WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??

+3
janey
Steve
suzyt123
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??  Empty WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??

Post by suzyt123 Fri Oct 08 2010, 15:55

Does anyone know the real answer as to why dogs eat grass ?? I know the obvious is to be sick but my Khan is not doing it to be sick its more of an addiction !!! As soon as we leave the house for our walks the 1st thing he does is grab some grass and sometimes its too late to get it out of his mouth as he scoffs it so quick , i tell him off and try to get it out his mouth as much as i can , then later in to the walk he does it again when he is off the lead running in fron he may grab big long pieces too its crazy !!! I feed him decent dry food twice day so surely he aint hungry is he ? does anyone elses staffy do this ??
suzyt123
suzyt123
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Khan
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??  Empty Re: WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08 2010, 16:26

Cairo is obsessed with eating grass on every walk too.Maby its just a staffy thing lol.

Back to top Go down

WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??  Empty Re: WHY IS MY STAFFY EATING GRASS ON EVERY WALK ??

Post by Steve Fri Oct 08 2010, 16:31

someone told me they eat grass to clean out their stomach, my dog eat it everytime we go out in the summer

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 08 2010, 18:32

Also heard its good for them, it makes there coat shiney. Not sure if thats an old wives tale or not? Moo has eaten it and a number of occasions I'v had to pull it from her bum (now thats love) cause she has eaten so much and couldn't get rid! Its nothing to worry about though so I wouldn't bother getting it out her mouth!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyt123 Fri Oct 08 2010, 19:51

Ha Ha Janey emmmm yeh i have to pull it from Khans bum sometimes as he dances around trying to get it out classy lol !! oh well thanks for the replys at least he aint the only one .
suzyt123
suzyt123

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Khan
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Oct 08 2010, 19:55

:-& i have too :-& nasty dogs

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08 2010, 19:58

That's one thing Blue hasn't done.....reading what you have had to do im glad he doesn't......that could kill our relationship

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 08 2010, 21:21

So pleased I'm not on my own!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08 2010, 21:25

they say when a dog is sick he eats grass this is supposed to be their medicine, some dogs eat grass when they have fur balls from licking their selves, it helps them to vomit and expel the offending fur, i know cats do this aswell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08 2010, 21:58

Yeah my cats do that all the time. I think it happens more with them as cats never stop cleaning themselves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08 2010, 22:48

If it's just the odd mouthful, then no harm done. However, be careful - dogs cannot digest grass & if they eat too much it stays compacted in their stomach & leads to bloat. I know. Been there, done that. Resulted in a major operation for Dempsey a couple of months ago.

There's no need to stop your dog grabbing the odd mouthful of grass. It'll do him no harm & yes, sometimes they do it to make themselves be sick if there's something in their stomach that's making them feel queezy, but too much (ie a feverish grabbing at nearly anything green) is very bad. Grass in itself does not do anything at all for a dog - doesn't make their coat shiny and doesn't act as a substitute for veg in their diet (which they don't need anyway).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08 2010, 23:03

Janey wrote:Also heard its good for them, it makes there coat shiney. Not sure if thats an old wives tale or not? Moo has eaten it and a number of occasions I'v had to pull it from her bum (now thats love) cause she has eaten so much and couldn't get rid! Its nothing to worry about though so I wouldn't bother getting it out her mouth!

Haha ive had to do that too I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09 2010, 01:57

yep i think it just a staffy thing and yes iv had to chase a 10 week old pup round the house with a turd hanging from a peice of grass dont you just love em

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09 2010, 10:09

Believe me, it isn't a staffy thing! I've had to chase a border collie & a belgian shepherd around to pull bits out of their backsides! :-&

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Oct 09 2010, 10:25

Caryll wrote:Believe me, it isn't a staffy thing! I've had to chase a border collie & a belgian shepherd around to pull bits out of their backsides! :-&

Laughing what dogs make us do Laughing

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09 2010, 10:38

I've also walked around with wet wipes when my dogs have had the runs - just so they don't bring a mucky bum back into the house! I think we've all probably had our fingers down various dogs' throats as well fishing for things they shouldn't have tried to swallow! I once had to pull a rotting salmon out of Bandits throat - the WHOLE BLOODY FISH! I couldn't get the smell off my hands for days! :-&

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Oct 09 2010, 10:43

ooo no i bet that was smelly Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09 2010, 10:53

Just a little bit! The reason I had to pull it out of his throat was as soon as I told him to leave it he tried to swallow it whole so I couldn't get it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Oct 09 2010, 10:59

yea my xena does the samething with her bones Straight Face

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KEVSTOCKS Wed Oct 20 2010, 14:13

glad i joined this site.....effie keeps munching on the stuff the kids were horrified the other day when they saw grass coming out her rear end .....and more horrified when i had to pull it fully out lol
KEVSTOCKS
KEVSTOCKS

