13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble

3 posters

Go down

13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble Empty 13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble

Post by lucypup Mon Oct 04 2010, 11:01

Hi,

Our staffie is very friendly Smile Two questions regarding biting/nibbling:

1. If she licks my face,ears she has somtimes nipped my lip which caused it to bleed, she applies the same pressure to my ears. She is only playing and this happens when I see her first time in the day so she is over excited to see me. Any suggestions?

2. She loves teething/biting my arms / hands and leaves pressure marks from her teeth. I have started saying "
owww" when she exerts pressure. Any suggestions

lucypup
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble Empty Re: 13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble

Post by Guest Mon Oct 04 2010, 11:11

With both, you'll need to be quite firm with her. I know she's only playing, but have you seen the size of an adult stafford's teeth? If she gets used to you allowing it, it'll REALLY hurt when she's bigger! Big Grin

What you could do, is when she nips/nibbles say "No!" in a deep but calm voice and push her away gently. Try to stay calm so that she doesn't think it's all part of the game! If she carries on, then make sure she's put firmly on the ground & turn away from her - totally ignore her. Staffords hate to be ignored & she'll soon get used to the fact that if she bites/nibbles she doesn't get attention.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble Empty Re: 13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble

Post by janey Mon Oct 04 2010, 13:00

Couldn't have out that better myself!! Totally agree.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 04 2010, 14:03

as said above in the last two posts, but also dont let her play by mouthing your arm as these little trates need to be sorted out sooner rather than later, you could also give her a minute to calm down when she see you so she not so excited, and you will have more chance of only getting a lovely kiss without the nipping, and when she gets the kissing down nice give her loads of praise, and if she does nip put her down and ignore she will soon catch on

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Thu Oct 07 2010, 02:11

I had the same problem with my boy(still does it at times)i do the Ow in a high pitched voice(i got a book on dog behaviour and it says that's what to do as it's what happens when they play as a puppy.
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
13 Week old puppy/teething - Lick turns to nibble Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07 2010, 09:44

HazelJ wrote:I do the Ow in a high pitched voice(i got a book on dog behaviour and it says that's what to do as it's what happens when they play as a puppy.

Hm, that's never ever worked for me with any of my dogs, I've always found that it gets them more excitable! I find the low, long "No!" works far better - it also seems to reinforce the 'pack leader' thing, rather than the 'ow' which would be heard from a sibling, and would therefore only be of use at that particular moment - not as a deterrent for future nipping/mouthing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down