My bitch had her first litter...

5 posters

Go down

My bitch had her first litter... Empty My bitch had her first litter...

Post by TomReyno Wed Jan 13 2016, 17:23

She's had to stop feeding though. After taking a long look online at symptoms and showing some pics to a trainee vet in the family, she appears to have mastitis. Thankfully, when she ballooned and we (partner and I) realised she was pregnant, I immediately bought substitute food. I did this because we re-homed Roxy at the age of 3. And you never know how a bitch may take to the demands of the feeds. At the minute, I'm filling a large bowl with a measured amount of the milk for them to eat/drink. I've made sure that they're all getting in and I only feed them on their demand (large racket haha). It seems to be every 4 hours, which is normal. But the milk is running low now, so what can I move them onto? Or do I continue this process for a few more weeks? There's 6 of the blighters, they all seem to be doing well I'm just sad for our dog. Can't wait for her to be on the anti bios, get her back to her best.

I'd like to apologize for what I'm asking, since Google may offer written guides I do prefer to hear from the grassroots and its always good to have a few people with advice, and able to answer questions that I may have about the process!

Thank you Smile

TomReyno
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My bitch had her first litter... Empty Re: My bitch had her first litter...

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13 2016, 20:13

I'm not really sure what to say, other than that if you suspect your dog has mastitis she should be seeing a vet. Online diagnosis and a guess from a photo by a student isn't enough. Your vet should also be able to advise you re the puppies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Wed Jan 13 2016, 21:19

can't wait for her to be on antibiotics? why isn't she on them already have you consulted a proper vet at all?

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Wed Jan 13 2016, 21:22

Im going to assume you are a male, so won't know the pain caused by mastitis. It can be incredibly painful for the bitch, and if a pup tries to nurse she may well attack it out of pain. She needs pain relief, anti-biotics and to be seperated from the puppies for a bit.

How old are the puppies..?
lexii
lexii
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Wed Jan 13 2016, 22:43

Thanks for coming to us for some advice, there is a lot of experience here from our members. Please get her to a vet ASAP to be checked, given a proper diagnosis and treated as necessary. They will also be able to provide advice for the puppy feeds too which will be beneficial and remove any doubt Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by TomReyno Wed Jan 13 2016, 23:43

LizP wrote:I'm not really sure what to say, other than that if you suspect your dog has mastitis she should be seeing a vet. Online diagnosis and a guess from a photo by a student isn't enough. Your vet should also be able to advise you re the puppies.

This was all obvious but we couldn't get an appointment until tomorrow (I reside in England). It was the evening when I first noticed the soreness and swelling. As for the guess, she's field working at a vet...so we can say educated guess?

Amelie wrote:can't wait for her to be on antibiotics? why isn't she on them already have you consulted a proper vet at all?

Literally posted this after setting up the appointment. Looking for advice not repeated obviousness.

lexii wrote:Im going to assume you are a male, so won't know the pain caused by mastitis. It can be incredibly painful for the bitch, and if a pup tries to nurse she may well attack it out of pain. She needs pain relief, anti-biotics and to be seperated from the puppies for a bit.

How old are the puppies..?

No, I've not had mastitis and yes, I'm male. I'm aware that it can be painful, after reading up on it. She isn't nursing, I stopped it as soon as I noticed how red she was and how firm and swollen the 2 teats were. She's actually ok, behaviour wise I mean. They are 4 weeks on the 16th of this month.

AussieStaff wrote:Thanks for coming to us for some advice, there is a lot of experience here from our members. Please get her to a vet ASAP to be checked, given a proper diagnosis and treated as necessary. They will also be able to provide advice for the puppy feeds too which will be beneficial and remove any doubt Smile

A reply without condescension?! Wow!

Yeah as I said above, I made this post as soon as I had got her booked into the vets. I'm just hoping that the next time I post, people don't act as if I'm completely stupid haha.

Thank you for your reply.

TomReyno

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Thu Jan 14 2016, 01:21

We're human and fill in gaps, so honestly you can't blame us for stating the obvious (get pups away from her and seek a vet asap) when you could of said all this info in the first original post and you could of gotten more clear and direct help. Did the vet mention a cool compress for her teats? maybe a tight t-shirt with a frozen tea towel, might ease whatever discomfort she is in until you can get her to the vets.
As she has been nursing for 4 weeks you can keep going with milk until around 5-6 weeks but they must stay with mum and each other at least until 8-12 weeks. to stop them from trying to feed of her, you could use a t-shirt but sadly they are going to try and suckle out of comfort and she is going to want to let them suckle because of her instincts.

Amelie

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Thu Jan 14 2016, 01:54

Ah the joys of communicating online ! Smile Can everyone please show respect to each other, we're all here for similar reasons and have different levels of experience. I'm glad you posted and sought advice, and it's great to hear she's been booked in at the vet, let us know how she gets on & what advice they give re the pup feeds Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14 2016, 08:34

Apologies if my post sounded off, it wasn't meant to, as Amelie said with only half the information I gave you the answer I thought was best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Jan 14 2016, 15:01

hope the dog gets on ok at the vet

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My bitch had her first litter... B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Fri Jan 15 2016, 00:59

There was literally no info in your post. You can not blame us for not knowing the facts when they were not given. We only ever have the dogs interests at heart.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Fri Jan 15 2016, 02:45

How did you get on at the vet ??
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down