stig
Rupertsbooks
Kathy
debtom
Sazzle
janey
15 posters

Go down

Injured How has your Staffy changed your life?

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 08:22

I was just thinking over the weekend in how many ways Rupes has changed my life. Having this dog has opened up a new world to me. It is amazing. I would really love to hear everyone's stories.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Injured Re: How has your Staffy changed your life?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 08:37

Before I got Loki I was suffering from a long-term illness and depression, I'd go weeks without leaving the house. Then we got Loki and I immediately had a reason to get out of bed everyday, leave the house, had so many responsibilities when I hadn't had any responsibilities for years, etc. He's taken away like 80% of the depression and even helped me with my anxiety issues with talking to people (everyone wants to talk to you when you have a puppy, and I have to talk to people for him to meet new dogs). So he's given me back my life that I was just slowly giving up on. Can't give a better reason than that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 09:08

Having Alfie initially caused a lot of problems in my life but I wouldnt change a thing. I cant ever imagine being without him now. Hes filled a massive gap in my life and given me something to look forward to every day. Hes given me something to focus and concentrate on. He keeps me from being lonely, cold (Laughing), makes me laugh and makes me proud every single day. He's like my right arm now

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:50

Moo is my life Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:57

Roxy and Vinny are my little soulmates and best friends Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:02

I can't say that having either Bandit (my last boy) or Dempsey has changed my life because I've had/been around dogs since I was very young.

My oh, however, was dramatically changed by Bandit. They became best friends very quickly & Bandit opened up a whole new world of walks, play & sheer joy for my oh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:58

I think I just feel so much happier and settled since I got Daisy, everything I do now revolves around her, my non-doggy friends can't understand that but I love it, we rely on each other, if that makes sense, and it gives me a purpose, routine and so much happiness, she makes me smile all the time Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Tue Apr 09 2013, 12:58

Caley has changed our lives quite a bit, my OH and me hardly got time together, now we go for walks together with Caley, it has certainly brought us closer. My children do Muay Thai and trains every day of the week so the OH and them are out every evening,I used to get so bored on my own, so I now have Caley to keep me company and I would NEVER EVER be without her. She makes me smile every minute of every day when I am with her. Love Struck
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How has your Staffy changed your life? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:14

My girls changed my life. I've not only got a best friend and amazing companion and shadow, I now know what I want in life now and basically have a job because of her. As a person I've become a lot more confident, I've met friends due to her and I just do everything with her Smile I spend more time with my dad and have bonded with him a lot more too. Since we've had her he's came off night shifts. He'd done night shifts basically my whole life and I only saw him for about 10 minutes a day and he'd just leave again, he was here on the weekends but was always asleep and I had work so again we saw each other a hour max Sad it was very weird having him around; but we walk ebony together and talk about other dogs and it's just great having my dad back and bonding with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:20

My entire life revolves around Logan. I am a very overly stressed person, and come from a family that work themselves too hard. I got Logan a few years back when things weren't going to well personally and since then everything has improved.

Having a dog again, especially a dog like Logan, really gave me a sense of purpose and something to take my mind of things. Things are a lot more simple when you think of things from the perspective of a dog owner. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:30

Rocky has changed out lives, me and hubby that is. We have met more friends and get out for walks much more than we did before we had him.

Rocky has helped with my depression too I now feel a little happier with life.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:53

MatLogan wrote:My entire life revolves around Logan. I am a very overly stressed person, and come from a family that work themselves too hard. I got Logan a few years back when things weren't going to well personally and since then everything has improved.

Having a dog again, especially a dog like Logan, really gave me a sense of purpose and something to take my mind of things. Things are a lot more simple when you think of things from the perspective of a dog owner. Smile

Exactly the same with me Mat Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:57

EllieSmith wrote:Exactly the same with me Mat Smile

From picking up on a few things people have said on the forum over a period of time, I think a lot of us come from very similar backgrounds/situations. Which is pretty interesting Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 14:24

I find reading what you have all put in your notes very touching. I think it's amazing that people can be so honest about these things.

