Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised.

4 posters

Go down

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Empty Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised.

Post by Shell D Thu Jan 18 2018, 07:23

Hi,
I just joined this forum as I need advice regarding my fur baby. I have a English staffy named Rocko who is nearly 3. I had a american staffy but he was killed last year by a low life person. When we weren’t home one night someone had pulled him out of our yard and stabbed him multiple times leaving him in the ditch to die, we found him the next morning. Rocko was in the yard and watched it all without being able to help his best mate. For about a week he wouldn’t eat and would howl all the time, he became depressed. A few months later we got a staffy pup to keep him company, he became himself again (happy & playful). Since this incident he has become very aggressive towards other dogs (not our other dog though), when he is in the yard or when we take him for walks. He isn’t aggressive towards people only dogs. Before this happened he was such a social dog with other dogs, our friends would bring their dogs over and they would all play for hours. Now they can’t even come in the yard as he goes ballistic at them. We aren’t sure whether the night our other dog died if the person had a dog with them or not.
Just wanting some advice how to help him be social again.

Thanks
Shell

Shell D
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Empty Re: Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18 2018, 07:54

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Last edited by LizP on Thu Jan 18 2018, 08:04; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. Empty Re: Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18 2018, 08:03

Hi and welcome from me and mine Smile

What a terrible story. I can't imagine what that must have felt like, for you or for Rocko. I don't suppose they ever found the low life who did it, did they?

There are various techniques for settling dog reactivity and they are certainly worth trying. One of my favourite trainers, Patricia McConnell, has a short booklet that explains the method I'd suggest first for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Feisty-Fido-Help-Leash-Reactive-Dog-ebook/dp/B001DA99CG

My gut reaction is that it's fear aggression, just trying to keep others away from him, so one big thing I'd say is to give him plenty of space, don't let other dogs get too close and ask other owers to call their dogs if needed. Avoid busy areas if you can, at least until he's settled.

If that doesn't work, then it might be worth trying to find a good behavioural trainer. I'm guessing you're not in the UK but if you are interested in that route and want a hand internet searching, I'm happy to have a look with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Thu Jan 18 2018, 08:46

I'm so sorry to hear of the terrible event you have all been through. That's just so evil, I wish the same would happen to the scumbag.

Liz has given great advice, I hope you and Rocko can work through this. Please let us know how you get on.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell D Thu Jan 18 2018, 10:12

Thanks Liz & Misty’s Mum!! No LiZ they never found the low life. Breaks my heart just thinking what they both went through.
I will definitely look into that book.
I think you may be right about the aggression coming from fear. I just don’t understand why it’s towards other dog and not strangers, as it was definitely a person he stabbed our other staffy.
I live in QLD Australia, I will also look into behavioural training, the last thing I want is for him to attack someone else’s fur baby.
Thank you so much for your offer to help!!!

Shell D

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18 2018, 12:12

Depending on where in QLD you are, these look good

http://thepositivepetproject.com.au/ (I'm particularly drawn to this one)

https://www.positiveresponse.com.au/

http://cleardogtraining.com/

There are others but these are at least somewhere to start. If you do look at others, avoid those that are in any way dominance (sometimes dressed up as leadership) based. Clues are if they talk about not allowing dogs on the furniture, references to 'alpha' or 'boss', or anything that indicates correction as being a main method. You want a positive method trainer.

Good trainers aren't cheap but they are cheaper than vets bills or being sued if your dog does bite another, and they can provide huge peace of mind. If finances allow, I'd really recommend it.

Why does Rocko react to dogs and not humans? It's hard to say for sure but one guess is that some dogs, staffies included, generally love humans but can be naturally more wary of dogs. That means that they are more likely to express their worries towards dogs than humans. Also, a dog that they can't quite reach is actually a safer option. You can do all the 'keep away' bluster without actually risking anything. Looking at underlying cause is something a good trainer will start with.

Let us know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jan 18 2018, 19:28

Hello and welcome from us.

What a most terrible ordeal you all must have gone through when your AmStaff was taken from you so brutally.

Very sound advice has been given, hope you’ll stick around and let us know hiw you get on Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Aggressive behaviour towards dogs after being traumatised. B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Sat Jan 27 2018, 00:08

So sorry to hear about your other dog, thats just unthinkable.

He is now maybe over protective of the new pup which is making him reactive? Have you tried him without the new dog in the mix?

Id agree with the advice above.
lexii
lexii
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down