Rachel33
Iannis
Kathy
9 posters

Go down

Thinking of getting a second Staffy Empty Thinking of getting a second Staffy

Post by Iannis Fri Aug 29 2014, 10:30

Hi all,

I currently own the most wonderful 2 year old female staffy. However due to my long working hours i sometimes leave her alone for 8 hours +. She seems ok as i never find any damage or any complaints from my neighbours.

I am considering getting a second staffy to keep her company. What do you guys think? Should I get a male or female? How difficult does life get with 2 staffies?

Thanks

Iannis
Iannis
Iannis
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Chica
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a second Staffy Empty Re: Thinking of getting a second Staffy

Post by Kathy Fri Aug 29 2014, 13:06

I have never had two dogs together so can only give limited advice.

Would you be getting a puppy or an older dog ?, taking into account that a puppy will need someone at home all day for the first 6 months at least ?

Would you be crating one or the other ?

Most would suggest to go for the opposite sex you have now as male and female would get along better than two males (they may see each other as a challenge).

8 hours + is a long time to leave a dog home alone and I personally wouldn't do it.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a second Staffy Empty Re: Thinking of getting a second Staffy

Post by Iannis Fri Aug 29 2014, 14:55

Thanks for your reply.

Was looking at getting a 10 week old male puppy.

Could you elaborate on why I would need to be home for 6 months with the pup?
Iannis
Iannis

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29 2014, 15:21

You'd need to be at home to house train, train and generally keep an eye on them as they settle into their new life together. Also, pup will go through the teenage phase which can be trying for both you and your female.

Having two is double the fun, double the love and double the games...but it's also double the responsibility and lots and lots of rough play which takes getting used to and knowing when to step in Smile

Lots of luck with your decision Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Aug 29 2014, 15:42

Hm.. i'm torn. Whilst it would be great for her to have company, ultimately it will just result in 2 dogs being left for long periods? Is this 8+ hours 5 days a week? Not all dogs can cope with being left for long hours, in fact, there have been studies recently showing that far fewer dogs are actually coping with being left than we would imagine. Depression/lacking stimulation is often mistaken for calm behaviour. 8 hours is quite a long time to be holding bladders, have you ever thought of using a dog walker/pet visitor to give them a break in the day? I too have to leave my girl, I work shifts 3 or 4 days a week, but she's only alone for 4 hours at the most between pet visitor/my partner, we try to work opposite shifts whenever possible so that she's never left for too long .

If you do decide to take in another, if you would need to continue leaving them for 8 hours i'd probably opt for an older rescue dog, as leaving a puppy for that long would be a big no no. If you do decide to go with an adult dog I would foster first to ensure that they get on well. It will be double everything - food, poo picking up, leads, beds, crates, vet bills, insurance, toys and of course cuddles!! I have tried fostering lots of different dogs with my girl, but have now decided to keep her as an only dog due to some bad experiences - however, she is a rehabilitation case and needs a lot of work and walks can be quite difficult at times. Is your girl fully trained on the lead and in all of her commands? Does she have any behavioural issues? Would she be likely to get jealous? Is she good with dogs already? Lots to consider. But could be very rewarding if you get it right Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Aug 29 2014, 20:16

I have to agree that your circumstances aren't suitable for a pup but maybe an older rescue dog would work.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 29 2014, 20:25

if you decide yo ge another dont have the same sex some people can get away with if they are home all the time to stop anythign that could turn nasty

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iannis Mon Sep 01 2014, 11:57

Decided not to get the pup for now.

Re the 8+ hour issue, she has an outdoor space where to do her business, besides she gets an hour walk before i go to work and another 2 hour walk in the evenings. Weekends are spent at the beach Wink

Wish i could spend more time home during the week however i need to work to put food on the table and pay the bills
Iannis
Iannis

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fay_elizabeth Mon Sep 01 2014, 16:17

Do you think you'll consider an older rescue dog?
fay_elizabeth
fay_elizabeth
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Prudence
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by Iannis Mon Sep 01 2014, 16:21

If the right one comes along yes
Iannis
Iannis

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Sep 01 2014, 23:57

Its all about finding the right dog, id like a second but the more i think practically about it i dont think Ledger would cope with sharing the attention. I know of someone who is trying to get rid of her 9 month old female and currently torn with whether to trial her
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy1984 Sat Sep 06 2014, 10:39

8 hours plus a day it gets left ? Not being smart here but why do you even have one dog let alone think of another. ? Your life doesn't have time for one dog never mind 2. It's cruel leaving them that long

Tommy1984
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Swiper Sun Sep 07 2014, 20:36

IMHO getting a second dog to keep the 1st one company is not a good idea, especially when dealing with this breed.

Your couch may be gone when you come home Tongues

Or worse.....
Swiper
Swiper

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Swiper
Dog Gender(s) : Male intact
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down