Getting dogs to respect new living room?

3 posters

Go down

Getting dogs to respect new living room? Empty Getting dogs to respect new living room?

Post by Bailey & Baxter Tue Sep 09 2014, 11:37

Before I ask for pointers, I'm fully aware that the problem we currently have is our fault. We've got a 4 year old Brindle staff called Bailey and a 6 month old staff/Patterdalecross called Baxter. We love them to death.

The problem we’re having is we just renovated our living room & the Mrs settled on a leather sofa – I don’t want to have the dogs permanently shut in the kitchen as it’s not fair on them at all….but when I tried letting them out on Friday for ten minutes to see if they behaved their behavior was unacceptable – both the pup and the older one were jumping up and putting their claws up when I’d asked them not to We normally give them the run of the kitchen which is a decent size, they are walked a bare minimum of 3 times a day for a good distance but the pup in particular is still far too excited when I do try and let him in.

Admittedly, we let Baxter away with murder as pertains to getting up on the sofa when he was much younger and smaller – his claws are sharp now and he’s taller all be it leaner than Bailey now so with the new sofa being leather it’s a problem..

He is a clever thing and toilet training him was an absolute breeze, he’s getting there with basic commands.

Between jumping too much on people and furniture I really want to calm him down as whilst Bailey is great with him he’s starting to get pissed off with him a lot more lol.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stewart.

Bailey & Baxter
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Getting dogs to respect new living room? Empty Re: Getting dogs to respect new living room?

Post by Rachel33 Tue Sep 09 2014, 17:47

Does he have his own space in the living room? A bed each would be helpful, then giving them an alternative command of "go to bed" rather than just telling them off. You could give them a kong each in their beds too, to settle them down initially. Otherwise, a throw to cover the sofa when the dogs are in there could be helpful?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Getting dogs to respect new living room? Empty Re: Getting dogs to respect new living room?

Post by Sazzle Tue Sep 09 2014, 20:19

I have leather sofas and just use a throw where Daisy's sits, she has learned not to go on the one without the throw x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down