Training - What steps to take going forward

3 posters

Go down

Training - What steps to take going forward  Empty Training - What steps to take going forward

Post by BriggsX4 Mon Feb 01 2016, 15:16

Hi everyone,
Looking for advice at what level training we are at:

Roxy will be ONE in 3 weeks times, she is very good natured dog, especially with our daughter (10 years). We agreed within the house that all 3 of us use the exact same words/commands with Roxy, as to avoid confusion. Roxy will bark at the door to go to the loo outside, she barks when she is excited (talks) or wants us to play with a toy or if she is about to eat. Other than that she isn't very vocal. We all say “out” and point to the living room, where Roxy will go and sit or lay down and wait until her food is ready, if while we are getting her food ready, she comes into the Kitchen, we put her food away, and repeat out and point. When Roxy is back in position, we say wait and put her food down and then say come and make Roxy sit a for a few seconds and then say “good girl” and she is into her food. Are we doing ok this way? or should we feed her another way. Roxy will not come into the kitchen while we are eating at the table, she will sit in the living room and look in, and when she sees the plates been taken from the table she will come in.
She loves to play ball in the tennis court, so I take her early morning (when fewer kids or dogs around), and remove her lead. I can throw the ball for an hour and she is happy out. When she is more relaxed, I take her for a walk around the park. We have dog buddies (all puppies or go to the same doggie day care) , if I can clearly see no one is around other than us, I will let her off the lead to play, and play and run. She has not shown any aggression towards any dog she has come across, but I have my radar on at all times, if Roxy sees a “walker, jogger, kid,” so makes a bee line for them and will not come back... Then of course she jumps at them, and with her strength this can cause problems. I am looking at getting the Unho Harness which I see has been tried and tested on the site as she pulls when excited. I bring food, as treats, and while walking ask her to “look at me, sit, stop” etc and treat, so it makes the walk something she looks forward too.
Is there a particular type of training that would help Roxy to come back on command or lay down where she is..that I should focus on – There are a few places I can take her (early mornings) where they are no people around and I should be able to allow her some time off lead, but obey when I ask her to come back or stay. I plan to have another 1-1 training with our trainer (in the park she goes to daily) but training for myself and Saoirse, as my husband doesn’t seem to have these issues!!! (or so he says !!!)
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
BriggsX4
BriggsX4
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : ROXY
Dog(s) Ages : Feb 2015
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Training - What steps to take going forward  Empty Re: Training - What steps to take going forward

Post by -Ian- Mon Feb 01 2016, 18:49

The feeding routine sounds spot on to me, begging at the table isn't somethings I would want. I ask Flo to sit before the bowl goes down only so that she doesn't get over excited so again I think this is all good.

Sounds like the only real area you need to work on is the recall. Getting Roxy to lay down on the spot is probably going to be a little harder but I would approach both with really high value treats, not her ordinary ones but the sort that she absolutely loves, this way you reward exceptional behaviour with the bestest treats.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Training - What steps to take going forward  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Training - What steps to take going forward  Empty Re: Training - What steps to take going forward

Post by Mia05 Mon Feb 01 2016, 20:13

hiya I would invest in a long line this way you still have control should roxy focus on something and try and run and as above high value treats with recall its about getting the dog to come to you despite distractions ie: other dogs a toy for her to have as a reward is another option. Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Training - What steps to take going forward  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down