what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice

+3
Bane
goldie87
ronnieroghan
7 posters

Go down

what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice  Empty what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice

Post by ronnieroghan Tue Nov 25 2014, 18:55

this is such a open question as you will all say diffrent. ive tried my 11 month old blue staff on various dry foods etc and dont seem to fussed or enjoy i got a new 8 week year old blue staff sunday and the breeder said he feeds all his on mince and rice , so ive been doing that with both my dogs and they seem to love it , does anyone else use mince and rice

ronnieroghan
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : ronnie + rohgan
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months and 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice  Empty Re: what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice

Post by goldie87 Tue Dec 02 2014, 10:25

Hi mate, only thing with feeding just mince and rice is that i'd be afraid that my dog would be missing vital vitamins/nutrients from a complete dog food. Mince and rice won't give everything they need.

I also tried atleast 10 different dry foods with Zeus, from mid range (JWB, Wainwrights etc) to premium brand food (Orijen, Acana) but Zeus just didn't sit right with none of it.

I've now got him on raw (Nature's Menu Venison & Blueberry) and he's thriving on it. It's not as scary as I first thought, I simply take out 23/24 cubes of his food the night before, whack it in the fridge to defrost overnight and feed the next morning. He's been thriving on it.

Only thing I would say however, is that it is expensive compared to dry food. Choice is yours, really!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice  Empty Re: what food so many breeders say diffrent and pet shops im feeding mine on mince and rice

Post by Bane Tue Dec 02 2014, 22:13

As above we feed raw and Bane is doing so well on it.

At the end of the day it is down to what your dog does best on and what fits with your lifestyle. If you have time to cook mince and rice everyday for them and they enjoy it/are in good shape then carry on. It may be worth just researching a little into it though to make sure they are getting everything they need. If not there are plenty of supplements and bits you can add if needed Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Fri Dec 05 2014, 11:19

Goodie can I ask where do you buy natures menu? 
I find it only in one pet shop would love to order in bulk for good price. Thanks
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Dec 05 2014, 14:42

peppa wrote:Goodie can I ask where do you buy natures menu? 
I find it only in one pet shop would love to order in bulk for good price. Thanks

Hi Lily, I normally purchase it directly from the Nature's Menu website.. if you order enough (I think its around £50 or more) you get free delivery from the Nature's Menu van. They only deliver on Wednesdays, however, so you have to make sure someones in to accept the delivery.

There are times where I can't be at home to accept the delivery, in this case, I either go to Pets at Home who stock them, and also Just4Pets near where I am which stock them.

I had to buy a second freezer for Zeus's food, just because its cheaper and less hassle if I buy in bulk.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Fri Dec 05 2014, 16:12

Thanks for that goldie.
I'm looking around and find frozen line by berriewoods has anybody tried that?
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Sun Dec 07 2014, 20:47

peppa wrote:Goodie can I ask where do you buy natures menu? 

Amazon gives discounts of up to 15% for bulk, plus free deliveries. It saves me about £20 a month compared to other stores. It's a funny system, though, because for the full discount you need to order 5 items per month. For mine an item is 6 tins so I just order 5 lots of 6, but for some reason neither Amazon nor I understand if I order 5 units of the same item I don't get the full discount. Sounds complex but as long as you bear in mind to make separate orders it works out OK.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Sun Dec 07 2014, 21:56

dogface do you mean that you have to order 5 units but not of the same thing??
i went to pet shop yesterday and bought nature diet frozen mince (tripe,chicken,beef and rabbit) 395g for 95p each for few days ive given it to her before but not as main food so far so good ill keep it for few weeks and try amazon tomorrow or might risk it and order the same from berriewoods and let you know how it goes for sure the ridicuiless amounts of poo she had are a thing of the past. but her favourite of the day was fruity and veg salad. shes a fruitcake!
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Mon Dec 08 2014, 13:42

peppa wrote:dogface do you mean that you have to order 5 units but not of the same thing??

It's a bit complex to explain and when I told Amazon how it actually worked (as opposed to how they thought it worked) even they were surprised! But I'll give it a go...

Say you want to add a six-pack of tins (say Beef flavour) to your Subscription. The default Quantity is 1 and the default period is every month. In this case you get 5% discount because you've only got one item delivered (the six-pack) once a month.

In order to get 15% discount you need to have 5 or more items delivered every month. And here's where their system doesn't work properly...

You'd expect that if you set Quantity to 5, so that you're getting 5 x six-packs delivered every month, that you'd now get the full 15% discount, but you don't. You only get 5%.

The way around this is to add the item five times to your Subscription using Quantity 1 each time. You don't need to choose a different flavour or item, just add the same one five times. Now you get your 15% discount.

Figure that one out, but it works!
Dogface
Dogface

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinW Wed Dec 10 2014, 08:38

Brown rice is supposed to be the best for nutrients. White rice is pretty poor for us humans as well.
ColinW
ColinW

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Iza
Dog(s) Ages : 1.8 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 633

Back to top Go down

Post by Cait Wed Dec 10 2014, 08:56

The raw diet, when well balanced,works for most but be aware it does not suit every dog.

I found that out the hard way with Pink. I was keen to find a diet that would not irritate her skin. Pink is a white dog with a tendancy to react to all sorts of things. I heard good things about raw feeding from friends with dogs so gave it a try. Previus dogs my family have had love it. I introduced raw food slowly asshe was used to Pedigree tins but it plain upset her stomach both ends. I offered her good raw bones only to have to take her to the vet they made her so ill.

I had visions of having to make my own dog food from scratch as she would not consider trying even good kibbles. I found she coped with Natures Diet cooked dog food *hurrah* and some Tescos Value Dog Mixer, she prefers bit of crunch in her food and is less keen on Natures Diet without them asits a soft food.

Cait
Cait
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Pink
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Dec 10 2014, 09:53

If you're looking for Nature's Menu frozen raw food on Amazon, there's only one seller and it's extortionate - £52.98 for 10kg/10bags - works out at £5.29 a 1kg bag, whereas I pay between £3.10 to £3.45 a bag, depending on where I buy it from.

For dry food, yeah Amazon is probably cheaper but not for frozen raw.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Wed Dec 10 2014, 13:44

goldie87 wrote:If you're looking for Nature's Menu frozen raw food on Amazon, there's only one seller and it's extortionate - £52.98 for 10kg/10bags - works out at £5.29 a 1kg bag, whereas I pay between £3.10 to £3.45 a bag, depending on where I buy it from.

For dry food, yeah Amazon is probably cheaper but not for frozen raw.

Yeah, you need to watch the prices for sellers on Amazon, half of them are lunatics and seem to set their prices at random. You can only get the bulk discount from Amazon direct and I've found these are the cheapest, but always check other sites when dealing with marketplace sellers.
Dogface
Dogface

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:27

Dogface wrote:Yeah, you need to watch the prices for sellers on Amazon, half of them are lunatics and seem to set their prices at random. You can only get the bulk discount from Amazon direct and I've found these are the cheapest, but always check other sites when dealing with marketplace sellers.

Good advice.. and always look for promotional offer codes online, there's always one swinging about for the odd website and can save you anything between 5-20%, well worth the half an hour you spend looking for them!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down