Teaching him to go toilet?

4 posters

Go down

Teaching him to go toilet? Empty Teaching him to go toilet?

Post by chod Wed Jun 22 2011, 13:28

weve just moved into a property which has a big outdoor balcony but he just wont go toilet out there, he hardly eva goes on concrete prefers grass anyway, but to take him out to the toilet ive got to go right round the corner a bit of a distance just to take him there, so i dont know how to teach him to go out on balcony, ive opened the french doors and said toilet boy a few times which he understand from where i previous lived and he still dont go, ive got an idea i will try today which is to take him toilet pick up his poo bring it back and put it in corner of balcony then he mite think that its ok to go out there then, whats other people's thoughts on this, and my idea of putting his poo on balcony? thanks

Last edited by chod on Wed Jun 22 2011, 13:53; edited 1 time in total
chod
chod
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Teaching him to go toilet? Empty Re: Teaching him to go toilet?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 13:38

Ah brings back memories. I had an English Bulldog that was used to a big backyard with grass to do her business. When I moved to 'korea there wasn't alot of grass. I took a rag and soaked up some urine and placed it on a wee pad located next to the door. When she would sniff alot and go to the pad I would open the door. It took a couple of weeks but nature took it course and we were fine after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by chod Wed Jun 22 2011, 13:52

you mean in her urine, i dont really want to be smelling that as our living room is next door to the other room where balcony is, i just dont want him getting used to me taking him out to go toilet cuz it will be even harder to teach him the more he gets used to me taking him out
chod
chod

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 22 2011, 14:02

For number twos I have to take Moo out everytime, she'll only go on grass, but I have a paved area outside my door which she will have a wee on. I just use a trigger word which she has learnt and she'll go. Took a few months and sometimes even now she paces up and down until she'll evetually go but it was just patient training and re-literating her and she learnt. I think if you stick with he should learn, if not trips round the corner for you Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 14:12

For me it depends on how the dog was originately toilet trained. If you used wee pads first it is usually easier as you can just show the dog the pad in the new house. If the dog is used to primarily going outside on the grass it gets a bit harder. My deceased dog had 6 houses in three countries in 9 years. She was used to having grass when she was a puppy. When I moved to Asia there wasn't alot of grass for her to go on. The urine on the wee pad next to the door worked for me. While not next to ideal I found it the quickest way to get her adjusted to her new surroundings.

Back to top Go down

Post by chod Wed Jun 22 2011, 14:24

he is used to grass, when i take him for a walk he never goes on concrete and thats what the balcony is so im going to struggle to get him going out on the balcony then unless i gets some grass out there lol
chod
chod

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 14:29

Jstaff's idea about soaking a rag in his urine and putting it where you want him to go is a good one. Dog's urine has such a distinctive smell to them and it should make him want to go if he can smell it. I know you don't want to be near he smell, but it shouldn't take too long and if it works, it'll be worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 14:36

Yep nasty for a week or so. I went through it as a bachelor around the same age. It usually only takes a week or so it is worth it for the peace of mind ot will bring you.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Thu Jun 23 2011, 11:55

"ive got an idea i will try today which is to take him toilet pick up his poo bring it back and put it in corner of balcony then he mite think that its ok to go out there then"

Do this, dogs are much more likely to go toilet if they can smelt thats where they been before, exactly why when your toilet training its so important to clean it up properly if there is an accident, otherwise they will keep doing it as the sent is already there.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:21

What about getting a large seed tray, filling it with compost & growing some grass on it? Then that could go out on the balcony & he might feel more inclined to go out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:55

Living in Japan I will buy a few squares of grass and set them outside since I don't have a yard. . This lets the dog go on the grass where it is more natural. I have to replace the grass a few times a year because it wont grow over concrete but it is well worth it so I don't have to walk Suki for her to use the bathroom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndon 75 Thu Jun 23 2011, 13:30

Try a piece of Astro Turf in the corner
Lyndon 75
Lyndon 75
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down