stella
Rachel33
Rach-256
8 posters

Go down

Collar and lead vs harness Empty Collar and lead vs harness

Post by Rach-256 Mon Oct 20 2014, 10:42

Hi I have a 3 month old staffy boy and was wondering what was best
He pulls loads on his collar to the point of choking so we brought a harness but I've been told by the puppy trainer a harness could make it worse any advise would be good thanks Rachel and Ralph
Rach-256
Rach-256
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 14/7/14
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Collar and lead vs harness Empty Re: Collar and lead vs harness

Post by Rachel33 Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:07

Training! A collar or harness won't train your dog not to pull - it will just keep them secure. A harness can make it easier for your dog to pull as it distributes the weight more comfortably for them. I trained my dog not to pull using the "sit-heel" method which worked well. My dog was an adult when I adopted her and very fear-aggressive and so I used a halti (head collar). However, I don't think that would be needed at this age.

Some people will recommend just using a flat collar - I use a padded harness and padded collar with a double ended lead attached to both - again because she's fearful/reactive and I need to be sure that she can't break loose. I also exercise her on a 50ft long line in the fields so need that to be attached to a collar. Works for us Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:33

he is still very young so as rach said training is the key,when we has learnt to sit,every time he starts to pull stop walking and get him to sit,then start your walk again and keep repeating,does make walking a long progress but i'm sure he will soon get it
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Rach-256 Mon Oct 20 2014, 12:03

Thanks will try the sit thing in our next walk
Rach-256
Rach-256

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 14/7/14
Dog Gender(s) : Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Oct 20 2014, 12:07

like i say does take time,make sure you give lots of praise and the odd treat too Big Grin
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Oct 20 2014, 18:03

All good advice above. I use a harness simply because my Flo can slip out of a collar. I also found that by having a slack lead, she stopped pulling. I'm sure it's not the same for all dogs and ours was older when we got her. As he's so young I would agree that the stop sit treat method is the way forward for now.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Collar and lead vs harness B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Nalabala Wed Oct 22 2014, 04:25

We started our dog with a halti harness which clips onto the collar ad then you clip the lead from underneath rather than the top like most. The idea is that it discourages pulling as it's underneath and also makes it easier to steer them to walk in your direction with a very small tug encouraging their bodies to follow it. That with a treat now and then whilst walking next to you or when you catch them looking up at you, worked wonders.
We use a normal harness now and 'Easy' (like other posters have said, heel etc) if she pulls up ahead. If she doesn't walk back to us or slow down I walk up to her keeping the lead taught then once I reach her and she looks up, say ok as queue to keep walking.
Nalabala
Nalabala
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Wed Oct 22 2014, 15:01

I used the above method of training, whilst walking so far then stop sit and treat. I now prefer lead or gentle leader as would rather be in control of the mouth part Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Collar and lead vs harness B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by davet88 Wed Oct 22 2014, 20:48

I have been training hugo for the last 5/6 weeks to walk alongside side me without pulling. He has been brilliant the last few weeks and theres been no pulling at all.

He originally used to wear a harness and his pulling was ridiculous. I firstly switched to a short lead so I could control him better. I then changed him to a half choke collar and I fitted it high up his neck just behind his ears. This way you have a lot of control and you direct and control the walk. If he started to pull off or start sniffing a short tug of the lead across myself to throw his head to one side would correct him and he would carry on walking. Its meant to throw the dog off balance and gives him something to think about which in turn snaps him out of the pulling.

I have also used the sit technique when he starts to pull and he also gets treats as rewards when he does well. I also make him sit every time I cross the road which he is doing naturally now without me telling him. I learned to make sure he is also calm before the walk begins. I Used to get his leader out and he would go mad running on furniture and basically out of control. Now if I get his leader out and he acts like this I sit down and put the telly on and completely ignore him. At first it took maybes 20 30 mins for him to settle. Now it takes a minute or two maximum which I'm over the moon with in such a short space of time. Once he is settled and the lead goes on he is made to sit at the front door and I leave the house first then I turn round and invite him out. I do the same method when I return from the walk. It takes a lot of time and patience and at points I felt like pulling my hair out. Its worth it in the end though as the walks are much more enjoyable now for him and me. Good luck Smile

davet88
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Hugo and Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 13 month and 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Dog and Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Oct 22 2014, 22:01

Rachel33 wrote:Training! A collar or harness won't train your dog not to pull - it will just keep them secure. A harness can make it easier for your dog to pull as it distributes the weight more comfortably for them. I trained my dog not to pull using the "sit-heel" method which worked well. My dog was an adult when I adopted her and very fear-aggressive and so I used a halti (head collar). However, I don't think that would be needed at this age.

Some people will recommend just using a flat collar - I use a padded harness and padded collar with a double ended lead attached to both - again because she's fearful/reactive and I need to be sure that she can't break loose. I also exercise her on a 50ft long line in the fields so need that to be attached to a collar. Works for us Smile

Very similar to what we do
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859