Out of control Staffy!

3 posters

Go down

Out of control Staffy! Empty Out of control Staffy!

Post by kryjic Mon Aug 20 2012, 09:34

Hi everyone, i'm new here Smile

I have 2 Staffies, a 6 year old female named Dixie and an almost 3 year old male named Dave.

Dixie was boisterous as a pup and young dog but has grown a lot calmer. Dave is and always has been a super excited, energetic, boisterous and an all around handful of a dog. He jumps all over anyone who entered the backyard and although he is being playful, he is strong so he hurts people. He also grabs whatever is around at the time and constantly runs circles around the backyard with whatever is in his mouth and refuses to sit still for even a second. I can barely even pat him because he will just not stop! The only time I can give him a pat and a hug is when he's completely worn himself out and it takes a lot to get him to that point. He also jumps all over Dixie if I'm patting her because he wants to be the center of attention.

I've tried taking him for long walks, running around with him, giving him numerous toys (all of which he destroyed) and spending as much time as I can with him but nothing seems to help. We even had him neutered and his behaviour didn't even give an inch. I'm at my wits end!

Has anyone been through this or can offer me any advice? Any help would be much appreciated!
kryjic
kryjic
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dixie & Dave
Dog(s) Ages : 6 and 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female and Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Out of control Staffy! Empty Re: Out of control Staffy!

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 09:37

Hi & Out of control Staffy! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Out of control Staffy! Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 09:39

Is he getting a minimum of two walks a day for 45 minutes each? The jumping up issue can be trained by turning around and ignoring him every time he does it?

What are you feeding him on and how much training or mental stimulation is he getting?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Aug 20 2012, 09:41

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, apart from basic training, keeping him onlead when people approach etc what is he fed on as this can make a huge difference?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by kryjic Mon Aug 20 2012, 09:48

I don't take him twice a day, most days he is walked or otherwise I run around with him in the backyard. He is fed a mixture of things, dry food, all natural can food as well as some left overs (mainly meat, pasta and rice).
kryjic
kryjic

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 10:02

Hi & welcome to the forum wave
Does he like water? Is ther any water near him that he can swim in. I know that drains my dogs energy better than anything else. Do you have a tread mill that you can train him to use. Some people will put their dog on one before a walk. It isn't a subsitute for a walk, nor is running around the garden. Dogs needs walks outside from their homes.
Wat sort of activites seem to drain him more?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 10:03

They are a very high energy breed and need the two walks per day. If they don't get it they have excess energy built up that causes them to find other ways to to burn the energy off which could explain some of the behaviour problems he is having.

Diet also plays a big role in the health and behaviour. Here is a link to some recommended dry foods.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 18:31

When do you feed him? i find exercising mine first and then feeding them is a better way as someo people feed them firts get them all full of beans then exercise them.

What about trying some kind of acitivity such as agility weight pullin etc that may release some pent up energy.

Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post by kryjic Tue Aug 21 2012, 00:04

He eats in the morning and at night, never before walks or playtime. We were living across the road from a lake and I used to take him swimming but we have moved and there isn't anything where I live now. Even going for a swim didn't drain his energy. He seems to have a never ending supply of it Rolling Eyes
kryjic
kryjic

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Aug 21 2012, 15:00

Is there a favourite toy or treats you can distract him with. It will take a while as he's obviously got into a habit of having a crazy 5 minutes every time someone arrives. He needs to realise he should calm down and then he will get fuss. Put him on a lead when somebody turns up, ignore him and ask them to do the same (he will probably try jumping up and pulling on the lead). Keep the lead short and your hand down by your hip and ignore him, talk with your guest. When he seems to settle a little ask him to sit. If he does you can give him a treat or let him have his toy for a moment. Don't make eye contact with him or really pay him any attention, this will just excite him. If he really is unbearable and you can't even stand to hold him you could tie him to something by a harness (don't use a collar because he might hurt himself) and stand by just out of reach. If/when he seems to calm down you could give him a pat or a verbal praise. Dont be too happy because this will switch his energy on again. Remember you are rewarding him for calm behaviour. You can keep doing this until it gets to the stage that the visitor can also bend down and (avoiding eye contact) give him a pat and a stroke. It will be a long-haul but worth it in the end. Just persevere and get him in a calm frame of mind. In regards to barging your other dog use body-blocking. When you know he if going to do it step over so that your legs are blocking him from hurling himself onto her. give a stern 'no' or 'leave' command and he will soon realise that all it gets him is a harsh word and no attention. When you have finished stroking Dixie you can turn and call him over. My younger bitch is really jealous and did the same thing to her mother, we used this technique and when she realised she wouldnt get any attention and would get pushed away she toned it down.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 17:25

Hi and welcome from Tyson & me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down