Spring Pole/Flirt Pole

2 posters

Go down

Spring Pole/Flirt Pole Empty Spring Pole/Flirt Pole

Post by brutusindubai Mon Jun 10 2013, 09:12

I couldnt find a post I had put up earlier, so sorry for posting again.

Brutus is now 13 months and I am wantingto try and give hima little more exercise. We have kept it pretty straight forward to date, two 30-45 mins walk a day with a little agility work. Running through tunnels and in and out of poles etc. I was thinking of getting him on to a spring or flirt pole.

He loves a game of tug-of-war, and as such, we have taught him to drop on command so that we are always in control. What are the general thoughts on a spring pole and this changing his ability to not let go? Also, would a fixed spring at his head hieght with the tug rope be a good alternative instead of the traditional spring pole until he is a little older?

Finally, does anyone think that the use of a spring pole or flirt pole changes the dogs mentality. Possibly a hotly debated topic, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Spring Pole/Flirt Pole Empty Re: Spring Pole/Flirt Pole

Post by Andy Mon Jun 10 2013, 10:01

I think spring pole setups are brilliant as long as its only the dogs front legs off the floor obviously Wink ... I have set up loads of differant ones for Max, but he just wont play with it unless I'm there aswell shaking it doh ... he lose's interest with it otherwise Sad

Flirt poles are Max's thing, cus as much as his prey drive takes over, he just loves interaction bless him Love Struck

At 13mths, and already trained to release, I wouldnt worry too much about him hangin on, if he enjoys playing with a springpole by himself, and its a good safe setup, then leave him to it I say i dont know ... just keep on with the seperate release commands away from the sprinpole, but when he's on the pole leave him to enjoy it Big Grin
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Mon Jun 10 2013, 10:15

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have a design of your spring pole with approx heights that I could use?

Cheers.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 10 2013, 11:54

I didn't introduce a springpole to the boys until Harvey was 18 months but ours is indoors we don't have any room outside for it

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Jun 11 2013, 09:51

brutusindubai wrote:Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have a design of your spring pole with approx heights that I could use?

Cheers.

Soz mate missed this Blushing ... I dont have one up at the mo cus he isnt too bothered with them or I'd take a pic, but i'm lucky in that I have trees in the garden I can tie to Smile so no design's as such, cus I can literally tie some old climbing rope over a tree bow, with a lure on the end, and tad-daaaaaa!!

Using "dynamic" climbing rope (stretches), and flex in the tree, means I dont really need a spring as such, but I think Ella has a proper spring set up indoor (?)

As for height, you'll just need to give it a go, and make sure that he can only reach it with his front legs off the floor, he dosent have to be standing upright or anything to reach it, but once he's on it with his weight baring down, his front feet need to be a foot or so off the ground Wink

At first, dont just let him tire himself out on it, it'll be way too much for him!! ... short sessions, get his interest in it .. and hang it up after each session, so he dosent have access to it all the time Wink

Oh, and it must be strong!!! .. if you cant hang on to it bouncing up and down, then its not strong enough!! .. simples Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down