Spring pole??

4 posters

Go down

Spring pole?? Empty Spring pole??

Post by Pittboss Wed Jun 29 2011, 07:12

I just wanted some opinions on the use of the spring pole for the staffy.I have used them in the past but I want to make sure I don't make another mistake like the prong collar.
Blue is now coming up on 3 months old and in the past I started to allow my Amstaff to use it at this age.I set it up lower to start and gradually raised it as he got bigger and stronger.Blue loves tug of war like most staffies I assume and he wears me out before he is done so I'm thinking of setting one of these up.It is a great workout for a dog and will help him burn off some of his steam when we don't have a chance to let him free run.What do you all think?
Pittboss
Pittboss
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Spring pole?? Empty Re: Spring pole??

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 08:31

i will be interested in the replies as we are thinking of getting one for billy
they look good and as long as their back legs are on the ground they will be fine. looking for any negatives

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 08:34

I go on another staffie site from time to time & they seem to be highly recommended, not used one myself but Im tempted too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 08:35

yea they are ace for staffs, i no loads of people who use them, i think they are not to be used till about 12 months though so not to put pressure on growing joints etc.......x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:14

billys 1st birthday present
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:22

They are fantastic, an ever-lasting game of tug which doesn't tire you out - top marks!! Unfortunately we havn't got a garden so we cant have one but I will definately be investing when we eventually move.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:31

im going to put one up in the back yard when i get rounf to it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 11:27

I absolultey love these types of products. Either this or the old reliable motorbike tire on a rope hanging from a branch. This lets your dog pull until their hearts content, provides great exercise and gives them something constructive to do when they have that daily excess energy spasm. Sadly I have no tree and a very very small back yard so I am doing some research to look into an alternative set up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 12:28

I don't have one, but I'm told they're great for exercise & stimulation.

I seem to remember reading that they shouldn't be used before 12 months old, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 13:47

Caryll wrote:I don't have one, but I'm told they're great for exercise & stimulation.

I seem to remember reading that they shouldn't be used before 12 months old, though.

The two most important things in raising a high energy dog. I know alot of people that cheat on the twelve month rule though. If the device is lowered to where the dog doesn't have to jump and hang they can mature without additional health risks and still burn off energy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 13:50

jstaff wrote:
Caryll wrote:I don't have one, but I'm told they're great for exercise & stimulation.

The two most important things in raising a high energy dog. I know alot of people that cheat on the twelve month rule though. If the device is lowered to where the dog doesn't have to jump and hang they can mature without additional health risks and still burn off energy.

thats good to know, thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jun 29 2011, 15:59

Mmm the dog isnt meant to jump and hang really as it could strain itself, the ideal height is so the dog is stood on its rear legs with them just touching the floor. And they shouldn't really be used before 12 months due to the likleyhood of cruciate damage and other ligament and joint related problems, however many people do and if you put a rope on there which hangs all the way to the ground then your not making the dog stand up.

Jstaff - you can have one in a reasonably small yard. The way I am planning to make mine is with a bracket for a punch bag, then attach a bed spring and finally tie on a tuggy rope or something for the dog to hold onto. This way if you want to go into your garden and chill without the dog jumping all over you you can easily take the rope off.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 30 2011, 06:10

Jstaff - you can have one in a reasonably small yard. The way I am planning to make mine is with a bracket for a punch bag, then attach a bed spring and finally tie on a tuggy rope or something for the dog to hold onto. This way if you want to go into your garden and chill without the dog jumping all over you you can easily take the rope off.[/quote]

Thanks for that idea I believe that type of set up would work for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pittboss Thu Jun 30 2011, 07:54

jstaff wrote:

I understand the risk of injury to the dog if it is raised up too early and I will make sure that he is able to keep all 4 paws on the ground.From past experience with this the pup will tend to use little of the spring effect and play more tug of war with it.It does have to be used in a limited way though and it should be looked at as a workout session for the dog not an all the time toy.I know my amstaff in the past would work himself to injury if i let him and I'm betting the staffy is the same way.
I will post up some pics when i get it set up.In the meantime here is a vid of the proper setup for a young dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8ps8FmvuM

Here is a vid of a do it yourself setup for anyone interested.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPhwjGjia4&feature=related
Pittboss
Pittboss

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Fri Jul 01 2011, 09:07

I love the idea of this kind of toy but think it might also encourage Polly to hang off of my washing which she already tried to do if she thinks she can get away with it Sad
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by dkay72 Sat Jul 02 2011, 09:11

to save money i got an old inner tube of my bike and tied it to the washing line......then rocky pulled the whole of the washing line out the ground and we wer both in the dog house... moral of the story is ..... just buy the real thing lolololololololololololol or fix the washing line back together before the missis gets home Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
dkay72
dkay72

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : rocky
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content