I completely relate to the depression thing, although I never got a dog because I had depression. It just lifts me up so much and helps me channel nature (if that makes sense?) so much more, I love all weather, even if it is raining because I am always interested to see what today's walk will bring. I feel safe walking around the streets even in dodgy areas as people are a bit odd around Staffies, I do little experiments in communication - so instead of saying something to Rupes like "can you stop lying on my leg, it is hurting," I think it instead - and try and work out whether humans and dogs can communicate without words (sorry that sounded very cheesy, but I know even scientists wonder why dogs seem to have such a psychic connection with their owners). I feel Rupes, or rather my relationship with Rupes has protected me from emotional upheaval elsewhere be it in other relationships, or work. I like the light hearted conversation with other dog owners. I like the challenges. I had one guy come up to me to say that years ago he was diagnosed with depression and his doctor prescribed him getting a dog (!) anyway he went ahead and got one and it made an enormous difference. Now he is living in a no-dogs flat he says he is worried about getting ill again.

People say "oh, having a dog must be such a responsibility" but I don't see it like that. I've even found myself taking him on "necessary" walks that I work out are more for my benefit than his. My early morning walks really clear my head.

I also just love the weight of him and his slight clumsiness. He makes me laugh constantly. At least once a day I think thank you whatever it was that ensured that this dog came into my life. (I can not admit this to non dog owners as it sounds absurd).

Tara: what made you decide to get a Staff or even a dog? ps I like his green collar with his markings.

Codlingkid: I really understand what you mean about bonding. My parents are impossible but for some reason they love my dog and it has made things much easier. It also makes it easier for me to spend lots of time with godchildren etc because they just want to play and talk to the dog and take him out for walks, when usually the prospect of a walk on anything but a very sunny day puts them in a foul mood.

Matlogan: what do you think the similarities are?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 14:27

Rupertsbooks wrote:Matlogan: what do you think the similarities are?

A lot of our members have had experiences with depression/anxiety/stress a lot seem to have been through a lot and depend very heavily upon their dogs.

I can relate with it personally and find it very heart warming to see that people care about their dogs. Main reason I enjoy the forum. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 16:19

Rupertsbooks wrote:Tara: what made you decide to get a Staff or even a dog? ps I like his green collar with his markings.

Had dogs my whole life. When our old Boxer, Zac, died, my dad said we weren't getting another dog (I still live at home) because we'd always had dogs and he was sick of it now. But this was in the middle of my illness and depression, and I was just getting worse, so after a year or so he told me I could have a dog as long as it was a small breed like a Miniature Pinscher or whatever. After doing some research I came across Staffs on a list of small dog breeds and read a quote from someone saying there's no breed more loving, loyal and affectionate than Staffs. Since I don't really go out, don't have friends in the real world to interact with, I decided I wanted the clingiest dog I could find, so decided to go with a Staff. And he is the clingiest dog ever, I love him to bits, whenever he hears my bedroom door open he stands at the door to the living room waiting for me to come in Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Tue Apr 09 2013, 17:24

I've always been a dog person, but I grew up with rotties and then a German Shepard, I never set out for a staff and had never considered one as I was always a big dog person.

After losing my German Shepard Zac I was heartbroken, I'd lost family dogs in the past and the circumstances that led to my Rottie Tara being put down saw me lose my faith in dogs altogether, but Zac was extremely loyal to me right to the end and the bond I had with him was much greater than the family dogs, probably because he was the first dog I had that I chose myself.

I wanted another so badly but everytime I went to meet one I'd start getting teary eyed and couldn't go through with it, sounds strange but I felt like I was trying to replace him and it made me feel guilty. One of the breeders suggested that I should consider another breed as it may be easier for me, so I took his advice and looked at several other dogs but couldn't make my mind up.

