is as above, ignore him for a bit when he gets too rough (maybe with a high-pitched yelp or a strong "No" beforehand if his teeth are too much) - he'll learn eventually but it may take some time.

If your children are old enough to understand and not be scared then get them to do the same; if you have toddlers or very young children then of course supervise very closely and don't leave pup and child alone together for one second.

It's hard work, but you'll get there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:23

Thank you jstaff and Lynda. The younger children are only 3 and 5 so I do make sure I am always within arms reach when the kids and Oswald are together, I also make sure there is time for just Oswald and I to play/do training/just hang out outside and for the kids to play outside with me with Oswald asleep in his create. (Thank goodness I am a stay at home mum!)
He will be able to go for walks end of next week, he is having his second jabs on Friday I am looking forward to putting the kids in their jogging stroller and heading out for walks Big Grin

Honest question, how do you ignore the pup if it's teeth are sunk in :/ and no does not stop him? He is great with mouthing, and listens to no or being put off the lounge and ignored and we are using the cue "gentle" for when he is being nice and soft with his teeth. This is different behaviour from him though he is really sinking teeth in and drawing blood.
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:34

Here is a link that should help explain things

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/stopyourstaffypuppybiting.html

Oswald is basically like a toddler and learning his own strength and what is acceptable. You can use a bottle full of rocks or some other loud noise to get his attention to stop. Banging on furniture or a wall to produce a loud noise will also have the same effect. He will adapt his bite strength and play behaviour over time so just be patient and consistant and keep doing what you are and things will be fine. The walks will also be a great help because it will let him release some energy and be more calm

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:35

Lightbulb moment! Thanks jstaff will do something loud that breaks his attention! Thank you makes perfect sense!
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Jan 07 2013, 14:01

Oswald wrote:if I pick him up he is a snarling wiggling ball of teeth.

rolling on the floor

Sorry - have you tried this if you can get it. We found it was great for getting Ralph's attention when he had sunk his teeth it my hand!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pet+corrector

Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:34

I had a look at this - basically it's just compressed air in a can.

Maybe Cesar wotsits hiss between the teeth would work as well, and be £10 cheaper?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:41

would a spray bottle with water in work or is that a bit over the top or a whistle
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down