janey
Cultivator
6 posters

Go down

Puppy crying at night Empty Puppy crying at night

Post by Cultivator Thu Jun 23 2011, 09:53

My puppy is 10 weeks old, his name is Mace

I've had him 3 days

At night he keep crying. I want him to sleep on his own when he's older so I guess it's best to do it from day one? When he's tired and just going to sleep he don't mind being left, it's just when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

Last night was the first night in his crate, a few times he cried and I left him, he settled down but was awake a few hours later. If left in just the room he will cry as much as being in the crate.

My girlfriend is getting annoyed because he's keeping us awake at night. I try to ignore him but at times he gets so distressed and it's hard to ignore him

He has a few blankets that he likes, a few toys in the crate but still crys

What can I do?

Cultivator
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy crying at night Empty Re: Puppy crying at night

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 09:54

this happened, to billy our dog, we put and old t-shirt in there at night so it smelled of one of us, and ignored the crys. It was hard, it did not last that long a few nights and then heavenly peace. It will stop eventually

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 23 2011, 10:07

At 10 weeks its going to be expected, you've only had him 3 days. He will settle down and settle in. As Lynne said try putting a t-shirt in, also have you tried covering the crate? Honestly its a huge upheaval for Mace, he'll settle Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Cultivator Thu Jun 23 2011, 10:08

Thanks for your reply

I do put a T Shirt of mine in there but it makes no difference

I let him out a few times in the night, when I do this I ignore him, dint greet him till the morning

Guess we will have to put up with it, I don't mind it because I understand why he's doing it but my girlfriends not happy

I will update his progress

Cultivator

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 10:13

please do keep us informed, and it will pass

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 23 2011, 10:14

Buy the OH some earplugs Wink
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jun 23 2011, 11:21

You are doing the best thing that you can, eventually he will realise that no matter how much he crys and screams hes not going to get everyone up. He will also learn to relx in his own company which is good for when you want to go out as he gets older.

As well as a t-shirt with your scent you can put a ticking clock beside the crate (not in it cuz he might chew it) to simulate his mothers heartbeat. You can also put a hot water bottle with warm (not hot as he could bite it) water in it to settle him down an for him to cuddle. I find when I go out the tv or radio left on quietly can make them feel less alone.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:19

Basicly the answer is as already been said by other, ignore it. Dont go to check they are ok, dont give in.

Maybe a little treat as they go bed so they realise when you leave them its not so bad (But I really do mean little, dont want to encourage any accidents) and the idea of leaving your sent there is also a good one.

"I find when I go out the tv or radio left on quietly can make them feel less alone."

This works great to, we still leave the radio on now for molly, just quiet on a relaxing channel, no dub step or hardcore lol.

Last edited by johneva on Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:55; edited 1 time in total
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:27

He's so very young & missing his siblings & mum! Of course he will cry, he's confused & a little scared. But he will get used to it and you will replace his siblings soon so that he'll feel safe on his own, but it may take another 2 or 3 nights.

Cultivator wrote:
I let him out a few times in the night, when I do this I ignore him, dint greet him till the morning

That's where you're going wrong. By all means get up once during the night as it would be hard for a young pup to hold on too long, but just make it once only.

janey wrote:Buy the OH some earplugs Wink

Joking aside, the foam earplugs are a useful tool! I use them for the first few nights of any pup. It doesn't bother my husband when they cry so he hears the alarm & wakes me up. They really do work & are reasonably comfortable!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:50

johneva wrote:Basicly the answer is as already been said by other, ignore it. Dont go to check they are ok, dont give in.

Maybe a little treat as they go bed so they realise when you leave them its not so bad (But I really do mean little, no want to encourage any accidents) and the idea of leaving your sent there is also a good one.

"I find when I go out the tv or radio left on quietly can make them feel less alone."

This works great to, we still leave the radio on now for molly, just quiet on a relaxing channel, no dub step or hardcore lol.

I agree as well. I also like to add they are not used to being alone. Previously they had their siblings or parents with them. They whine and cry out to get attention and when you go to them you are telling them that if they whine you will come which makes them do it more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Thu Jun 23 2011, 23:15

I dont know your home layout but my Kayla is 10 weeks tomorrow (we had her from 8 weeks). She was the same, our break through was by not shutting the door.

Because the doors were left open she could hear me moving (and probably snoreing) in the night and this is enough to make her sleep all the night through.
Skimsa
Skimsa
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Kayla
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Fri Jun 24 2011, 07:33

When we brought bruno he was 7 weeks 2 days, first night was horrible and i did give in and slept downstairs, second night we gave him a t-shirt with my scent on,a teddy and left the radio low but enough for him to hear and he was fine Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 07:37

the first few nights we had Winston he woke in the middle of the night howling... he wanted to go to the loo. Now he sleeps through the night, but we always leave the radio on for him, he has some soft snuggly toys to cuddle into to make up for the lack of his brothers and sisters, and also cover most of the crate so it is like a little cave.. that helps too. You are doing the right thing.. when Winston carries on we ignore him.. yes it is hard, but they soon learn it won't get them anywhere, so they shut up ! Remind your girlfriend your puppy is only a little baby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cultivator Sat Jun 25 2011, 09:45

Thanks for your help everyone

Hes getting alot better every night, last night he only cried for 15 mins then stopped

Will let you know how he gets on tonight

Cultivator

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down