Advise please

4 posters

Go down

Advise please Empty Advise please

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 07:53

Hi
I know this topic has been covered in general on here but I have one question about neutering. I have brother and sister 15 weeks old now and my boy Boris last night has started trying to dominate and mount Betty Sad . We had already decided to neuter both pups but we are not sure if we neuter Boris now if it will stunt his growth in any way?
Has anyone neutered their boy so young and if so did it have any adverse affect on their overall size?
Thank you Love Struck Love Struck

r6joe
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Advise please Empty Re: Advise please

Post by BellaBluebell Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:34

I dont really see any reason to neuter quite so young most vets wont do it untill at least 6mnths i think.
BellaBluebell
BellaBluebell
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Bluebell(staff) Phoebe(am cocker) Pippa(cav) William(cav)
Dog Gender(s) : 3 bitches 1 dog
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:40

Ahh I didnt know it couldnt be done so young, our main reason is he is trying to mount his sister which is a big no and they are only 15 weeks old Sad

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:42

could they just be playing

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:47

Thats what I first thought Lynne but he got kind of over dominant and he was "ready" if you know what I mean?

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:06

It wasnt like that for me as my girl was 3 when I got the dog so she showed him whats acceptable and whats not so hes never mounted her and never tries. Some will just stand there and let them do anything though so I think you need to tell him no and show him the rules good luck.
As for your boys growth well I beleive his genetics determin what size, shape he will be I was lucky enough to meet both my 2 mothers and fathers and they have developed pretty much as expected.
My girl is neutered and that only happened when she was 3 I gave her the opertunity to mature and in my case found her to change slightly a little nervous and very clingy. My boy is not neutered I wouldnt know what effect it would have on your dog sorry Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:11

My boy was neutered at 5months old and his growth is fine, like said above I think its more about genetics than castrations.

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:42

Thanks guys, that has put my mind at rest I need to do something to make sure they both stay safe around each other as much as we like to try you cannot keep your eye on them 100% of the time and I would hate for him to hurt her or the other way around.
Thank you Smile

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 10:31

Hiya at this age it wont be sexual just playing or assurting themselves, i have two netured boys and they ocassionally "hump" eachother dont tell anyone
Obviously as soon as they are old enough they or at least one of them will need to be done. Not sure on girls but boys can be done as soon as testies have decended and that usually happens at around 6 months. Please just keep an eye on the female for signs of her coming into season early as if it does happen then obviously the last thing u want is her being so young and pregnant, it could kill her. x

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaBluebell Wed Jun 08 2011, 10:46

My female cocker humps my female cavalier and not even always the right end lol so def not always sexual!!!!
BellaBluebell
BellaBluebell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Bluebell(staff) Phoebe(am cocker) Pippa(cav) William(cav)
Dog Gender(s) : 3 bitches 1 dog
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 11:03

I know it isnt always sexual but he had his sky rocket out when I got to them after hearing her scream really loud and she was a bit shaken when I picked her up. Sad

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 11:35

Well if i were u i would make sure they are always supervised and separated when u cant supervise just to avoid any accidents and like i said get them done at 6 months x

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 11:39

They have never been seperated if they cant see each other they panick so dont really want to seperate them. Boris has an appointment tomorrow at the vets they said they will have a look at him and give us some advice before we book anything, and its a free check too Smile

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:02

r6joe wrote:Ahh I didnt know it couldnt be done so young, our main reason is he is trying to mount his sister which is a big no and they are only 15 weeks old Sad

At 15 weeks, neither are ready to mate, and nothing would come of it until the female comes in to saeson for the first time. He's being dominant. You have to teach him that it isn't acceptable, but that will mean either being with them all the time to step in when necessary or you'll have to seperate them when you're not there. Have you the room for two crates? That way you could crate them in the same room when you're not around - they'll be able to see each other but not get to each other.

15 weeks is far too young to even consider neutering.

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:36

Thank you Caryll, yes we do have two crates so it wouldnt be too difficult to put them in their own crates. When I spoke to the vet he said that so long as he is a good weight for his age and his testicles have dropped (which they had done the last time he was at the vets) there is no reason why he cant be done? wonder why he said this if 15 weeks is too young? do you think he is just thinking of the money?
What is the main reason 15 weeks is too young, so I can challenge my vetg on this please?

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:42

I wouldn't dream of challenging your vet! I'm not an expert. However, I just feel that a dog (or bitch) should be allowed to mature first so that their true character & temperament can develop. Early neutering can lead to other health issues such as nervousness and incontinence. Have a read through this..........

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:44

I will have a read Caryll you scared me a little bit with the too young to even consider lol Thank you for your help though Smile

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:47

I am very pro neutering where as caryll has a slightly different take on it lol Tongues Caryll thinks a dog should be left to mature first which is fine but in your particular circumstances ie) u have a un spayed female as well i think even she will agree that he needs to be done sooner rather than later. 15 weeks even for me is too soon! Wait untill hes 6-7 months but pay attention to signs of female possibley coming into season early to avoid anything happening! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:49

oh and yes there is the possiblity of health issues with early neturing but there are also serious health issues with not doing it as well, just to confuse u further x

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:58

Wow all this information is like a brain overload lol confused I think maybe I will leave him until he is around 5-6 months then book him in (thats only another 5-9 weeks) so not too bad. Thank you everyone for your information it all helps me (I think!!) lol

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 16:47

blaze wrote:but pay attention to signs of female possibley coming into season early to avoid anything happening! x

VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! You obviously don't want any mishaps.

I agree with Carly that you'll need to get him done. Out of the two, I would rather neuter the male early than the female, as the health issues for neutering females early are greater than with males. A female's vulva may not develop properly if she doesn't have at least 1 season & that could cause incontinence ot urine burn, neither of which are pleasant!

I'm not against neutering at all, although I sometimes come across as anti! I just think that the health issues caused by neutering early outweigh those caused by neutering later.

If you see what I mean. hypnotised

Back to top Go down

Post by r6joe Thu Jun 09 2011, 08:14

Thank you Caryll I think we will wait until he is 6 months old he is 4 months now so not too long to wait, and yes we will keep a very close eye for Betty coming into season too Smile

r6joe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Thu Jun 09 2011, 08:35

i think its a thing they do my 3 boys 13 wks do it lol Big Grin

fourstaffs