dizzy
Rachel33
Kendra
9 posters

Go down

Question re: Staffy traits Empty Question re: Staffy traits

Post by Kendra Thu Nov 12 2015, 12:13

Hi Smile

Having joined up recently with a Staffy Lab X, I've many years of experience with Labs but this is my first Staffy.

She has some very obvious Lab traits, as well as general "dogness" Tongues

I do however wonder if the following things are mostly her being Staffy:

Farts and burps like a person - our Lab tends toward silent but deadly;
Flumps on the floor by stretching her legs out behind her like a frog - Lab never lays like this, ever;
Whines and yawns and generally makes chimp noises until she gets the thing she wants (usually food/company/to be let out) - Lab can chimp and whine but does tend to have a little more patience and will be quiet when asked;
Is incredibly intelligent in that she can problem solve - very impressed with this but she also keeps us on our toes - Lab is a clever cookie but has never tried to open doors using the handle, doesn't understand about reflection in mirrors etc;
She absolutely LOVES chocolate (we don't feed her it of course but some 'incidents' have occurred) - our Lab isn't even remotely interested in chocolate;
She likes to be as close to people as possible, getting grumpy when I'm upstairs for a while and she's down, she then will lie on the top step below the stairgate - Lab also loves people but is equally happy curled up downstairs;
She likes to be warm, seeking out sunbeams and places she can cuddle into blankets etc - Lab not too fussed in this respect;
She absolutely loves hugs and will actually come and hug you if she's been told off, as if she's saying sorry! - Lab likes fuss and being close but not hugs

I'm sure there's more but that's about it for now. I know all dogs are individual regardless of breed but our Lab certainly has some breed traits which is why I'm wondering about Staffy specific traits Smile
Kendra
Kendra
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily (Lab X), Indy (Lab)
Dog(s) Ages : Born May '12 & Aug '08
Dog Gender(s) : Lady-doglets
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Question re: Staffy traits Empty Re: Question re: Staffy traits

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 12 2015, 12:39

They all sound like my girl lol! Very much staffie traits Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 12 2015, 12:40

Sounds like you've got a fair bit of staffy in there! I'm not sure that chocoholic bit is a breed thing, but the rest sounds staffy through and through!

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu Nov 12 2015, 13:33

I agree. Definitely a lot of staffy, especially the constant funny noises,I'm sure my boy tries to talk human!
dizzy
dizzy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dodger
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Nov 12 2015, 14:45

I have a question for you! Axl does all of the things you put above, he's a black lab X staffie, on walks he will often plant his nose on the floor and walk along sniffing like he's following a trail is that a lab thing do you think? He will walk with his nose glued to the floor for ages sometimes making snuffling noises like a little pig lol I always wondered if that's the lab in him Smile
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Thu Nov 12 2015, 14:54

I was blessed to have our family Lab- Taurie- for 16 years and she was my best friend (RIP over the rainbox bridge darling). I see a lot of similarites and differences between her and Misty (my Staffy x Boxer)

Both could eat for England- you just couldnt feed Taurie enough to fill her up and Misty has never said no to anything!

Farts- Taurie very very rarely did- Misty can clear a room. Granted Misty was terrible when we got her but that was becasue she was on Bakers and now she is on a better quality food she is a lot better but she can still let rip!

People- Misty is so attached to hubby and me- she wil follow us anywhere and wouldnt dream of going to a room if one of us wasnt in there. Taurie loved people but also liked her own space now and again and would take herself off to a back room once in a while for a nap or just to be by herself. Misty would have nightmares about doing that!

Rain- Misty HATES the rain- she wont leave the house- even though she loves her walks once she sees the rain she heads indoors quite happily forfeiting her walk. It could be flooding with hailstones and Taurie would still have her lead in her mouth waiting to go for her walks.

Warmth- neither like being cold but Misty takes it to another level with her love of blankets. She has several fleece and wool lined ones around the house and on the bed and sofa and loves nothing more then getting curled up in them.

Whines and yawns and generally makes chimp noises until she gets the thing she wants (usually food/company/to be let out)- Ha ha- this is Misty -she is SO vocal, always talking to me and hubby and she has learnt crying gets her instant attention- hubby has taken to talking back to her now when she is making funny noises!! Taurie never did this.

Pulling- Even though Taurie had no training and wasnt walked until we got her at six months she was a dream on the lead. Anyone could of walked her, she never pulled and was lovely. Misty is wonderful as if ever my car breaks down she can pull it to the nearest garage.

Love Misty so much and all her funny quirky ways!

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Question re: Staffy traits B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendra Thu Nov 12 2015, 16:02

Debs01 wrote:I have a question for you! Axl does all of the things you put above, he's a black lab X staffie, on walks he will often plant his nose on the floor and walk along sniffing like he's following a trail is that a lab thing do you think? He will walk with his nose glued to the floor for ages sometimes making snuffling noises like a little pig lol I always wondered if that's the lab in him Smile
Yes, Labs do tend to automatically scent, as do other tracking/gundog breeds such as Spaniels, Beagles, Flatcoats etc. The snuffling noises are brilliant, my Lab seems convinced she can open doors by snorting loudly underneath them Laughing

Misty's Mum wrote:Rain- Misty HATES the rain- she wont leave the house- even though she loves her walks once she sees the rain she heads indoors quite happily forfeiting her walk. It could be flooding with hailstones and Taurie would still have her lead in her mouth waiting to go for her walks.
Oh yes, this too. Lily really REALLY hates the rain. Indy doesn't like the rain and does prefer to stay in, but Lily will actively go as far away from the exit door as possible when the weather is rubbish. If she absolutely has to go out for a wee or whatever, it's the shortest trip into the garden ever! Unlike when it's not raining, she could spend hours out there looking for food and small furry creatures. And yet Lily is happy to be blasted with the hosepipe (Indy is terrified of it) and I've had to extract her from the emptying bath on several occasions when she's sneaked into the bathroom and jumped into the bath Straight Face
Kendra
Kendra

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Nov 12 2015, 16:53

Lol Axl is deffo a staff when it comes to opening doors he just head butts them!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Nov 12 2015, 19:07

Yup you've pretty much described a Staffy. The frogs legs are pretty much unique to the breed I think. I was once told that if they lay like that then they are happy, content and relaxed Smile

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Angieeee Thu Nov 12 2015, 19:17

I luv the frog pose! Staffies are just perfect and this explains exactly why I luv them
Angieeee
Angieeee
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : 19 December 2014
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Nov 12 2015, 20:19

Sounds like You've got more staff than lab Laughing

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendra Fri Nov 13 2015, 14:38

Jenc wrote:Sounds like You've got more staff than lab Laughing
Laughing

No, she's definitely a halfy halfy!

Her size is bigger than an average female Staffy but smaller than an average female Lab. She's not as wide as a Staff and doesn't have the super wide grin. She's got more Lab-like ears than Staff and her coat has Lab "underfluff" (double coat) which is a massive pain in the arse especially come shedding time! I could make an entire other dog out of the fur I get from the pair of them!

She is very food orientated and can inhale a meal in mere seconds. She's very easy to treat train and does have similar ways of learning and doing that my Lab does. And she is very similar in both personality and quirks the way my previous (choc) Lab was, RIP!
Kendra
Kendra

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sat Nov 14 2015, 13:45

As i was reading this, Gizmo came up to me, burped in my face and is now lying flumped on the bed! flump is actually one of our nicknames for him, along with swamp-butt and hufflepuff.
Goblin
Goblin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content