Why are most Staffy puppies blue?

+2
gillybrent
Brett1001
6 posters

Go down

Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Empty Why are most Staffy puppies blue?

Post by Brett1001 Tue Jan 08 2019, 12:48

I am wanting to buy a Staffy puppy for my kids but would prefer a fawn or black puppy. It seems that virtually all the quality Staffy puppies are blue. Is it a fashion thing?

Brett1001
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Empty Re: Why are most Staffy puppies blue?

Post by gillybrent Tue Jan 08 2019, 14:33

Oh my.

The mllion dollar (controversial) question.

Firstly, let me say that I have nothing against blues. BUT.

Breeders have jumped on the bandwagon of breeding a 'rare' colour & have charged high prices accordingly. Yes, it's fashion, but it's also, mainly, a money-making venture. Also, over half of all puppies registered with the KC last year were blue, so hardly a rare colour now.

There are a few health problems with blues, especially if they're the result of a blue to blue mating.

There ARE other colours available - have a look on champ dogs. Always be aware of the health tests that must have been carried out on the parents before breeding. They are VERY important.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2019, 18:07

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Why are most Staffy puppies blue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Jan 08 2019, 18:14

Hello and welcome from us !

There are alot of blues here too but perhaps less than where you are.
I believe alot are due to the fashion as you say. But then they won’t necessarily be well/better bred.
Good on you for choosing a staffy and hope you find yours soon Smile
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2019, 18:29

A controversial question indeed! Gilly's summed it up nicely, it is one of those trend things that I'm afraid I hope will soon pass - I love all staffies but the craze for blues has led to some unscrupulous breeding and health problems in some of the pups, and to some people buying staffies for look rather than because they wanted the craziness that is a staffy pup Laughing .

I personally feel that the health and temperament of a dog (pup or adult) should be the reasons choosing, and colour should be almost irrelevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire dan Thu Nov 07 2019, 17:06

The kennel club needs to outlaw blue to blue matings which probably wouldn't completely stop it but would make it less appealing to unwitting buyers being fed lots of exaggerated claims about the dogs lineage and how many champions are in there papers when ironically none of them are blue,it is getting to a point where the whole gene pool of Stafford's is narrowing due to greed,as you can tell it grinds my gears!
Yorkshire dan
Yorkshire dan

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Nov 08 2019, 09:03

Agree with the above. Have you tried rescues as they do have all colours of Staffy in. Good luck with your search x
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Nov 08 2019, 11:04

Yorkshire dan wrote:The kennel club needs to outlaw blue to blue matings which probably wouldn't completely stop it but would make it less appealing to unwitting buyers being fed lots of exaggerated claims about the dogs lineage and how many champions are in there papers when ironically none of them are blue,it is getting to a point where the whole gene pool of Stafford's is narrowing due to greed,as you can tell it grinds my gears!

They can't! Blue is an acceptable colour, and although some blue x blue matings go badly for the pups, not all do. People need to be educated - owning a dog isn't just about the colour!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sal123 Sun Feb 28 2021, 07:27

I know this is an old thread but I’m a little confused, we are searching for a well bred health checked puppy & have found that an awful lot of breeders are breeding blue to blue, which by internet searching reveals a likely hood of skin & allergy problems, can anyone tell me if this is always the case? Thanks, Sally

Sal123

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Feb 28 2021, 10:51

No, it isn't always the case that blue X blue matings give unhealthy pups. But it does drastically increase the likelihood of skin problems and allergies.

A GOOD breeder will not breed blue to blue, it's as simple as that - good breeders will breed blue to black/black brindle & may possibly get a blue in the litter, but they're not looking entirely for colour, they're looking for healthy pups.

Have you had any replies to your enquiries yet?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down