Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing

5 posters

Go down

Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Empty Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing

Post by Laurabernalo Thu Dec 12 2019, 16:15

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and hoped someone might have some advice or insight if you've had a staffy with the same issues. So my staffy is called Sid and he is going to be 12 in January. The last few years he has aged quite a lot. I took him to the vet around 9 months ago because he was always falling over during walks and dragging his back legs quite a bit He also has been soiling a lot in the house He just gets up and squats and does his business! The vet said he has a degenerative spine disease. They gave me pregabalin for him but this medication seemed to make him more unsteady. They said it could be a long process of degeneration or it could be speedy. Accidents in the house happen quite often I'd say about three times a week generally. He doesn't go for walks because he falls over constantly then needs lifted back into the house because of the two steps. When he walks to the kitchen for food his back legs seem like rubber sometimes, he seems to stagger. He's a lot better not going for walks and just using the garden when he can. But all he does is lie under the table we have the TV on and sleep. He whines a lot under his breath. He still enjoys food and drinks plenty of water. But he just doesn't seem happy. I don't feel the same personality coming from him. He also has stopped listening. And he's not deaf. He just looks at you and refuses to do what he's told. People have been saying I should have him PTS but I'd feel terrible. We said when he can no long walk or doesn't enjoy his food is when we'll take him. The problem is we don't drive and when he needs to go to the vet it's hard to get him there without relying on the one person we do know with a car who's usually busy anyway. I also just left my job as I finished my apprenticeship and am looking for work so I don't have much money for anything if it did go wrong. Not really sure what I'm asking other than people's opinion of Sids situation

Laurabernalo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Empty Re: Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing

Post by gillybrent Thu Dec 12 2019, 20:20

Hi, and welcome.

I think most people here have been in that situation at some point.

The only advice I can give is to listen to your dog, and your head (not your heart).

The only person who can say whether your dog is ready 'to go' is you. And you can only go by your knowledge of your dog.

Many older dogs do go a little senile in later years, and that may be why he is toileting inside & not 'listening'.

From my own point of view, if he's content & comfortable then he's okay. Whining in sleep could just be dreaming, or even just old man breathing!

Just be aware of his needs & comfort him if he seems disorientated. Walks don't really matter at his age if he's happy with the garden.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Empty Re: Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing

Post by Jenc Thu Dec 12 2019, 21:49

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Dec 12 2019, 21:58

Hi from me & Katy, sorry to hear about how Sid is struggling, as Gilly said the time will be your decision Crying or Very sad If he's still happy & comfortable I would continue on, he will let you know when it's time! If money is tight try talking to PDSA or equivalent if you're not in this country. Vets will do home visits, especially if you want him to pass over surrounded by family.
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurabernalo Wed Dec 18 2019, 23:53

Hi everyone thanks for the messages. I am working at the moment but on a low wage as it's an apprenticeship so I'm not entitled to PDSA. There is an animal trust near by which has free consultations but it's getting him there that is the issue. He wanted to go for a walk tonight so I took him and at first he was fine but halfway through the walk which wasn't very far maybe ten minutes walking at his very slow pace his back legs went. I tried to carry him home but he's very heavy for me. So there was intervals of him dragging his legs and me trying to carry him and his back paws are all bloody from him dragging them. I don't think this is any life. He wants to walk but he's clearly not capable anymore

Laurabernalo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Dec 19 2019, 08:00

I think the decision has been made for you Crying or Very sad So sorry but he cant go on like that! Have you family or friends that could take you both to the animal trust or vets?
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurabernalo Thu Dec 19 2019, 09:31

I'll need to take him in a pet taxi which will be really expensive. My bf is adamant that as long as he doesn't go for anymore walks he'll be fine but I think fine until when? Is it really a good life just eating and sleeping. Now he's in so much pain he can't get up so he's resting.

Laurabernalo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurabernalo Thu Dec 19 2019, 11:09

I feel sick that I couldn't carry him and he had to suffer and drag himself along. He was making these awful low moaning noises as he was clearly in agony. I think he doesn't realise that he can't do things like he used to as he really wants to go out for walks and usually he pushed himself to walk because I think he knows that he's not got a lot of time or that he's trying to prove he's still ok even though he's not. He was scheduled to be out down earlier in the year and when I got off the phone making that appointment, he had hidden his face in his blanket and was shaking as if he understood. That night we took him for "his last walk" and he started running for the first time in a year. So we called and cancelled first thing in the morning. I've had him since I was 20 and always had full responsibility. I never had family to help out. He's been my family. I don't want to feel like I ended his little life by taking him to be put to sleep. It feels like a massive responsibility and heartache.

Laurabernalo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Dec 19 2019, 19:48

I feel your pain but you've got to think what's best for him! If he can't walk then he has no quality of life, not to mention how much pain he is in Sad I know they are family but they can't ask you to help them when they know its time to go. You wont be letting him down but helping him to be pain free & at peace.
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Dec 19 2019, 20:16

It's always a massive responsibility and heartache.

But that's how it is with our fur-responsibility friends.

They let us know when they've had enough, but we have to recognise the signs.

Give yourself time to say goodbye. Give yourself time to make the final decision. Then recognise that you are making the decision your dog wanted you to make.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sun Dec 22 2019, 05:56

It's the hardest decision a pet owner has to make and the very last loving deed you can give him by sending him over the rainbow in the sky to meet new friends.

I'm in my seventies and believe me I'm sat here typing this knowing the feeling you have now with tears in my eyes.
I've gone through this 3 times myself and even though it was heart-rendering I will do the same when the time comes for my lovely staffies  laying at the side of me now.

My advice is -make an appointment at your vets and explain before hand the reason why your taking him ... they will be very understanding and sympathetic and leave you with him to say your last goodbyes.

YES! -you will be upset but you will know you have done the right thing that all pet owner dread!
suzieJ
suzieJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Old staffy losing bowel control and legs are failing  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy & Franky
Dog(s) Ages : Lucy 4 yrs Franky 3 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female / Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Fri Jan 10 2020, 23:36

Its been a while since you updated, so i don't know how things are currently. You do seem like you have got your head around things and know what needs to be done but you partner has not got there yet...meanwhile its the dog who is stuck. I have been there, i have been the one to say no just one more day...but at the end of the day the dog must come first even if it causes upset to others.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurabernalo Sun Jan 19 2020, 02:59

Hi sorry for the lack of update the email notification was not in my focused emails. Sid is doing better, not great but better. We are not even attempting to take him for walks for fear of his legs going again. So he's seemed happy with just going to the garden again. His legs look very wobbly still but he's got a bit of a bunny hop style run in the garden when he has a little burst of energy. He's eating really well too. I guess it's one of those things as a dog ages that they go back and fourth. It's worrying because it's ongoing and getting more frequent but all we can do is monitor him and see how things go.

Laurabernalo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jan 19 2020, 11:24

He sounds happy enough, though? That's the important thing.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurabernalo Sun Jan 19 2020, 13:19

I would say he seems pretty happy but wants more of a fuss made of him than usual 😂

Laurabernalo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down