Having two pups from the same litter?

+3
kelpie
Maria90
Neesieden
7 posters

Go down

Having two pups from the same litter? Empty Having two pups from the same litter?

Post by Neesieden Sat Sep 21 2013, 10:57

What's the feeling about having two pups from the same litter? Any experiences would be appreciated!

Neesieden
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Having two pups from the same litter? Empty Re: Having two pups from the same litter?

Post by Maria90 Sat Sep 21 2013, 11:20

Hi and welcome, sorry I can't be of much help, I only have ever had one dog at a time, I'm sure someone will be along to help soon!

Why not come over and introduce yourself?
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Having two pups from the same litter? Empty Re: Having two pups from the same litter?

Post by kelpie Sat Sep 21 2013, 11:25

No experience personally of 2 from the same litter but I wouldn't do it. I prefer a good age gap between my dogs, one can be hard enough to keep the attention of, if we'd had one of his brothers or sisters at the same time it would have made the whole job twice as hard. I'm sure it can work and that some people have had great success.... but Rolo is a bundle of fun on his own, 2 of him and i would have been in the nut house by now Big Grin
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Having two pups from the same litter? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Sat Sep 21 2013, 11:38

kelpie wrote:2 of him and i would have been in the nut house by now Big Grin
Laughing LaughingLaughing
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 11:49

As above generally not recommended can lead to loads of fighting or worse and can have to watch them like a hawk , generally a good 18 month or so age gap and general recommendation is opposite sexes , but saying that there is nothing in stone to say that not sticking to the guidelines won't work , it just comes from general opinions and people's experiences

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 13:18

The biggest problem (apart from trying to train two pups at once) is that siblings are already attached to each other & are more likely to bond with each other rather than their owners!

It can cause all sorts of problems.Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 13:19

P.S. A reputable breeder will not allow two siblings to go to the same home at the same time, at least not without an awful lot of questions as to how you will cope with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Sep 21 2013, 16:13

It could turn into a nightmare, even two pups from different litters the same age would be a massive handfull. the training would quite hard too.
A few weeks after I got marley the lass i was seing at the time moved in on a temp basis. she had a staffy 3 weeks older than marley and although there were some cute moments I was really really really really pleased when she moved out. Nothing against her lol
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 17:39

Littermates can be very aggressive to eachother, it is not something i would do to be honest. If you are wanting two dogs because you feel one may be lonely i wouldn't worry, staffies like people and won't miss canine companionship if they are alone from the start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 17:45

Not any experience, but as all above have said I have heard its not a good idea Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Sep 21 2013, 19:28

There not staffies but my mum bought 2 dogs from the same litter from a farm I dont want to s  They are OK but its really not a good idea, hand full is an understatement!! As been said above no reputable breeder would allow it.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by paul l Sun Sep 22 2013, 00:02

Hi contrary to above posts there is someone near to us who have staffy unneutered brothers, they are a couple of years old and are lovely well behaved dogs, although I think it is an exception.
Paul
paul l
paul l

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Busta
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 09:21

Sazzle wrote:There not staffies but my mum bought 2 dogs from the same litter from a farm I dont want to s  They are OK but its really not a good idea, hand full is an understatement!! As been said above no reputable breeder would allow it.
paul l wrote:Hi contrary to above posts there is someone near to us who have staffy unneutered brothers, they are a couple of years old and are lovely well behaved dogs, although I think it is an exception.
Paul
Hi Paul , you are correct and see you also point out it is an exception . Nobody can be a fortune teller and say it won't work and all we can do is advise on the guidelines on what generally is the best way to go to give things the best chance of working out thumbs up 

Back to top Go down

Post by paul l Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:47

Hi Dave,

Totally agree and whilst I gave the example that I know of I would`nt advise it myself.

Paul
paul l
paul l

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Busta
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:49

paul l wrote:Hi Dave,

Totally agree and whilst I gave the example that I know of I would`nt advise it myself.

Paul
thumbs up 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 14:47

when we got our boy we asked the breeder about the possibility of getting two and they said they would not recommend it.. same sex or either could have led to problems they said. better to give some time between them and although we were disappointed at the time I was chuffed with them for their honesty..so 15 months on our boy has now a sister same[ maw n paw] and although they do squabble every now and again things are going ok but can now understand why they said no...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down