Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"

5 posters

Go down

Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"  Empty Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"

Post by Jamesss Thu Jan 19 2012, 15:42

So I have been training my four month old pup on lots of commands and thought I would share a few.

"Bed" I started out by putting a treat in his bed and simply saying "Oreo - Bed". Obviously he went straight for the treat in his bed. I repeated this a couple of times. I then held the treats in my hand and said; "Oreo - Bed". ONLY when he stepped into his bed I gave him the treat. I repeat this daily with him.

"Outside" Same as above. I put a treat on my doorstep, outside. Said "Oreo - Outside". Off he walked and took the treat. Repeated this plenty of times. The held the treats, said; "Oreo - Outside". As soon as he stepped out the door i gave him the treat. Again I do this training daily.

"Go pee" This was more difficult. I would put him outside saying "Oreo - go pee". He would look confused at first and just sniff around the garden. As soon as I saw him peeing I would shout "Oreo - go pee" and immediately give him a treat. Anytime I saw him peeing outside I would say "Oreo - go pee" with a treat to follow. Now I can command him to go "Oreo - Outside" and then I say "Oreo - Go pee" and he will usually do this after a little sniff around to find his spot.

Awesome!

Extra tips - With any command I teach him I always start with his name "Oreo - xxx". This grabs his attention toward me. I try to keep it to one word only "Bed" "Outside" "Sit" "Speak" "Jump" not to confuse him. (I realise "go pee" is two words.. and having thought about it could have just said "pee" and it would have been as effective).

If he is not doing as a command eg. he jumps instead of sit. I just ignore it. He doesn't get a treat, nor do I say "no". I ONLY give him the treat when he demonstrates the behaviour I have commanded.

Hope this helps guys thumbs up
Jamesss
Jamesss
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Oreo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

https://www.facebook.com/james.liddement

Back to top Go down

Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"  Empty Re: Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 15:51

Well done sounds like u are doing well... Smile

I always found a very easy one 2 teach and also probably the most important one with staffs espeacially is " leave it "
The way i taught it was to have a bit of cheese in my hand let them nibble and what not but dont let them have it, the second they look away or stop nibbling give the command "leave it" then give the treat and lots of praise. It wont take long for them 2 realise not to touch the cheese at all lol. Then move on to putting treat on your knee for instance and give the command but make sure the treat is given quickly to start with ie as soon as dog doesnt grab when u put treat down. As he gets better make him wait longer

Back to top Go down

Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"  Empty Re: Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"

Post by Skullkandi Thu Jan 19 2012, 15:57

Lovely! Sounds like some good, solid training going on here Big Grin Good luck Big Grin
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Useful commands "bed" "outside" "go pee"  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 18:42

Well done Oreo
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 20:06

You & Oreo are doing well. keep it up and thanks for the tips.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 20:46

clever oreo well done

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jan 19 2012, 21:11

Wow you are doing really well keep up the good work. thumbs up

It's very interesting to read the different ways people train their dogs. You seem to have tuned in to Oreos learning method and worked with it very well.

For Rocky he is very food driven and would almost anything for a treat. Thankfully this has made his training quite easy. Smile

I guess dogs are a bit like us in that respect of having different learning methods. For me its very visual if I have written something down I am more likely to remember it.

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by benr1325 Thu Jan 19 2012, 22:00

We also use the treats to get solomon outside we give him half a treat for going outside and the other half when we say go wee and he does it. He also knows when we say to him go bed he always has a quick drink then he goes straight to bed. Smile
benr1325
benr1325
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 22:12

Sounds like Oreo is learning very well thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 22:15

Oreo is a star!

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Fri Jan 20 2012, 11:52

you and oreo seem to have cracked it haha.
going to try this with my 2 year old staff. see if it makes any difference Smile
with the treats, can you just use a handful of their normal dog food but just give them one little bit at a time?
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamesss Fri Jan 20 2012, 13:07

@ Caitlin&Roxie - Exactly that - I have just been grabbing a handfull of his dry food that he usually eats a meal times and giving him one piece for each command he follows correctly. This is what works for him but other dogs may not find this rewarding and may need more treats or petting.

I do this training with him daily... sometimes twice a day. The more frequent the training sessions is usually most effective, for them to retain the required response. But keeping in mind that the training sessions are usually short. Maybe 10 mins tops. You can usually tell when he has had enough as he will start to get commands incorrect, or just starts to do all commands at the same time.. which is pretty funny.. he will jump, speak, sit and run to his bed all at the same time lol!! I should prob put a vid up of him doing this,, its hilarious!!
Jamesss
Jamesss

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Oreo
Support total : 1

https://www.facebook.com/james.liddement

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20 2012, 16:20

wow good boy Oreo..what a little star

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Mon Jan 23 2012, 17:31

uu definately need to get a video clip of him when he does them all at once. would be good to see Smile bless him, he's definately getting there. i have bought roxie some training treats from pets at home and they seem to be keeping her going.

she now sits at a curb and waits without being told Smile
and seems to be not pulling as much on the leash with it saving my arm from becoming one bigger than the other haha
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down