By chance I came across a Staffy breeder and after looking at the pups I chose Stig straight away, went home to do some research and after a while decided Staffies weren't what the media portrayed them to be and I liked the idea of a playfull and bouncy dog(the opposite to my German Shepard), I went ahead and bought him and it's the best move I ever made. Stig is constantly under my feet or by my side, always up for a hug and a bit of fun and loves long walks, ideal as when things get to much I also like long walks only before they were spent thinking whereas now they're focused on Stig, if I'm ever feeling down and the kids aren't around to cheer me up Stig is always the first to make me smile, and is often rewarded with playtime or walks for being so awesome, his needs are simple and he expecs nothing in return for his loyalty, although he gets a hell of a lot in return because I choose to spoil him. There have been times I've felt like giving up, a redundancy, several deaths in the family and an occasionally hostile homelife have pushed me to a point where I have felt like I'm no use to anyone and my family would be better off without me, I'm sure my family would disagree but sometimes you can't help but feel down, Stig snaps me out of it pretty quickly and is my reason for carrying on, without me he would end up in rescue, he depends on me and I could never let him down, because no matter how tough things get he would never let me down either.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 09 2013, 18:35

Such nice words Dave Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony n Jane Tue Apr 09 2013, 18:56

Sat reading this with tears in my eyes , I have not gone through any thing like the life challenges above. Ella has changed our lives in small simple ways, I work long hard hours and cant wait to get home to see my baby, she makes me laugh out loud every day, i have lernt how to use the camera since we got her lol, as with everyone else she is a constant shadow always under my feet, i've become more thoughtful around the house keeping it tidy so things dont get chewed and she does not hurt herself, My OH never used to be interested in animal films or programs but now we regularly find ourselves watching doggy programs or shedding a tear at sentimental dog and animal movies. But most of all Ella has made us both very very happy Smile
Tony n Jane
Tony n Jane

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and half
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Tue Apr 09 2013, 18:58

Someone started a similar topic a couple of weeks ago but this is what i wrote then...

My life has become a brighter place since getting otis. It's the best decision I ever made. My husband and I have been battling infertility for 3 years so otis Is my baby.
I'm much fitter with my daily walks.
I now seek out parks, beaches, fields and wee visit somewhere different every weekend as a family.
Otis inspired me to do a 26 mile walk in April for charity...I would have ne'er have done anything like that before Otis.
My once spotless house is now covered in toys, tissue paper, bits of chews, tennis balls....you name it.
I haven't finished a full meal since I got Otis lol he always gets a little something.

Add to all this he has saved my life as I was so close to suicide before getting him as I was so miserable and depressed battling our journey to have a baby...Otis changed my life and I am much calmer and human babies will come eventually once nature decides I'm ready but in the meantime I will always have unconditional love for my fur baby Otis xxxx
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:31

Dave, I had to pull over in my car so that I could read to the end of your message (also, I love the name Stig - how did you choose it?).

Plus, everyone else's story. They are so touching. It is quite amazing what a dog can do to your life. It's like entering the fifth dimension (for me, anyway). Another thing I like about Rupes is that when he's not going bonkers in the park he's asleep somewhere in the flat - it makes me feel relaxed. I used to always feel pressured to be doing something. Now I look at Rupes and think - if he can be happy just lazing in this room, so can I.

Dave and Tara - you both had wonderful dogs called Zac. I often dread the day when Rupes in not around or worse - if something happened to me, and there was nobody there to look after him. I try and make him into the best dog he can be so that he never risks being made homeless again.

Tara - you might find this interesting:

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/oxytocin-increases-when-your-dog-looks-at-you

Otismummy: how did you come to thinking about getting a dog? Was it because of the waiting and stress to do with infertility or was it more a case of, we've always wanted a dog, let's just finally get one.

I am now going to try and have a look at some of the photographs you have all posted of your dogs.

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:48

Rupertsbooks wrote: Codlingkid: I really understand what you mean about bonding. My parents are impossible but for some reason they love my dog and it has made things much easier. It also makes it easier for me to spend lots of time with godchildren etc because they just want to play and talk to the dog and take him out for walks, when usually the prospect of a walk on anything but a very sunny day puts them in a foul mood.

