Good quality dried dog food in Australia

4 posters

Go down

Good quality dried dog food in Australia Empty Good quality dried dog food in Australia

Post by cowboydave Thu Jun 16 2011, 00:27

Hi all just wanting to see if any one has any thoughts on a good well balanced dry food for puppies and or dogs. I am feeding Stanley one at the minute that seems to be pretty good just not sure if it is a complete balanced one, I cannot remember the brand at wits end name but it is the one that Chris Brown the Bondi vet puts his mug on.

Any thoughts would be great, just want my puppy to get the most out of his food now while he is still in the growing stages. Also have been thinking about going onto BARF food has any body tried this stuff here in Australia? I was told it is really good for them and also well portioned and cost effective. I currently feed Stanley raw meat or mince with some vegies in the moring and in the evening and then some dried food for the day if he is a bit hungry. And I only feed him quality human grade meat being Chicken, Pork, Beef and some Kangaroo.

Thanks heaps peace sign
cowboydave
cowboydave
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Good quality dried dog food in Australia Empty Re: Good quality dried dog food in Australia

Post by rascal_dog Thu Jun 16 2011, 15:54

We've just started Rascal on the BARF diet and she loves it. Her coat has gone super sleek, smooth and shiny and she's the picture of good health. We're still working on the most cost efficient source for fresh meat.

For dry food we went with the Pedigree puppy food initially because that is what she was being fed by her breeder. Seems OK but we're not really in a position to judge.
rascal_dog
rascal_dog
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Good quality dried dog food in Australia Empty Re: Good quality dried dog food in Australia

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 16:35

Roxy was on Iams Puppy when we collected her, but I changed her (gradually) to Royal Canin. We have never had an issue with it. She enjoys it and is happy and healthy.
In the morning she gets her dry food, and in the late arvo/evening she has some "Tucker Time" dog loaf/roll mixed with her dry food.

I also give her the occasional raw meaty bone, kangaroo tail etc..... Last week she had some lamb heart which she really enjoyed too.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboydave Thu Jun 16 2011, 22:55

Thanks allot Rascal and Loopy very helpful, it is so hard to know what to feed as we have been told a few different things from the 2 vets we have seen from the same place and also from the puppy school and other dog owners.

Not that Stanley is bothered by what you put in front of him, he pretty much eats everything we give hime except he is not too keen on Roo meat even though it is human grade.

Will look into the dry food you have both suggested.

Cheers thumbs up
cowboydave
cowboydave

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17 2011, 16:30

Winston has the Pal Pedigree puppy dry food... and I just won a bag of Eukenuba Puppy Food which he absolutely loves too. ( Won it in Dogs Life magazine comp )
The dry food Bondi Vet recommends is Optimum I think.
Winston also loves the puppy tuckertime roll that Lisa feeds Roxy as well. I buy him the odd tin here and there of puppy food, but he is not fussed too much on them. He loves a tin of sardines every now and then as well..

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboydave Sun Jun 19 2011, 23:33

vanessa wrote:

Winston has the Pal Pedigree puppy dry food... and I just won a bag of Eukenuba Puppy Food which he absolutely loves too. ( Won it in Dogs Life magazine comp )
The dry food Bondi Vet recommends is Optimum I think.
Winston also loves the puppy tuckertime roll that Lisa feeds Roxy as well. I buy him the odd tin here and there of puppy food, but he is not fussed too much on them. He loves a tin of sardines every now and then as well..

Thanks Vanessa for the help. Heard allot of good things about the Eukenuba is one I was interested in trying as well.

Cheers
cowboydave
cowboydave

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt Thu Dec 29 2011, 03:47

Having been there and done that, I will never feed either canned or dried food to a dog.

Feed our pup Optium dried food and it made him crook.

Changed to My Dog canned puppy food and it made him worse, diarrhea with blood and he was not gaining weight.

Searching the web I was convinced that the only way to know what a dog is eating is to prepare it yourself.

We buy diced casserole meat and chicken breast fillets from Woolworths, we then mash up vegies that have been cooked in the microwave, add boiled rice or pasta, cooked egg, sprinkle with bran, include a chicken neck, vitamin/mineral powder, drizzle with olive oil and he eats it in seconds.

All the problems disappeared after two feeds and he is now healthier than a Mallee bull.

Good quality dried dog food in Australia 01311
oldsalt
oldsalt

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angus McTavish
Dog(s) Ages : 2,5
Support total : 2

http://www.tri-service.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 09:01

Vlad is on Eukanuba puppy food (soon to be adult) roo meat for lunch and 2 scrambled eggs for dinner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sookies Mum Sat Dec 31 2011, 08:16

Sookie has chicken necks or fresh mince for breakfast then she get Supercoat puppy the rest of the day...good as gold nerd
Sookies Mum
Sookies Mum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sookie
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down