Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.

+2
gillybrent
M.POPPINS
6 posters

Go down

ears - Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.  Empty Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.

Post by M.POPPINS Wed Nov 12 2014, 15:28

We have recently taken over a rescue Blue staffie. 2 years old, think the main reason for her existence was to be bred, one litter before we got her, she has now been spayed.
She is an absolute delight but seems to have developed a rash of dry, scaly, flakey spots around her neck, scruff and top of her back. I've read that this appears to be an issue for Staffies and would like some advice re the best natural treatment we could try before resorting to medication.
Also, to prevent damage to her home! the person who had her before trained her not to play with toys, preventing her from chewing and playing with any toys. Suggestions as to how we can get her to play with balls and Kong etc. as I know Staffies love to play.

Nothing has worked so far and we want her to enjoy her play and freedom.
Thanks for all suggestions and advice.

M.POPPINS
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

ears - Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.  Empty Re: Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.

Post by gillybrent Wed Nov 12 2014, 16:16

I don't know about the toys, but re: the rash, get some coconut oil & rub a little into her skin. also, add half a teaspoon of coconut oil to her food every day.

I think blues suffer from more skin problems than other colours, but I don't know the reason - someone else will be able to tell you I'm sure.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

ears - Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.  Empty Re: Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 12 2014, 17:16

Yes, blues can suffer from more skin conditions than other colours especially if the pups have been bred from 2 blue parents.

Hopefully you will find the links below helpful:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/inherited_diseases

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_buy_a_dilution_colour_dog
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarapayne Thu Dec 04 2014, 17:42

hi i have 10 month old blue staff she has skin condition to. i find babe bum cream helps the most.
tamarapayne
tamarapayne
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sapphire
Dog(s) Ages : 7months
Dog Gender(s) : f
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Thu Dec 04 2014, 18:15

Maybe she's sensitive to something in the food( grain,additive etc.) what are you feeding her? Have you changed her food?
It's true blues do suffer more skin conditions.
Keep trying throwing balls it might activate her chase instinct maybe try feeling ball or kong with treats she likes and then throw it I never had this problem I have the opposite one : ball obsessed little nutter.
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Thu Dec 04 2014, 18:44

Peppa is right could well be the diet, I have had same probs wiyh Vinnie for years. He is now on grain free diet and has an oil called Viacutan Plus on his food. Sudacream and coconut oil are very good. The toys you will have to gently encourage her and treat her ie if she catches the ball.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

ears - Blue Staffie has spots/rash around neck and ears.  B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down