Yeah my parents are pretty impossible too; My mom's not so bad it's just my dad, we argue a lot and we're just not half as happy as a family now he's home (it sounds bad) but we've all got a healthy amount of settling down to do but having Ebony around definitely makes it a lot easier for us all. For one when things get too much at home instead of sitting up in my room like I would when I argued with my mom before having Ebony, I can just go out on a walk now! It also gives us common interests and what not, and getting out for dog walks and things really have helped. It's sort of like having a stranger here with us since he's never really been around, almost like were his hotel Laughing I do love him though, but sometimes emotions are hard to show after not really knowing someone which sounds bad as he's my dad, but I don't personally think things would have been as progressive as things are if hadn't have had Ebony.

I agree with what you said completely too, about loving all weathers and getting out a lot more! I certainly do too, I also go running in the mornings to keep fit and just clear my mind before work and college but now I have my little companion every step of the way to keep me smiling Love Struck I've not really experienced life too much, but I truly am a better, more out-going and happy person now than I ever was, or hoped to be. So really it's a big thanks to Ebony, and the people I've met through her like all of you lovely people on here, people at work and other fellow dog lovers.

Reading everyones stories were very touching too, It's lovely to see how we're all happier and have been uplifted due to our dogs! Well done to everyone for being so honest on such a subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:58

Rupertsbooks wrote:Dave, I had to pull over in my car so that I could read to the end of your message (also, I love the name Stig - how did you choose it?).

Plus, everyone else's story. They are so touching. It is quite amazing what a dog can do to your life. It's like entering the fifth dimension (for me, anyway). Another thing I like about Rupes is that when he's not going bonkers in the park he's asleep somewhere in the flat - it makes me feel relaxed. I used to always feel pressured to be doing something. Now I look at Rupes and think - if he can be happy just lazing in this room, so can I.

Dave and Tara - you both had wonderful dogs called Zac. I often dread the day when Rupes in not around or worse - if something happened to me, and there was nobody there to look after him. I try and make him into the best dog he can be so that he never risks being made homeless again.

Tara - you might find this interesting:

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/oxytocin-increases-when-your-dog-looks-at-you

Otismummy: how did you come to thinking about getting a dog? Was it because of the waiting and stress to do with infertility or was it more a case of, we've always wanted a dog, let's just finally get one.

I am now going to try and have a look at some of the photographs you have all posted of your dogs.

It was a bit of both we had always spoke about having a dog once we were married as we had both grown up with family dogs and I don't really feel a house is a home without a dog, but I guess the decision to get a dog was pushed to the forefront of trying for a baby and it not happening. I'm not saying he is a substitute for a baby cause I will always love Otis even if human babies arrive but he is helping me slowly realise that a human baby isn't the be all and end all of life.
Otissmummy
Otissmummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:00

Rupertsbooks wrote:Dave, I had to pull over in my car so that I could read to the end of your message (also, I love the name Stig - how did you come up with it?

It was actually the o/h who came out with it first, I'd been struggling to think of names as the missus wouldn't let me call him Chuck Norris, I was allowed Chuck but it didn't sound as cool. He had an obsession with bins and rubbish, the first time I ever saw him he was emptying a bin all over the breeders yard, the o/h was trying to empty the bin and Stig was diving in at the rubbish and the o/h said something along the lines of "get out of the f-ing bin Stig", I asked why she called him that and she said Stig of the dump, I liked it and it became his name. Being I'm a bit of a petrol head a lot of people wrongly assume he's named after The Stig from top gear.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by debs0109 Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:31

My other half bought Mia for me when I was at a low point in my life. I suffer from depression and anxiety after some bad experiences that happened to me in the past. I can honestly say that she has turned my life around. I now have a reason to get up in the morning and she is always there for me giving unconditional love. She is a joy to have and I wouldn't be without her no matter what.
I will go as far as to say if I hadn't of got Mia I don't know if I would be here now. She has saved my life and for that I will be eternally grateful to her. Smile
debs0109
debs0109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : MIA
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:39

My 2 have filled a big gap in my life (been married for nearly 15 years hee hee ) A big focus for me away from work and a big responsibility

