Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy

3 posters

Go down

Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy Empty Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy

Post by Metermaid Wed Nov 07 2012, 23:14

Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum quite regularly in preparation for getting our staff pup. We've fallen in love with one we've recently viewed and are hopefully getting her in the next day or so but I have a question about the diet she's being given:

the breeder informed me that they've been feeding the puppies weetabix and milk with a bit of wagg dry food. I've read that it's best to stick to the diet the pups are used to until they are comfortable in their new home but is that nutritious enough for a 12 week old??

All advice is appreciated, thanks!

Metermaid
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 13 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : femaile
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy Empty Re: Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 23:21

Personally no it's not a good diet.

There is no need and nutrition from the weetabix and goats milk is ALOT better for them then cows milk.

I personally fasted them the day they came home and swapped diet in the morning however i feed RAW and that's an easier way to change the diet.

Are you want to feed dry food?

Back to top Go down

Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy Empty Re: Please help: Food question for 12 week old staffy

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 23:26

There are a lot on here who will be able to help you.. To me it doesn't sound enough at all, At 12 weeks my girl was having 3 meals a day.. Breakfast and Lunchtime would be a dry food and tea time was usually dry food with some raw chicken necks or chicken mince.. Sometimes she still had weetbix for breakfast with puppy milk ( never give them cows milk)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Nov 08 2012, 00:09

Are they for real? Dont want to sound rude and im no breeder but...weetabix which consists of the most frowned upon filler in dog foods.. Dogs are primary carnivore...even my two only need the veg found in fish stomaches to get there daily allowance of veg to put in perspective and they are neady dogs when it comes to food.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Herewegoagain!:) Thu Nov 08 2012, 00:51

I have looked in to this as our boy is about 11 weeks. Wagg is very poor quality

Budget is the next thing!

How much can you pay? Be warned there are some very expensive dog brands out there that are rubbish so paying more isn't always best.

There is a link on the site where someone looked at the ingredients and it was very shocking tbh.

In the end I went for sneyds puppy food . Very good protein. Decent price, £15 for 10kg.

Of course it's up to you but introduce and mix the new food over 6-10 days

I also give him chicken and tuna sometimes:)

Herewegoagain!:)
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Metermaid Thu Nov 08 2012, 09:25

thanks everyone, I had a feeling that was an inadequate diet. Not sure yet if we want to do BARF or carry on with a nutritionally sound dry food but I do know that whatever we go with I want to make sure it's meeting her needs.

If she is being underfed, what's the best way to increase her food without upsetting her stomach? We're picking her up tonight and want to make sure she gets a decent meal as soon as possible without causing her discomfort.

Metermaid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 09:35

Slowly, slowly Smile Personally I would take Ella's advice and not feed her anything tonight.. She will have had a lot of changes in a short time, being away from mum and siblings.. Ella and Caryl are the raw foodies around here (they really know their stuff) Laughing I'm sure they can advise you on how to start..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 10:03

Metermaid wrote:thanks everyone, I had a feeling that was an inadequate diet. Not sure yet if we want to do BARF or carry on with a nutritionally sound dry food but I do know that whatever we go with I want to make sure it's meeting her needs.

If she is being underfed, what's the best way to increase her food without upsetting her stomach? We're picking her up tonight and want to make sure she gets a decent meal as soon as possible without causing her discomfort.

If you want some info on feeding raw (not just BARF - there are different ways!) let us know & we'll point you in the right direction. This site's a good starter.... http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

Personally I wouldn't starve a 12 week old pup at any time unless there's a medical necessity (ie the runs or vet tests). However, I wouldn't feed weetabix! If your pup is used to something other than meat, then porridge is a better option than anything wheat based. If you do give him porridge, try to make it with goats milk & just one of the three daily meals.

By all means keep him on Wagg until you can sort something else out & then gradually change it over about a week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metermaid Thu Nov 08 2012, 14:12

thanks for the link caryll, if you have any more info on raw feeding I'm all ears!

Metermaid

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down