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : EFFIE
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 20 2010, 14:32

You'll find I'm a little paranoid about grass eating. My bully started manically eating grass a little while ago & ended up with bloat & an emergency stomach operation to clear it all out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 02:20

I heard it was the milk in grass that lines their stomach if they have to much acid does she have wind? she could pick anything up off the grass outside grow your own atleast you know whats init.
Dogs are remarkably flexible in their tastes. If meat isn’t on the table, they’d root around for tender leafy stalks, or roots Or she may be craving or needing the vitamins in the grass.
grass is also very sweet smelling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 10:13

MissRogue wrote:I heard it was the milk in grass that lines their stomach if they have to much acid does she have wind? she could pick anything up off the grass outside grow your own atleast you know whats init.
Dogs are remarkably flexible in their tastes. If meat isn’t on the table, they’d root around for tender leafy stalks, or roots Or she may be craving or needing the vitamins in the grass.

?? There's no milk in grass, and dogs can't digest grass so they get no goodness out of it at all. Although nobody really knows why they eat grass, most dogs seem to eat it to make themselves sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 12:52

MissRogue wrote:I heard it was the milk in grass that lines their stomach if they have to much acid does she have wind? she could pick anything up off the grass outside grow your own atleast you know whats init.

ye as caryll says there no milk in grass, and dogs do not need vegitation in there diet, and also if there no meat on the table they will go to vegitation is totally untrue, yes they will eat veg but get no benifit from it. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon Fri Nov 12 2010, 19:30

Buster eats grass all the time. Sometimes I think he is a cow. Seriously though, don't let your dog eat grass after it has been raining because there might be slugs or snails on the grass which could cause Lungworm if ingested.

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 00:20

whmon wrote:Buster eats grass all the time. Sometimes I think he is a cow. Seriously though, don't let your dog eat grass after it has been raining because there might be slugs or snails on the grass which could cause Lungworm if ingested.

not a prob if you use advocate Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:03

ye as caryll says there no milk in grass, and dogs do not need vegitation in there diet, and also if there no meat on the table they will go to vegitation is totally untrue, yes they will eat veg but get no benifit from it. Big Grin [/quote]

Actually thats not true dogs can live perfectly healthy balance lifestyle being vegatarian but cats can not, its not an actually milk just this white fluid which settles their stomachs and if needed gets rid of badness in the stomach which is why they are often sick and in the wild wolves would eat a very varied diet even dig for roots when there is no meat around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:10

MissRogue wrote:ye as caryll says there no milk in grass, and dogs do not need vegitation in there diet, and also if there no meat on the table they will go to vegitation is totally untrue, yes they will eat veg but get no benifit from it. Big Grin

Actually thats not true dogs can live perfectly healthy balance lifestyle being vegatarian but cats can not, its not an actually milk just this white fluid which settles their stomachs and if needed gets rid of badness in the stomach which is why they are often sick and in the wild wolves would eat a very varied diet even dig for roots when there is no meat around.[/quote]

sorry a dog cant live vegatarian without supliments as dogs cant extract the vitimins
and its wheat grass not common grass that will settle a dogs stomach

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:11

Caryll wrote:

?? There's no milk in grass, and dogs can't digest grass so they get no goodness out of it at all. Although nobody really knows why they eat grass, most dogs seem to eat it to make themselves sick.

I did not say dogs can digest grass. the white fluid in the grass i know its not actually milk but it looks like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:12

bigwazza wrote:
MissRogue wrote:ye as caryll says there no milk in grass, and dogs do not need vegitation in there diet, and also if there no meat on the table they will go to vegitation is totally untrue, yes they will eat veg but get no benifit from it. Big Grin

Actually thats not true dogs can live perfectly healthy balance lifestyle being vegatarian but cats can not, its not an actually milk just this white fluid which settles their stomachs and if needed gets rid of badness in the stomach which is why they are often sick and in the wild wolves would eat a very varied diet even dig for roots when there is no meat around.

sorry a dog cant live vegatarian without supliments as dogs cant extract the vitimins
and its wheat grass not common grass that will settle a dogs stomach[/quote]

I did not say it can live without suppliments i just said it can live without meat meaning it could be vegatarian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:15

there no white fluid in grass its only in wheat grass lol
and why would you keep a dog on a diet that is doing no good for them Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:16

well i will have to disagree with you there,dogs can not live a perfectly normal life without consuming meat, dogs are carnivores, but these days some dogs are considered omnivores,and have to consume meat and veg. otherwise they would be called herbivores. as for wolves they will eat vegetation when they can not get meat in their diet, but if they didn't consume any meat they would die, as for the grass dogs cant digest grass so i cant see how any liquid can be can be extracted from grass. cows can digest grass and thats why they have 3 stomachs,

