What size crate?

4 posters

Go down

What size crate? Empty What size crate?

Post by H38 Wed Nov 22 2017, 05:58

Hi everyone!
New to the group and getting our first Staffy puppy ‘Stanley’ arriving on 10th December. We’re both super excited and terrified at the same time

H38
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

What size crate? Empty Re: What size crate?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 22 2017, 08:04

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
What size crate? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 22 2017, 08:08

Hi and welcome from me and mine!

I've moved your question to the puppy chat area as more people will see your question here. I don't use crates so am not the right person to answer you, but would just say that if you are going to use a crate please take the time to train Stanley to use it happily. Using a crate without training can be very unpleasant for a puppy.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Nov 22 2017, 08:40

hello & welcome!

I agree with Liz, take time to introduce your pup to the crate so he treats it like his own den or 'safe place'. I think there's help for crate training on the forum somewhere but if you can't find it just ask.

as to size, will you still be using a crate when your dog's an adult? If so, you need one that will allow a grown stafford to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably. A pup can benefit from a divided crate - one half for bedding & the other half for toileting until he's able to control his bladder/bowels.

Please make sure that he isn't left in there for hours at a time as that will lead to boredom, frustration & destructive behaviour.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Thu Nov 23 2017, 12:50

We got a medium sized crate when we got Hank and as Gilly says you have half for the bed and half for toilet when they are tiny. He is now 10 Months old and quite big for his age so not far of adult size and we don't feel like we need to get a bigger one, Now I have a crate mattress that fills the whole bottom of the crate for him to sleep and go there with his toys and stinky treats as they aren't allowed on the sofa Laughing
Paris1990
Paris1990
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hank
Dog(s) Ages : 2 Year
Support total : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Nov 23 2017, 18:39

My first questions would be what you need the crate for and how you intend to use it ?
In any crate, your dog needs to be able to turn around and lie flat out.

My Nifty has a crate for car travel and another at home as her safe-place sleeping corner. However her sleeping crate is never closed but within her play pen.

At 8 weeks old, I went to fetch her in a cat crate I already had, ferplast atlas cat carrier which measures 60x40x38 cms.
She also used it as her sleeping quarters but quickly outgrew that one so I bought her an adult sized crate, ferplast atlas 60 pet carrier which measures 91x61x66.5 cms for the house.
It’s big and as I didn’t want to be transferring it between home and car, I bought a crate for travelling, trixie gulliver 4 which measures 72x52x51cms.

Nifty is 7 months old and weighs 15kgs. She has room in the travel crate and I think it should be ok when she’s adult sized too. The house crate is couple of sizes up so she has room to sleep in the position she likes but it is not discrete in my lounge !

Value for money, the trixie is really great and if your dog can chew the crate as Nifty does, it’s less heartbreaking to see the teeth marks in the trixie than the ferplast ...
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Nov 23 2017, 19:11

Whoops, forgot to add welcome from us and good luck on your new staffy adventure Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

What size crate? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by H38 Fri Nov 24 2017, 05:58

Thanks for all your replies, they are all very helpful and appreciated! Stanley won’t be left on his own very often, but I want to persevere with crate training this time so that when we go on holiday or when he’s at work in the office, he has his own little safe place to escape to.
We have had 3 dogs in the past and never bothered with crating and never had any trouble with toilet training, so it’s not necessarily for that reason. We plan to take Stanley with us most places so feel it’s important for travelling in the car too! Only 2 weeks to go now Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

H38

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Fri Nov 24 2017, 06:18

Ooh, exciting times. Can’t wait to see puppy photos Big Grin
You’re really lucky to be able to take Stanley to work with you.

I never used the crates for toilet training as she had a puppy training pad in her play pen. There are advantages of travel in crate too, in my opinion. Clean in any car (even when it’s not yours Wink ), makes for portable doggy bed in foreign places, safe travelling for pet. Mine gets wedged on the back seats as I don’t have a car boot and Nifty never rushes out of her crate arrived at destination.

What size crate? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Apr 11 2018, 22:42

Quick update.

Nifty will be one year old this weekend and is a big girl at around 17kgs.
I have just bought her a new travel case the next size up (so M : L 79 x W 58 x H 60 cm instead of S : L 72 x W 52 x H 51 cm) because she still fits in the S sized one but I want just a little more room for her.
In her travel case, she mostly lies down during travel so has room to do this. But when she sits or stands up, she has to duck her head a little (roof too low) hence the M size.

Warning - I don’t think the next size up (L) would fit through the doors and onto the back seat of alot of cars. It won’t fit in mine anyway !

What size crate? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down