aggression

2 posters

Go down

aggression  Empty aggression

Post by Crutchlow79 Thu Oct 09 2014, 22:21

Nel has been to a dog sitters past 2 days. The house sitter has a 10 year old alsation called bell and the first time I took nel there for a few hours to meet bell and the sitters family nel.was happy and played nicely and all was well.

So yesterday and today nel has been there without me and I have seen for myself that nel is aggressive towards the alsation every time she bell came near me or the sitter nel would jump in between us and growl.and bark and I had to physically hold her back at one point. We habe decided for the safety of both dogs that nel will not be returning next week but I am seriously confused and upset because when we are out in the park and arboretum where I live nel plays with all shapes and sizes of dogs bo problem ever a bark or a growl from her in fact quite the opposite she rolls over and shows her belly. Really don't know whats going on as when I got her home tonight she was as good as gold did as she was told and even took herself off to her own bed when she was tired. And advice would be appreciated

Crutchlow79
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : nel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

aggression  Empty Re: aggression

Post by Debs01 Fri Oct 10 2014, 10:30

Just a couple of questions Big Grin

Is Nel ducking down, hopping around when she jumps between you or is she low, ears back and snarling? Reason I ask is sometimes Staffies can be very vocal when they want to play, it may be that Nel wants to play with the Bell.

Did you introduce Nel to Bell on neutral ground before taking Nel into the house? If not, I'd suggest walking them together in a park on-lead, just side by side not off lead playing and do this a few times to get them used to each other. Sometimes throwing two dogs together in an enclosed space (in this instance the home) can be asking for trouble.

Also, were there toys or bones on the floor between Nel and Bell? She could have been guarding something on the floor. I would suggest not leaving any kind of bone, treat or toy on the floor to stop squabbles. It's not unsual for a normally placid dog to go nuclear over something they consider is theres. Which brings me onto my last point.

Maybe when you walk them out together you should swap leads, so you take Bell's lead and your dogsitter take Nel's. It might be a red herrin but maybe she's considering you "hers" and guarding you as she would a bone.

All food for thought but don't give up yet, I think the problem was that these dogs were thrown together after just one or two meetings when really they need more time to adjust to each other. With a few on-lead walks and a little bit of time they should accept each other, or Nel should accept Bell Smile
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down