Jumping on people whilst off the lead.

+4
Rupertsbooks
Sazzle
Maria90
Pollyanna
8 posters

Go down

Jumping on people whilst off the lead. Empty Jumping on people whilst off the lead.

Post by Pollyanna Sat Aug 24 2013, 11:18

Does anyone have any tips on this - Lily has developed a habit of jumping on people whilst we are in the park or woods. She loves people and the problem is that people often greet her and therefore reinforce this bad behaviour so she does it all the time now. Her recall is good but not when she is locked onto someone she can jump on and I usual have to shout a warning. If I am nearby I can correct this but its difficult from a distance as she just ignores me and carries on. The woods nearby are a dog walkers paradise so 9 times out of 10 people don't object but I have had some verbal abuse about dog control and who can blame them - I am conscious of the fact she is a staff too, although a very small one. Sad 
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Jumping on people whilst off the lead. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Jumping on people whilst off the lead. Empty Re: Jumping on people whilst off the lead.

Post by Maria90 Sat Aug 24 2013, 11:23

I would suggest investing in a very long training lead, you can use it when you know people will be about, so if anything you can just reign her in to prevent the confrontation and jumping Smile
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Jumping on people whilst off the lead. Empty Re: Jumping on people whilst off the lead.

Post by Sazzle Sat Aug 24 2013, 12:19

Yes I would keep her on a long training line until you can stop her doing this Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Aug 24 2013, 12:21

Like this, they come in various lengths Smile 

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/360211572238?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&lpid=63&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63&ff19=0

Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 24 2013, 22:19

Great advice, training lead is a fab solution to this. Vin is very good and doesn't jump he just runs up and circles them then follows me!Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 24 2013, 22:40

definitely a training line amazing how quickly these people can go off her once she pounces on them Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Sun Aug 25 2013, 17:22

Training lead ordered! Big Grin 
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon Aug 26 2013, 21:43

I have the same problem. R went through a phase of jumping up on joggers when they had their iPods on. One of them screamed once - I was very embarrassed.

He is much better now and only does it v occasionally to the owners of other dogs - he is much more interested in people than dogs much of the time and can't wait to say hello. However he weighs a lot and he can look scary. It is worth teaching him to sit and wait to be spoken to before he greets a person. I practice this by getting friends to come to our door and ignore him when he jumps up. He is very impulsive and also over the moon if anyone comes to visit which makes it hard for him to control himself. But even if I think it's quite sweet some of the time, I realise that it is overwhelming if not frightening for some other people.

Good luck. I would really like to hear your progress.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 26 2013, 22:38

Funnily enough I may have cracked it. I put some pebbles in an empty water bottle and I let her off the lead. When she ran towards the first person I shook the bottle hard and said no, she stopped dead in her tracks so I called her back to me in a happy way and gave her a reward. She tried it again and I repeated this, by the time the fourth person passed she just looked at them and I called her back and she came for her reward. This was the first day - hope she remembers tomorrow. I was so pleased with her, hope it lasts.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Aug 26 2013, 22:40

Glad it's getting better Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ruthlouisen Mon Jun 08 2015, 20:24

Hi, did the bottle with bricks cure the jumping up?
I'm wondering if you can help. I have a 1 year old staffie who is generally very well behaved. She can do most commands sit, stay, lie down, drop etc. We are having a problem with jumping up people, this doesn't happen in the house but more in the park. She is obsessed with other dogs and humans and will bolt to play given any chance, she does come back when she realises I'm not there...but this has become an issue as she can jump so high and has headbutted people trying to give kisses. I want to be able to be in control when she's off the lead.

ruthlouisen
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Tue Jun 09 2015, 16:59

Pollyanna wrote:Funnily enough I may have cracked it.  I put some pebbles in an empty water bottle and I let her off the lead.  When she ran towards the first person I shook the bottle hard and said no, she stopped dead in her tracks so I called her back to me in a happy way and gave her a reward.  She tried it again and I repeated this, by the time the fourth person passed she just looked at them and I called her back and she came for her reward.  This was the first day - hope she remembers tomorrow.  I was so pleased with her, hope it lasts.  

What a great idea - going to try that one Smile
Niffer
Niffer

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessTinkerbella Sat Jun 27 2015, 09:10

How does the shaking the bottle thing fair when they are quite far away though?
Also does anyone have any tips for how to carry the training line? When it's all rolled up it's quite cumbersome and doesn't fit in my bumbag full of treats, doggy bags phone, keys etc. I am starting to feel like I need a rucksack to go dog walking which seems a bit silly lol Smile
PrincessTinkerbella
PrincessTinkerbella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tink
Dog(s) Ages : 14 months
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Jun 27 2015, 12:19

I would tie the training lead round your waist Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Jumping on people whilst off the lead. B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down