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:12

I couldn't imagine my life without Maggie now she is such a big part of it. I have always had a dog in my life apart from a three year gap after we lost our beloved lab Sue at 16 years old. It broke my dad's heart so took us 3 years to convince him to let us get another dog, then along came Molly and everything was good Smile
When me and the OH got our own house I was soon begging and nagging about us getting our own dog and eventually he relented and we started looking. I wasn't looking for a staffy at all and dare I say it, staffys scared me a little. That was until we met Maggie, or rather she picked us. It was love at 1st sight for both of us and she showed me how wrong I was about the breed Smile
She is the 1st thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night, I find myself thinking about her while I'm at work and missing her when I'm not with her. She is and always will be my bubba boo moo bag Laughing
On the side of changing our lives, she has been a great source of distraction for me when my OH is away for long periods of time, he's in the RAF, she gives me something to focus on other then what the OH is up to, if he's OK or safe.
She gives me comfort and love, for example the 1st time OH went to Afghan I said good bye to him shut the front door and broke down in a flood of tears, Maggie was straight there head in my lap licking my hand none of the usual bouncy hugs she just seem to know how upset I was and what I needed at that moment in time.
I spend long periods of time on my own because of his job, which I don't mind because I love him and I'm slightly antisocial and like my own company Smile but having Maggie gives me company and gets me out of the house when I'm not at work, she gives me something to cuddle up to at night and makes me feel safe, even though I swear if anyone broke in she would either hide under the covers with me or jump on them expecting some fuss and attention Laughing
All in all Maggie has been the best thing in our lives and I can't believe we have nearly had her a year Smile I would never ever be without her she's my life and my world Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:16

Great story Emma , thanks for sharing >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlene_Frank Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:21

I come from a huge family, between my mum and dad I have over 22 auntie’s and uncles … well over 130 cousins and all the girls have had kids by 17 … and unfortunately most of them are in pretty dodgey relationships, I knew I didn’t want to be like that and I worked really hard through school and got myself in to a brilliant job that I loved but I meant I was travelling a lot, I was lucky if I spent 1 night at home a fortnight.

Anyway … I turned 21 and my boyfriend of 4 years ended it due to the fact I was never here, he felt he had the back seat to my work … was probably very true, but he said some really hurtful things, and I remember crying to friends about it and they agreed with him … I was completely broken, after a few more months I realised something had to give, it was either going to be my life, family, friends, even my health or my job.

So I got the head down and got a much more stable position within the company, which has me based in 1 place 95% of the time … few months later, I talked my mum in to “looking” at dogs (my dad was really wanting one as well) agreed that I would be the sole carer of the dog, and would supply everything for it.

We went to see Frank and straight away I wanted him as did my mother.
Thanks to Frank I started walking more every day, was sleeping at night so that I would be up with him the morning, I started having set meals, he got me out interacting with people outside of work … his routine is soo important to his happiness it has completely changed mines.

I decided after about 8 months I wanted another dog, and we contacted the Staffy Scotland Rescue Team and they paired us with Tara, she is the complete and utter opposite to Frank, he is wild and free and likes to go and do his own thing, Tara however is a suke, she likes to be with us all the time, gives the best hugs and will follow any one around the house who speaks to her!

I have the best of both worlds now, my career is still going strong and I love my job (although it has its down days being it is in BT) and I have a great life outside of work, I’m happy and my furry babies are happy.

I believe in fate and I think I had to have my heart broken in order to reach out to find Frank and Tara! Worrying thing is I’m glad it happened because I would rather have my Frankie and T!

Love Struck
Charlene_Frank
Charlene_Frank

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Frank and Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Months and 21 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dazoldo Fri Apr 12 2013, 15:00

lets see....since we picked tessa from the rspca center nearly 12 months ago i have no room on the bed at night,i am permanently knackered from all the walking,the lawn is ruined,i have loads of cuts scratches and bruises from the little tussles we have and i am skint because of all the crap that i can't help buying her. but i wouldn't give her up for anything or anyone.

dazoldo

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : tessa
Dog(s) Ages : around 4 we think
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:24

Life before Staffy is pale shadow by comparison.

Charlene- how did you find such perfect dogs for you? I often wonder that about rupe. How did you know that they were the right dogs for you?

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlene_Frank Mon Apr 15 2013, 12:13

Truth be told, I didn’t. I have been raised around Labs and German Shepard’s.

