Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed

4 posters

Go down

Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed  Empty Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed

Post by Staffy Vin Fri Jan 08 2016, 08:52

Hi all,

I have a four year old English Staffy who I rescued at 18 months old. When he came to me he had all sorts of problems both behavioural and physical. He has an incredibly sensitive stomach and as such I slowly transitioned him to only dry food. He has been doing great on that his skin troubles have cleared up and his stomach has settled completely.

My question is to do with his recent loss of weight. I used to feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and evening however I have just moved into an apartment and so have transitioned him to just over 3 cups only in the evening... I take him for a long run in the morning (approx 5 kilometres) and often the same or similar in the evenings. He didn't have that much exercise when he had a big backyard to play in.

My common sense tells me that his weight loss is probably due to increased exercise and stress of moving into a new home? But it's been a fortnight and I'm worried I'm starving him...

I'll try and attach some photos but he looks a bit fatter in them than he does really... The top two are before the move the bottom two are now.

Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed  Image11

Staffy Vin
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinny
Dog(s) Ages : Four
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed  Empty Re: Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed

Post by AussieStaff Fri Jan 08 2016, 10:02

He looks ok to me, but what does he weigh ? My boy looks a bit on the skinny side when he's standing but seems far chunkier sitting. He's 2yrs 3 mths old & just under 20kg.
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed  Empty Re: Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed

Post by -Ian- Fri Jan 08 2016, 11:01

Hi ya, welcome to the Forum Smile

Weight is the key really. You may be under feeding if he's getting more exercise than he was. I would give him a small breakfast an hour before you take him for a run so that he has fuel to burn otherwise he will burn whatever is stored from the feed the night before.

It won't do any harm to see how he goes with a second feed. If you notice him getting too heavy simply cut it back a little until you find the correct amount for him.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy Vin Fri Jan 08 2016, 22:48

Thanks guys! It'll be difficult to feed him an hour before his morning run as we go just before six am. I am also trying to get him on a bathroom schedule as I start work again in 2.5 weeks. I took time off to settle him into our new situation. He's around 18.5 kilos perhaps just under but I have been told he's quite small for a male. ThanK's for your input I might have to add a bit more to his meal.

Staffy Vin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinny
Dog(s) Ages : Four
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Jan 08 2016, 22:59

18.5kg isn't a bad weight at all. My Flo is quiet small and weighs 18kg but isn't "Fat" at all. You could always feed after the run I guess, it's all about replacing the used fuel really Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Is my staffy too thin... Feeding has changed  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Elise-R Sat Jan 09 2016, 00:22

He looks alright to me, from the pictures it doesn't look like you can see his ribs. Most dogs these days are over weight so sometimes dogs who are a good weight look too thin as you're used to seeing fatter dogs.

If you're worried up the amount of food a little and see if he gains more weight Smile
Elise-R
Elise-R
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down