Recorded my dogs whilst we went out

4 posters

Go down

Recorded my dogs whilst we went out Empty Recorded my dogs whilst we went out

Post by Angiedoll84 Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:43

Friday we all went swimming so the dogs were alone for about two hours. They managed to make a mess but nothing serious. Cushions on the floor, rug moved, knocked over a couple of picture frames. They had been out just before we left. Today we decided to record them. Took them for an hour walk in a new place and then loaded them with chewy toys. Left the TV on. And filled the Kong's just as we left. On return my neighbour told me one of them or both of them barked the whole hour we were gone. It was interesting to watch both Roxy (1) and Tyler(3) sat with there Kong's for the first 15 minutes. The next 15 minutes Roxy constantly barked at Tyler, in a bid to get him to play. Tyler's very laid back and just wanted to chill out. He snapped once and for the rest of the time we were gone both just cuddled up on the sofa. I'm glad in a way because I was beginning to wonder if it was because she did like being left. This she needs a longer walk or an extra one on days were not in, see if I can tire her out more. However, nothing was knocked over or chewed and no accidents.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Tyler and Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : One of each
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Recorded my dogs whilst we went out Empty Re: Recorded my dogs whilst we went out

Post by Rachel33 Sun Aug 16 2015, 17:28

Hiya! Is there any way of leaving the dogs seperately when you're out? Just a little concerned that a snap may turn into something more if he gets frustrated, and he may want some peace? Even dogs that have lived together for years can still squabble over food/toys/treats also.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Recorded my dogs whilst we went out Empty Re: Recorded my dogs whilst we went out

Post by Angiedoll84 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:12

I have a feeling that would make them worse. When I say snap. It nothing more than him telling her to leave him alone. He simply turned his head and then returned to his lying down position. She took the hint and lay down too. I'm actually really pleased with the way it went. I just need exhaust that extra energy she has.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:47

You know your dogs Smile just concerned me a little is all. What about a flirt pole? Or perhaps a training session added to the walk to mentally stimulate, aswell as physically?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun Aug 16 2015, 20:57

Agree with Rach to separate them to be safe.  When she hits 18 months a backpack is great for helping get rid of extra energy.  Just go slow and I wouldn't add more than 15% of her body weight to prevent injury.  We use Suki's backpack in the winter all the time.  Also use it if we know she is going to be by herself for a long period of time.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Aug 16 2015, 21:53

Sounds like it was really useful recording what went on. Hard to tell for us that haven't seen it what the reaction was but as you say it was simply a snap to say "hey stop" then that bodes well.

I would think about mental stimulation to tire her out rather than an extra walk as this could become part of a routine that she then expects and you know how Staffies are with routine Rolling Eyes

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Recorded my dogs whilst we went out B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Angiedoll84 Sun Aug 16 2015, 23:26

Yeah it was just like a 'hey stop' as mentioned above he didn't even move his body just turned his head. I like like the flirt pole. I.ve watched some videos and think this is something my son and partner could do with them. Partner has end stage renal failure with a left arm fistula so only has use of one arm. Yes I could do without the extra walk.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Aug 18 2015, 22:03

Bug loves the flirt pole! Just make sure a strong "leave it" command is in place, and don't let tensions run too high. Stop and have a break if things are getting OTT.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angiedoll84 Tue Aug 18 2015, 22:08

I made one this evening. Not had chance to introduce it to the pups yet.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down