But I didn’t want big dog I wanted something small but not shoe size small ... being from the internet generation Google became my main source of information, and then I joined this site and ended up with Frank. However I should mention that before getting Frank I had made solid plans that IF it was too much for me and I struggled with all the demands of having a dog, my dad would step in and he would take Frank. Thankfully Frank is such a special little boy I done great.

I think after reading some posts on here about Staffys I decided that’s want I wanted.

With Tara I had become much more aware of the issues with Staffys, and decided I wanted to rescue, so I contacted the Staffy Scotland Rescue Team. They come to my house and assessed if they though I could handle another dog, had the room in the house, if I could afford it, and lucky they did.
They paired us with Tara who as I have said is the opposite of Frank’s personality. We arranged for a meeting in the local park. We walked them on the leads together and they were fine, so Frank got off his lead then Tara, same thing then happened in our back garden. This was to see how Frank would be with Tara in some place he would class as his. And again Frank was brilliant, so in to the house and even better.

I signed for Tara there and then, and I wouldn’t be without either of them now! Franks my odd ball child and Tara is a mummy’s girl.

I’ve only ever once seen my two show any sign of aggression and that was when I was walking them over Christmas one night and a man come out of the trees in the local woods on his own (no dog), both of them were at my feet quick as hell, bums parked as if to say this is MY MUM!!! When the guy got a little closer Tara did give a little growl then went silent again, the guy passed and they both watched until he was a fair bit away then they started walking again, and to be fair I don’t think that was bad behaviour I think that was them being bit more protective.

x
Charlene_Frank
Charlene_Frank

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Frank and Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Months and 21 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 15 2013, 17:57

Diesel totally changed my life, she gave me purpose an responsibility i was needin. Altho i'd started to settle down i n the last few yrs - holdin down a job an buyin a house i still didnt have much direction. But she gave me a reason to get out of my bed, i love spendin my tíme goin out on walks an i love the feelin a get when a teach her a new trick both proud of her an myself.
Havin Diesel also made me realised just how much i love dogs, an got me into the dog world. Because of this she made me realise my true direction in life, which is why am goin back to college to study Animal Care. I cant wait coz altho my job pays the bills i hate it!
Also due to this i started volunteering at my local stray dog shelter....where i met Leroy! The new addition an love of my life. So i've got a lot to thank my wee Dieselypup for!
And as i sit here Leroy curled up on my left with his big monsterious head on my lap an Diesel on my right sittin tryin to lick my face off i couldn't b happier!!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Apr 18 2013, 13:21

Axl has changed everything about my life which I'm grateful for. I suffered from depression for over 10 years on and off and never really came off the tablets but the week I got my furkid I stopped taking the tablets and I haven't felt the need for them since (going on a year and a half ago nearly) so I guess he's lifted my depression for me when nothing else could. He's saved my life in a way Smile
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Apr 18 2013, 19:42

Amazing how many of us suffered from depression. Maybe most people do? It is wonderful that dogs can soothe this very difficult state of mind to deal with. I think also the consistency of a dog's behaviour is very calming.

I wish I had written down why I wanted a dog in the first place - I can't remember. The rewards are so unexpected and so many, I could never have anticipated them.

Tickly mac: I am v impressed by your new career path! How did you choose Leroy? And Diesel? The sense of purpose you get from finding a new place to live is completely different from the one you get from hanging out with your best pal i.e. dog. angel
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Thu Apr 18 2013, 23:31

Our 3 children wore us down with constantly asking if we could get a dog and it's the best thing ever! I love going out each morning with him (been driving for about 25 years and hardly walked anywhere!!!) and chatting to all the other friendly dog owners. I meet up with a friend 4 times a week because she walks her Pug, and a different friend has Bella (another staffy) and we get together as often as possible, it's great to watch Charlie running with Bella. I love watching him shake his toys in the garden, he makes me smile everyday. We all love him Big Grin
Griffin5
Griffin5

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:00

I've got a huge lump in my throat through reading these stories - so uplifting, moving and poignant. I thank everyone who has been so honest and open by sharing their life with us, and how their dog has improved it - truly inspirational.

Huge >Big Grin< to you all, and your lovely Staffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down