Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.

5 posters

Go down

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Empty Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.

Post by Jacko Fri May 04 2018, 14:36

He is a 4 month old Blue staffy. I also have a quick question for anyone willing to answer.Just wondered people’s thoughts on over walking? I have read to only go on 20/30 min walks for the first 9/12 months of his life so I take him on two of these short walks a day. The thing is he has so much more in him he could just go and go. When we get home he literally doesn’t stop bounding around the house so I thought he may as well be put on his lead rather than causing havoc in doors. But obviously won’t do it without some solid info on the subject. Thanks a lot and I hope you all like Stitch.Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  99a65210
Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  8f4d2710

Jacko
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Empty Re: Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.

Post by Nifty staffy Fri May 04 2018, 18:17

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  Empty Re: Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.

Post by Nifty staffy Fri May 04 2018, 18:36

Hello and welcome from us.
Stitch is a very handsome lad Love Struck

There is the 5 minute rule for every month of age so yes, you are technically at around 20 minutes.
My personal feeling is that it’s not good to over exercise, especially these staffies who are heavier set than alot of other breeds. At 4 months he’s growing lots and changing so much, not to mention growth plates and the such. Taking care of his joints and health now is an investment for a sound future.

I can understand how tempting it must be to do a little more during full out zoomies in the house but maybe try to look at ways of tiring him mentally instead of physically ?
Does he play with toys ? Fetch (but never tug on baby teeth) or search for a particular toy. Are you already working with basic obedience commands ? Showing him lots of new things which he will have to slow down physically for but will mentally tire him.
Just a few ideas Smile

Hi Ladies and Gents I’m new to the page and would like you all to meet Stitch.  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri May 04 2018, 19:14

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

Stitch looks fab, I bet he's full of mischief and love!!

There certainly is a 5 min per month rule and for good reason. When they are very small and growing at a fast rate you don't want to over exercise and risk damaging the joints. At a year you'll be looking to an hours walk and by then most of the heavy/fast growing will be done.

It's a rule of thumb thing really and not an exact science, just be mindful not to over exercise those delicate young joints.

Above all though, take loads of pictures & enjoy every moment of puppyhood, they grow up into such goofy things very quickly.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacko Sat May 05 2018, 06:39

Thanks so much for the reply’s guys. So is this 20 minute walk just once a day or can I take him on a few 20 min walks? I’m a first time Staffy owner so I just want to get things right. I think I have been over walking him by the sounds of things so hope he will be okay. Usually he has two 20-30 min walks. One first thing in the morning and one at night but sometimes a lunch time one added in on a weekend. I really hope if this is bad I haven’t done him any harm

Jacko

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat May 05 2018, 07:41

The five minute rule (or 1 minute per week if age) is for 'forced' walking, such as on lead pavements/hard paths, per walk. So you're fine to do 3 walks a day of 20 minutes each.

However, you can add to that free play on sifter surfaces such as grass & sand as long as your pup is allowed to rest whenever they heed to.

Oh, and make sure he has enough energy left for the walk home!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05 2018, 07:56

Hi and welcome!

I'm with Gilly, limited on lead walking but don't stress so much about free exercise such as playing in the park and snuffling on walks.

Also, don't stress too much if you do find you've gone slightly further than you planned once or twice. The odd longer walk (not hours!) shouldn't be a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat May 05 2018, 08:33

Just one thought, hyperactivity can sometimes be feed related.
May I ask what you are feeding ?

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacko Sat May 05 2018, 20:09

Oh that is good to no on the walking thank you very much

Jacko

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacko Sat May 05 2018, 20:13

He is raw fed mainly. Chicken or beef mince with full fat milk, cottage cheese, sometimes a raw egg and veg. He has this morning and night and dry biscuits at lunch. He’s a real handful at the min and is biting a lot could his diet really be anything to cause this?

Jacko

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat May 05 2018, 20:48

The biting could be teething, it’s about the right age.

I’m no expert on raw feeding but I can’t see the benefit of giving milk (is this full fat cow milk ?). Added with the cottage cheese, looks like alot (maybe too much) of dairy.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 06 2018, 07:38

A real handful and biting... that sounds pretty much like a staffie puppie Laughing

I'd ease off on the dairy too. Lactose is not broken down well by dogs and can (not will but can) cause problems. Is it for calcium you're feeding dairy? In which case you be better making sure that your meat has a good bone content or you give bones. The raw supplier I use (Landywoods) has good bone content in their chicken and turkey minces.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun May 06 2018, 10:40

Jacko wrote:He is raw fed mainly. Chicken or beef mince with full fat milk, cottage cheese, sometimes a raw egg and veg. He has this morning and night and dry biscuits at lunch. He’s a real handful at the min and is biting a lot could his diet really be anything to cause this?

Why does he have milk and biscuits (I assume you mean a complete dry kibble?)?

If you want to feed raw properly, have a look at the raw feeding pages on Facebook. They will tell you what to feed as your pup grows.

Last edited by gillybrent on Sun May 06 2018, 23:04; edited 1 time in total

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun May 06 2018, 20:34

Hi from me & Katy, Stitch looks adorable Love Struck great advice already given as regards exercise but I will say, I can run Katy on a 2 1/2hr walk & she will still come home & play with her boomer ball for 20mins Surprised

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down