What I've learned so far

4 posters

Go down

What I've learned so far Empty What I've learned so far

Post by Laura_sa Wed Dec 16 2015, 08:45

Hi all,

I've been reading through the forums today as I've been struggling with our 11-month-old the last little while as she has been backsliding with behaviour lately. Such great advice - so thank you for that!

It seems that all of my concerns are normal behaviours for Staffies, but thought I'd share my experiences and maybe there are some tips from others!

1. Jumping and mouthing (hard)
Eco is the friendliest girl you'll ever meet - but when she gets hyperexcited she jumps and mouths people too hard.

Solution: I only let her off lead when I am very sure the dog and owners are comfortable with it. When there are lots of smaller kids or small dogs I don't let her off lead. Sometime I feel like I am overly cautious - especially when other owners judge you. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also get quite sad sometimes knowing that I can't let her run free like the other placid dogs in the park - does anyone else feel like this? Do you think it's better to avoid over-exciting environments, or carry on so she gets used to it?

2. Will she ever learn to greet people calmly?
Eco is much better at greeting us without mouthing and jumping too much. Any new person and she's straight back to crazy zoomie jumpy Tazmanian Devil - does this ever improve with age? Or must I be ready with delicious treats and go straight into training mode every single time?

3. Stubborn as can be
When she doesn't want to go, she will not move. Other than luring her on with a stick or a treat and acting like a crazy dog person myself, does anyone have extra advice for this?

4. Whine whine whine
Does it ever end? Whine for toy, whine for treat, whine for walk, whine for toy stuck under couch, whine for not looking at her enough!

5. Cuddles
So Eco isn't *supposed* to sleep in the bed. Has anyone ever been able to resist the cuddles?

6. I started an instagram account
I realised that I am officially a crazy Staffie lady - yup. I started her very own Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/ecothestaffie/ Any of you on Instagram too?
Laura_sa
Laura_sa
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Eco, Chomsky
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Jan 2015, 7 April 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

What I've learned so far Empty Re: What I've learned so far

Post by Guest Wed Dec 16 2015, 12:01

What I really like is the way you're thinking about everything and looking for solutions. Not every problem has an easy or quick fix, but keep on working and you'll improve, improve, improve...

Thoughts on your questions:

1. mouthing. There are various techniques recommended for this, the 'ouch' one which I think works best with smaller pups, taking hands away, turning your back. If you've tried all of that and are still having problems, the one I found worked best for Millie was to take hold of her bottom jaw GENTLY as she's trying to mouth your hand. The aim is for it to be irritating, not painful. All you're trying to do is give a consequence to Eco's behaviour that she's rather avoid, and let her work out that the way to avoid it is not to mouth. As with all techniques, you need to be consistent and persistent, and it might well help.

2. Greeting calmly. The downside to having a super friendly staffie is that they can be too super friendly! And when you get people who say 'oh, it's alright, I don't mind' and then proceed to give your dog a cuddle and even a treat, it's hard because they've then rewarded your dog for the behaviour you don't want. I'd try a combination of two things. First, teach Eco a command like 'off' (not down which can be confused with lie down), which means put all four feet on the ground, and make sure you reward lots when she gets it right. Use that every single time she jumps up ask for 'off', and reward ONLY when all four feet are on the ground (sit is ok too). Together with that, I'd have her on the lead and just block her forwards motion when she goes to jump. At the same time, say 'off' and reward her. Explain to people that she is in training and that they can really help you by joining in (dog lovers like to be helpful like this!). And consistency, and persistence, and time...

3. Stubborness - I personally just walk off and leave them! You want to down tools, fine, but I'm not playing your game. At the moment, you do sound like you're making it a bit too much fun for her. Always be super careful about rewarding inappropriate behaviour, even with things that might not at first sight appear to be a reward to us. If it's anything at all she wants and she gets it for being stubborn, then being stubborn is effective.

4. Whining. As above. It's very tempting to say 'oh good grief, have your toy/treat/cuddle', but each time you do that you are saying 'and if you whine again you might get another one'. So ignore the whining unless it's a legs crossed or real distress whine. It'll be a pain for a while but as soon as she works out it's not going to get her anything she'll stop. What you can do if you want is again find something that is the opposite of what she wants, so if it's attention while you're watching tv for example, at the very first whine you just get up and leave the room. Not a word, not a look, just go to the loo or something. She'll then not only not be getting her reward, she'll be getting something negative for her whinging.

Have you read this:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t63379-how-learning-works

If not, it's worth a quick ziz through as once you've got the theory you'll be better able to spot problems before they arise and find solutions there and then.

Sorry, missed one... 5. Cuddles. No! Total willpower fail there.

(and no Instagram I'm afraid)

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura_sa Wed Dec 16 2015, 12:17

Thanks LizP - Great advice, much appreciated. I read the "How learning works post" this morning. I think I have the basics of training theory, but definitely get lazy in applying it consistently.

After being an absolute poo-eating nightmare yesterday, this morning's walk she was a darling. Sat and stayed and played very politely with other doggies!

Re: jumping and mouthing. I am going to have to rope in some dog people to do some real-life training with this I think. I can't see any other way of changing that behaviour. She is is clever girl and doesn't mouth me but pushes her luck with strangers !

Re: Stubborn and whining - you're spot on. I have been unintentionally rewarding it - I will walk away next time and see how she likes it!

Thanks again Smile

Laura_sa
Laura_sa

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Dec 16 2015, 15:23

To this day mia can be very stubborn i had a real problem with mia mouthing and she was three anythings possible if u come across any other problems dnt be afraid to ask

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

What I've learned so far B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura_sa Wed Dec 16 2015, 15:44

Thanks Mia05 - The mouthing is my major worry as it does make people nervous with her! Will just have to see how it goes.
Laura_sa
Laura_sa

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Dec 16 2015, 16:01

I used natures menu treats with mia and cut them in half the end result mia takes treats from my mouth i practised everyday with her for 15 mins at one the important thing is calmness before this exercise as the excitedness tends to make mouthing worse i also sat at mias level on the floor use one word commands as this is more effective and gets their attention. I never got mia to take things from my mouth until i was 100% confident and same with mia as well Smile

What I've learned so far B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Dec 17 2015, 20:33

sash is 11 now and i still cant keep her calm when people come round,its one of the things people love about her thou,they cant believe she's the age she is Laughing
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Dec 17 2015, 20:45

Liz has covered almost everything that I would advise. The 4 paws on the floor rule is key to stopping the jumping up but ensure everyone follows the same rule.

Stubbornness is a Staffy trait. Sometimes my girl will become the immovable rock when she wants to go home if it's raining and I have to confess that on those occasions I let her win but, and it's a big but, she is told that we are going walking if she decides she just doesn't fancy it. Again the key here is not to reward the behaviour you don't want but reward the good and this can be through fun or dangling that favourite Stick/Toy.

I can say that the no bed rule can be achieved, we have (although 5 mins in the morning doesn't count does it Blushing )

What I've learned so far B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down