Little pup won't stop biting

3 posters

Go down

Little pup won't stop biting Empty Little pup won't stop biting

Post by boobuff3 Wed Jul 06 2011, 11:15

Hello,

We have just picked up our lovely little mut at just 6weeks old. She was a little timid to begin with being the first of the litter to leave her mum and brothers and sisters but has now settled in brilliantly and happily runs around everywhere and is extremely playful and responsive.

The only problem we're having with her is nibbling and snapping. It's all done in a playful manner but i want to discourage it altogether as it does hurt with her razor sharp puppy teeth. We're currently using the approach of a firm "NO" and "NAUGHTY ROXY" and stop playing with her for a minute. But it's hard to discipline her when she's clearly teething like mad and needs something to chew on.

She was plenty of toys to bit but i'm struggling to find something specific for teething puppies, everything i've found says either 1) not suitable for puppies under 5kg (she's just under 3kg) 2) not suitable for puppied with baby teeth or 3) not suitable for puppies under 10weeks old.

Does anyone have any advise for a biting puppy? I don't want to have to tell her off for biting all the time Sad

boobuff3
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Little pup won't stop biting Empty Re: Little pup won't stop biting

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 11:30

You are doing the right thing by turning away and ignoring her. They really hate that. If she is nipping while lying in your lap try telling her no and giving her something that she can chew. I found frozen carrots and Kongs good for the teething phase.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:02

oooh frozen carrots! that sounds interesting I might do that for Russell!

yeah the biting i find calms down with what you're doing fairly quickly, at 4 months Russell is still biting a little bit but only ever softly, and it is usually an accident when playing tug of war!

Back to top Go down

Post by boobuff3 Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:06

Ooh i love the frozen carrots tip, i'll definitely try that.

Glad to hear that it will settle down in time. She is only playing and just gets a bit too excited!

So funny when she's been told off and ignored for a minute though...she has a little sulk and a cry then comes and gives you a big cuddle and a kiss to day sorry.

boobuff3

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:11

She is young to be away from her mother and littermates, really it is better to leave young pups with them until they are at least 8 weeks old. This is because the mother will continue to teach the pup acceptable behaviour including how hard it can bite, the difference between playing and aggression, and when enough is enough and playtime is over. Your pup has missed out on a couple of weeks of this as you got her so early, this will make your job harder.

As others have said turning away and ignoring her is a good idea, when she nips too hard stand up, turn on your heel and walk away. If she gets a bit too frenzied you can always pop her in another room for a minute or too to help her calm down. When you are teaching her not to nip say the same phrase, I use 'No biting' so they can associate what they learn with the words. Good luck!
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:13

I doubt that she's teething just yet! You have that joy to come in a few weeks or so. Big Grin But when she is teething, the frozen carrots are good, but so are nylabones and doggie teething gel.

I've always used a low, drawn out "Nooooo!" to nipping, and then turning away, giving no interraction at all. Then, when they're calm again, gentle praise. They soon pick it up, but will probably forget themselves a few times in the weeks to come!

Just be consistent and you should be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Thu Jul 07 2011, 09:54

All good advice given, and I would recomend it in a heartbeat.

Where the problem might set in (at around 8-9 weeks old) is if your pup doesn't seem to care about you ignoring him (ie, you stand up and ignore, and your puppy decides to bite the carpet instead!)

That's when it gets tricky. Both my vet and my breeder have recommended moving to flicking the nose. Personally, I think you should just stick with the ignoring, and the consistant "NOOOOOO" (or whatever phrase you choose).

They'll break through eventually!

Good Luck!
Kerrby
Kerrby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Voodoo
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07 2011, 11:04

Kerrby wrote: Both my vet and my breeder have recommended moving to flicking the nose.

Noooooooo! Please!

Flicking the nose will make the pup head shy! It looks awful if, every time your hand goes near your dog's head, they flinch away.

They will all go through phases where they won't listen. You just need to be patient & consistent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07 2011, 11:23

Caryll wrote:
Kerrby wrote: Both my vet and my breeder have recommended moving to flicking the nose.

Noooooooo! Please!

Flicking the nose will make the pup head shy! It looks awful if, every time your hand goes near your dog's head, they flinch away.

They will all go through phases where they won't listen. You just need to be patient & consistent.

Excellent point. The dog may even begin to act aggressive out of fear when someone goes near there head. You will also make it that much harder to clean their eyes or ears when neccessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Thu Jul 07 2011, 17:03

jstaff wrote:
Caryll wrote:

Noooooooo! Please!

Excellent point. The dog may even begin to act aggressive out of fear when someone goes near there head. You will also make it that much harder to clean their eyes or ears when neccessary.

Simply another option, and one that I do not agree with at that.

However, in order to play devils advocate, I did raise all of those same issues when I talked to both of them. Both responses were to mitigate the hand shyness by feeding/giving treats from the hand.

That being said, the theory is sound in a matter of karmaic and behaviorist balance, but I wouldn't flick my dog if you paid me.
Kerrby
Kerrby

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Voodoo
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07 2011, 17:21

when your pup does start teething they mentioned at puppy school to get an old take away container and make up some beef or chicken stock .. pour into it with bits of cut up vegies or fruit and any odd bits of meat and a boiled egg cut in half.. then freeze it and give to your pup.. very cool and soothing ... ( but maybe not for inside though !! Laughing )

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down