thinking about getting another staffy

+3
janey
Steve
barneykev
7 posters

Go down

thinking about getting another staffy Empty thinking about getting another staffy

Post by barneykev Mon Jul 07 2014, 21:48

hi all , looking for some advise , we are thinking about getting another staff but are worried it will upset my 2 year old female lola , we would get a puppy but not sure weather to go for male or famale , lola is a fantastic dog in everyway , she is great with my kids and has not got a nasty bone in her , she is very good with other dogs when we are out and when off lead , iam just worried she might change or be jealous or am i being over worried ,

Last edited by Kathy on Tue Jul 08 2014, 14:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy Training & Behaviour)

barneykev
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola
Dog(s) Ages : two
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

thinking about getting another staffy Empty Re: thinking about getting another staffy

Post by Steve Mon Jul 07 2014, 22:15

it very unwise having 2 the same sex in the same house one day you may end up with a dead dog or two dying dogs

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

thinking about getting another staffy Empty Re: thinking about getting another staffy

Post by janey Mon Jul 07 2014, 22:19

Recommended a different sex. Wish I could have another but Moo is soooo territorial she wouldn't have it. Good luck Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 08 2014, 14:32

I have moved your post to the Training & Behaviour section as you may get more views here.

I have never had two dogs together so cannot really give an informed reply, most would suggest you go for one of each sex though.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Jul 09 2014, 16:39

I would go for male in your case, as well. You would have to give her lots of attention, only one- on- one time, so she doesn't feel left out. There nothing worst then jealous dog. And when she finally accept the other dog and the dog will learn all the rules, you have to treat them equally. Good luck
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09 2014, 17:16

Definitely go for a male. Make sure you introduce them properly - on neutral ground and slowly if possible. You'll also have to learn to divide your time so that they both get one on one time, training time apart and play time alone too. Two can be an absolute joy, but it takes dedication, consistency and quite a bit of work but handled the right way it can bring double the love and happiness Smile We look forward to hearing what you decide.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Tue Jul 15 2014, 01:13

I don't believe in this same sex thing, i'v had two males together and currently have two females and a male, not a squabble out of either of them not over toys, foods or me.
If you plan on rescuing you can foster your chosen dog to see if yours will get jealous or aggressive, there's not pressure and you can try her with both males and females, looking back on her interactions with other dogs, which do you think she has gotten on with the best?

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Jul 15 2014, 07:43

I'd go for a male also. And every behaviourist that I've worked with has always recommended a male with my dog. It is of course possible for male/male or female/female mixes to get on, dependent on personality really, but I'd always get the opposite.

Does Lola mix with dogs often? And has she ever had dogs staying at the house? Does she tend to attention seek?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down