Collar or Harness?

Go down

Collar or Harness? Empty Collar or Harness?

Post by claire Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:13

Hi there

Sorry if I'm just repeating what other people have asked but in your opinions, which is best, a collar or harness? I only ask because Winnie who is 8 months old seems to almost choke herself to death with a collar. On the whole she walks beautifully, until of course she sees someone or something in the distance and then its pull, pull, pull. I read somewhere that staffies actually have quite sensitive necks so would like to try this but have also heard that harnesses just encourage dogs to pull even more. Any tips?

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Collar or Harness? Empty Re: Collar or Harness?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:20

I use a harness for Roxy, cause she pulls the same as Winnie ( sounds like she's gonna choke ) She walks so much nicer on a harness, but like Winnie...pulls when anothe rperson or dog is in sight.....she is so intent on meeting EVERYBODY and thinks that EVERYBODY wants to be her friend.

There are mixed views on collar versus harness, but I personally think you should use what you and your dog are both comfortable and happy with. I am so pleased I changed Roxy to a harness.

I have heard though that using a harness builds up their strength, and you have less control of the head area.

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:23

thanks. Roxy sounds like my dog!!! I think I'll have a go at a harness. Is a leather one best?

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:33

Not sure which harness is best, but I would definitely go for comfort above looks.
Here in Australia we can take our dogs into the pet supplies stores and try harnesses on to get the correct size and fit.....can you do that in the UK ? ( sorry, i'm just assuming you are in the UK ) If you can ...get one of the sales staff to help you

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:36

thanks

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:38

Loopy wrote:I use a harness for Roxy, cause she pulls the same as Winnie ( sounds like she's gonna choke ) She walks so much nicer on a harness, but like Winnie...pulls when anothe rperson or dog is in sight.....she is so intent on meeting EVERYBODY and thinks that EVERYBODY wants to be her friend.

There are mixed views on collar versus harness, but I personally think you should use what you and your dog are both comfortable and happy with. I am so pleased I changed Roxy to a harness.

I have heard though that using a harness builds up their strength, and you have less control of the head area.

I'm going to sswitch Suki onto the harness because she is just like Roxy and sounds like she is chocking herself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 15:21

Its better to try and train your dog to walk to heel on a collar and short lead. But hey we live in the real world and its not always possible. I spent the best part of a year trying to train Ty to walk to heel and just got no where. In the end he actually passed out from lack of air from pulling so much so i admit i gave up and switched to a padded harness. Yes he still pulls but at least i no he's not gonna kill himself! Kaos had i had the energy to train him to walk to heel probably would have but after a year with Ty i admit i chucked a harness on him as well Blushing My advice do what suits you and your dog best x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 15:29

All I'd say is try to train your dog on a collar & lead first. Then if you want to change to a harness, fine.

I rarely use one cause I can't control the front half of him (the 'business' end!) and as he's not always very good with dogs it could lead to problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down