My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest...

2 posters

Go down

My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest... Empty My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest...

Post by Frankiegoestohollywood Fri Sep 07 2018, 13:34

Hi guys

I am slightly concerned about the baldness on Frankie's chest, his temples and belly. He is a blue staffie and I know that there can be issues with this. Although I can see that his adult coat is coming in thick and blue on his neck and back and legs, I'm hoping he will grow out of it.

He's had all his check ups and jabs and the vets have given him the all clear.

Although both of his parents are blue, his bloodline is very good being mostly black and black and brindle mostly Valglo. I've seen both his mother and father and grandfather. Grandfather is Valglo Blue Bouncer. All in great health and good examples.

Here are a few photos:

My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest... Image110
My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest... Image210

Frankiegoestohollywood
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest... Empty Re: My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest...

Post by gillybrent Fri Sep 07 2018, 18:54

Hi & welcome. Your pup's gorgeous!

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how many blacks/brindles are in his ancestry - breeding blue to blue can cause Colour Dilution Alopecia. Valglo lines are known to have this problem.

That's not to say he's suffering from CDA, it could be something else entirely! However, it does look similar. Sad

If it IS there's very little you can do about it, other than keeping his skin as healthy as possible. Salmon oil can help, and massaging the affected areas with coconut may be beneficial.

I take it the vet has ruled out Demodectic mites?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest... Empty Re: My 13 week old puppy Frankie - bit bald on chest...

Post by Frankiegoestohollywood Fri Sep 07 2018, 20:47

Hi
Thanks for replying!

Frankie has been itching a lot near his ears and collar area and I’ve noticed him chewing his thighs.

My wife said the vet gave him some drops for mites but I’m not sure of the details. Is it worth booking a checkup with the vet?

Frankiegoestohollywood

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 08 2018, 09:08

I would imagine that the drops would be for fleas - mites take stronger treatment!

IF it's mites, then it's likely he'll deal with them himself as his immune system strengthens. 99% of pups are born with them, and they only become a problem if they multiply too fast for the immature immune system to cope. Personally, I would leave it be (whilst using coconut oil as a rub & salmon oil on his food three times a week) unless you notice the area getting sore or the skin starts to thicken - then I'd go to the vet.

If it's CDA the only thing you can do is treat the symptoms (ie keep the skin healthy) because there's no actual cure. Some dogs go on to have serious hair loss, but most tend to just have bald spots.

Fingers crossed! Big Grin

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankiegoestohollywood Mon Sep 10 2018, 09:42

Thank you for your advice. I will keep an eye on it!

Frankiegoestohollywood

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down