Last edited by shane on Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:08; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:21

shane wrote:well i will have to disagree with you there,dogs can not live a perfectly normal life without consuming meat, dogs are carnivores and have to consume meat. otherwise they would be called herbivores. as for wolves they will eat vegetation when they can not get meat in their diet, but if they didn't consume any meat they would die, as for the grass dogs cant digest grass so i cant see how any liquid can be can be extracted from grass. cows can digest grass and thats why they have 3 stomachs,

very true
a dog can survive on veg but they will have no energy lose fur poor teeth dull coat
and as shane says there no way they could live a perfectly normal life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:27

shane wrote:well i will have to disagree with you there,dogs can not live a perfectly normal life without consuming meat, dogs are carnivores and have to consume meat. otherwise they would be called herbivores. as for wolves they will eat vegetation when they can not get meat in their diet, but if they didn't consume any meat they would die, as for the grass dogs cant digest grass so i cant see how any liquid can be can be extracted from grass. cows can digest grass and thats why they have 3 stomachs,

That is where suppliments come in
I know wolves can not live off vegitation because thwey don't people to give the suppliments but dogs do which is why they can.
, when you pick a piece of grass and touch the break you'll get the white stuff on your fingers, they don't need to digest grass to get that it simply touches their tongue and runs down along with saliva.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:31

Dogs can be vegatarians just like humans with the right care and suppliments dogs can be vegatarians i know loads of people with loads of dogs well into their late teen or as pups and they are perfectly healthy being vegatarians.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:35

if thats true, which i know is not, the supplements must have some sort of meat and protein in it for a dog to survive,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:41

shane wrote:if thats true, which i know is not, the supplements must have some sort of meat and protein in it for a dog to survive,

you can buy all the protein and other ingrediants in meat from your local chemist. all the goodness in meats you can find loads of different foods which don't contain meat.
http://www.veggiepets.com/
it is possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:41

MissRogue wrote:Dogs can be vegatarians just like humans with the right care and suppliments dogs can be vegatarians i know loads of people with loads of dogs well into their late teen or as pups and they are perfectly healthy being vegatarians.

rolling on the floor i think their pulling youre leg. and for one humans can be vegetarians because when we started out on this earth we used to only eat vegtables, and then we found how to make tools to catch and kill our dinner, dogs have a different metabolism than humans, and have always eating meat, its the way their body has evolved

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:46

you can buy all the protein and other ingrediants in meat from your local chemist. all the goodness in meats you can find loads of different foods which don't contain meat.
http://www.veggiepets.com/
it is possible.

wake up and smell the cornflakes, cant you not see that these websites are just another marketing ploy to get you to part with you re well earned cash, and don't have the dogs welfare at heart,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:47

You could possibly try doing some research by experts if your so convince i am full of s***
Its not just that website ask your vet.

Last edited by MissRogue on Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:50; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:49

you feed you're dog on this so called supplents, for a year, guarantee your dog will look the shadow of himself the following year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:51

MissRogue wrote:You could possibly try doing some research by experts if your so convince i am full of s***

i dont need to do any research, this is common sense, and another way to get youre money, Laughing by convincing people like you that youre dog will do fine not eating meat

Last edited by shane on Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:52; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:52

shane wrote:you feed you're dog on this so called supplents, for a year, guarantee your dog will look the shadow of himself the following year.
I wouldn't try it on my dogs I'd rather they eat naturally what comes to them, but it is a possibility for a dog to be a vegatarian doesn't mean i agree with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:55

shane wrote:
MissRogue wrote:You could possibly try doing some research by experts if your so convince i am full of s***

i dont need to do any research, this is common sense, and another way to get youre money, Laughing

Your not even willing to research the truth or atleast call your vet in the morning to prove me wrong.
You can also make your own meals so your not giving them your money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:57

its a possibility ok for a dog to be a vegetarian. but he wont live too long after becoming one

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:01

shane wrote:its a possibility ok for a dog to be a vegetarian. but he wont live too long after becoming one

You can not say that unless you know someone who's dogs a vegatarian my aunts Yorky and Rotty are in their late teens and they'v been brought up on the stuff.

Actually i agree with your last part changing from meat over to veggie isn't a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:20

ok we will have to agree to disagree otherwise we'll be here until doomsday.
i would never give my dog them supplements. AKA mock food as this stuff will do your dog more harm than good, and any vet worth their scruples will tell you this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:27

shane wrote:ok we will have to agree to disagree otherwise we'll be here until doomsday.
i would never give my dog them supplements. AKA mock food as this stuff will do your dog more harm than good, and any vet worth their scruples will tell you this.

I don't agree with doing this to dogs im just sayings its possible but yes agree to disagree. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:30

I don't agree with doing this to dogs im just sayings its possible but yes agree to disagree. Smile

anything is possible, i could eat grass for a week, but it wouldn't do me any good Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:31

good night to ya we will talk again

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next